28 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2013 10:48 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Kennedy Space Center FF- A Winner!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

The second time around was just as nice as the first stay!

Celebrating the New Year here was wonderful.

The staff and location, I-95 and Highway 50, makes this FF a real plus!

Durango's and Sonny's are close by as well as our favorite fine dining loacal in Cocoa Village, Cafe Margaux.  KSC is nearby and so is Ron Jon's at Cocoa Beech.

All in all, this is a clean, well kept and newer property that is worth the stay!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Orlando, Florida, USA
Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center
  • Re: Kennedy Space Center FF- A Winner!
    californian Platinum 37 Reviews

jerrycoin Can't find the post about the manatees and the bridge to stand on.  Please give info again.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

californian,

I don't know what happened to the post, but I will try to keep it simple and post it again.

From the FF in Titusville, go East on Hwy 50 to US 1, go left, go to Garden Street, go right across The Indian River and follow the signs to Haulover Canal.

You will see the signs for Manatee Park.  Enjoy the free scenic area!

IMG_2526.JPG

Follow the signs!

IMG_2527.JPG

You can enjoy the area!

IMG_2528.JPG

A very pretty park!

IMG_2529.JPG

There are many manatees in the canal!

californian, hope this helps!  If you need more information, let me know!

Thanks Jerry.  I would like to see the day when all this valuable information on this site is easier to fiind.

californian,

If/when you go to KSC, please get in touch, and I will share more details on the area with you!

Location Brand Hotel
          Titusville, Florida, USA Fairfield Inn By Marriott Fairfield Inn & Suites Titusville Kennedy Space Center

Jerry,

I will be in Orlando from Apr 7 - 21.  I plan to go to the space center and see the manatees during that time.  It will probably take 2 days and I am debating if I will spend the night at the FFI or drive back and forth.

californian,

I would recommend staying in Orlando and driving back.  It's only 40 minutes and if your room is comfortable, I would keep it.

One place to enjoy dining by the airport in Orlando, is the Bonefish Grill, it is open late, you can split entree's and it is really good.  Just North of the airport, on the left hand side of the road.

The places to dine in Titusville are close to the intersection of I-95 and hwy 50.  Sonny's BBQ, or Durango's at the Best Western.

You can't go wrong, and if you have time, go to the Titusville Pier.  It is good and inexpensive for a meal, and a view.

Good luck!

Thanks Jerry.

Jerry,

Orlando has a new Bonefish near Seaworld.  I tried it and it was rally good and priced reasonably.

They have a special if you buy a $50 gift card, you get a bonus of $10 free.  I am going back tonight and will buy the gift card.

californian,

Good to know!

I usually eat at the Bonefish, just North of the airport, across from the Marriott!

Thanks for the tip on The other Bonefish!

Have a great time!

Did you make it to "Old Town" in Kissimmee?  That is nice!

No.  If I keep reading, I will have to return many more times.  I do appreciate all your help.  Hwy 50 noxt time too.

californian,

There are a lot of great local places to take your loved ones that are quite inexpensive.

We will be in touch many times before November to share stories.

Good!

Some time ago, I sent you a private message about Fairbanks that I think you didn't get.

I saw the northern lights every night beginning with from the plane.  Each night got a little better which was nice.  I took 2 tours and rented a car for one night.  The trip was worthwhile.  I think you would have enjoyed it.

I never got it, if you sent it to me!

It appears thqat there is a problem with private messages.  Andy is working on it.  The question is how many did we miss?

Thanks Jerry.  I saw the manatees today.  It was on the late side so the only visible ones were close to shore.  I saw 4.

The Space Center now charges $10 to park.  It was not very crowded.  They expect to get really busy once the Atlantis is on display which will be late June.  When I was there last year, they said it would be on display this year.  A year later, I thought it would be done.

californian,

Glad you made it to see the manatees!

Now if you need a place to have dinner, let me know!

Try to take in CC Beach if you can, it is fun and inexpensive. 

It is sad that they have to charge $10 to park at KSC!  The government is down on the space center, and it was always free till recent times.

Good luck on your trip, and if I can provide any information that will make it more enjoyable, let me know!

I already did that this trip and with the tolls, it is less appealing to go back.  I plan to return in Nov to see the space shuttle and will try to go to Cocoa Beach that trip.

I planned to go to Pensacola to see the Blue Angles practice demo and that has been canceled.  It is disappointing.

californian,

Yes the tolls take their toll!

You can just take hwy 50, with no tolls.

Sorry to hear about the Blue Angels, this is sad, because the government could do it.

Take care!

Hwy 50 looks like a choice.  It does look like it would be a longer route and with the cost of gas might not save that much.  My tolls were $4.25 each way and the pain of stopping at the toll booths.  I will consider in Nov.

As for the Blue Angles, they practice out of their home base in Pensacola.  They practice 6 days a week to retain their skills and while doing so allow the public to watch 2 days a week.  It is staffed by volunteers.  They are going to continue practicing anyway, only now we can't watch.  Now that is a real cost saving.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Cal, I find this information interesting.  The Blue Angels will continue practicing in spite of the sequester, yet my son-in-law's Apache helicopter battalion has cut back on training and practice missions due to budget cuts.  None of this makes a whole lot of sense to me either.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

And with all this money being saved, our taxes will go down, right???

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Buhahahahahaha.

(I would consider it a huge win just to see the national debt stop rising.)

pluto,

You and me agree on that point!

Must share with you my latest experience at Promintory Point in Utah.  Went there in the middle of the week, and FOUR PEOPLE, which we were two went on the locomotive tour of 40 minutes.  All but a very few people here are volunteers, there are a few Park Rangers.

At the end of the tour, one of the other people asked about hours and dates of the parks being open.  You should have heard how long the Ranger talked about the "Sequester" effects on this park.  Indicated that the season will probably cut the season by one month!  I couldn't imagine this place actually having to do that.  This place should be run by "Private Business" and save the taxpayers a lot of money.

Just my opinion, based upon two trips to this park.

I am with both of you. 

It is like when they want a tax hike, they threaten police, schools, etc that people want but not all the waste.

The state of CA makes $3 for every dollar it spends on the state parks but always treated to close them.

californian,

HWY 50 can be slower, but you might try it once,  There is an interesting town along the way, Christmas, Fl, and it has some neat tourist "Traps", and in November you can mail some Christmas Cards from their Post Office.

Likewise, go East of there on 50 and stop at The St. John's River and take an air boat ride!

californian,

Make sure you let me know before you go back to CC Beach!

I used to be on The Board for The CoC, and would like to recommend some nice inexpensive places to visit, as well as dine at!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...