17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 6, 2011 9:28 PM by jerrycoin RSS

My Holiday Travel Story-Wentworth by the Sea, 2010

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As the shuttle from Logan pulls up to this impressive "Monument" of  a hotel you knew you were in for something special!  A White Christmas was on the way, and how white or wild was going to be anyone's guess.  As Elyss checked us in, Will took the bags to the room, the charming Christmas decorations were most beautiful.  You felt you were on the set of a Christmas movie!

Room 338 was more than adequate for the holiday season.  A fireplace, view of the Atlantic, dining room table and a most spacious bathroom.  The room service was reasonable and relaxing after a long flight.

The staff could not have been more supportive.  Mitch, shuttled us to/from Portsmouth, Ben (Pictured)was a consummate professional as Manager of the Dining area, Dave served some great libations, and young ladies serving great food, all did nice work.  The Christmas dinner of turkey was tasty appropriate for royalty!  An indoor swim, while it "Snowed and blowed" made a person feel very lucky to be here.

One thing that really made this stay unique was that the front desk gave Platinum members a $30 coupon (The CL was closed), and this coupon was good for ROOM SERVICE as well.  I do not recall ever getting this "Perk" ever before.  It made the blueberry pancakes with pepper bacon even taste better as I sat in the room admiring the ocean and snow.

This trip would have never happened if it had not been for the Insider.  Reading about TJC's experience at Wentworth by the Sea was motivating to me.  I only hope others can benefit from the Insider like I have over the years.

Happy New Year to all!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New Castle, New Hampshire, USA
  • Re: My Holiday Travel Story-Wentworth by the Sea, 2010
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

I've never stayed there but certainly should!  I too am amazed that they gave you a $30 certificate for anything.  The only comparable thing was as I mentioned in a recent post finding a half bottle of Veuve Clicquot and chocolates every day during one stay at the Rive Gauche.

Happy New Year! ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, great post and this certainly defines "the spirit to serve" at a Marriott property.  Hope you'll commend those associates to the management if you have a chance.

Thanks Professor,

Yes, the $30 certificate was because the CL was closed on the week-end, but I have never been able to use them for room service.  The prices were most reasonable even for room service and It was wonderful to have the dining room table for the room service.

I really did NOT expect the genuine kind service from ALL the staff I encountered.  They seemed to be especially helpful to the many families that were enjoying the property.

There was much to do in downtown Portsmouth where you could walk to sights like John Paul Jones home, as well as nice dining places like The Library Steakhouse, and The Black Trumpet (Christmas Eve, the goose was great!).

Stepping,

Thanks for reminding me to thank Josh, (He works the front desk and made sure I got a nice "Platinum" room).  Likewise, Tracy and Jen as well as Olga and her partner made dining in the historic hotel rest. so very memorable.  The team-work by the staff was excellent, especially considering this place is most popular to people from three nearby states.

Stepping, I probably fill out more "Comment" cards for staff than I should, but it is fun to look for "Positive" ways to make travel more enjoyable.  Whether staying at a resort or a FF for the night, it is great to see professionals at Marriott who are doing their best to provide me with a positive experience.  I really do not get that at most other hotels, no matter what the cost.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, one of the things that filling out those cards does at most hotels is to give recognition to an associate who has gone beyond the baseline for exceptional service.

I know that at the hotels where I am all too frequently a guest these cards have resulted in formal recognition and in some cases monetary rewards for the associate. You can always try what's called a Spirit to Serve recognition, essentially a letter or an email to corporate with a copy to the hotel's management detailing how an associate enhanced your stay.  The more detail the better since there must be literally thousands of good deeds done by associates in a given week.

There's always a standout or two or three, like the folks at Wentworth by the Sea whom you mentioned.  Compliments have consequences for these hard working associates so yes, if you can, pass them on.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry:

Great post! Having lived in MA and NH for so many years I never had the reason to stay there. Passed by many times and it is truly a monument (throw back to yesteryear) and the setting is impressive, right on the ocean. I'm glad the experience was so good because your descriptive certainly puts the location on my "must stay" list when I visit my old homestead.

TEF,

Find a good reason to try the hotel!

It should be a relaxing experience for you.  Just watch the weather in Winter!

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Jerry:

As usual GREAT post I enjoy and rely on your posts...Bill

Judge,

Thank-you so much!

Later this month I am staying at Camelback Inn, Scottsdale and it's been too long since I was there.  Will have an up to date report.

Judge, do you have any experience in Williamsburg,  Va?  Planning, a trip there and looking for travel tips!

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/Wentworth.jpg

Jerry,

Thanks for the kind words, the upbeat review and the great photos.  Recently upgraded to a Category 7, Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea is truly a gem.  On your next visit, do consider reserving one of the Little Harbor Marina Suites (above).  These are one and two bedroom duplex villas with fully loaded kitchens and 5 fixture master baths.  Very light, airy, spacious and luxurious with terraces overlooking the Atlantic and Wentworth Marina just steps away from the main hotel building.  Ideal any time of year, the Little Harbor Marina Suites are especially prized during warmer weather since they are located closer to the outdoor pool and cabanas.  In fact, the Little Harbor Marina Suites have their own pool at boardwalk level.

For those who live in New England, Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea is an absolutely perfect venue for that corporate retreat or family gathering.  And, if you're considering a long winter weekend, I highly recommend booking between January 14 and February 26 since the Wentworth hosts the Winter Wine Festival 2011.

Jerry, Amelie is the best.  Relatively new, Josh is the FD mgr.  Less polished and engaging regarding Elite expectations, he follows in the footsteps of Trevor who was so extraordinary he was summoned to open a new hotel in Montreal.  Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea is just one of three properties operated by Ocean Properties Ltd in Portsmouth including the Courtyard Portsmouth and newly opened Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Jerry:

I was in Virginia Beach for a judge's conference and we drove up to Williamsburg for a day.  It is well worth the visit!  I can't provide many particulars because lunch was catered and we did not stay in the area, but if you have not been it is history coming alive there.

TJC,

Thanks for the additional information!

You know the people and the service well!  I did not know about the Marina but will next time.  I also forgot to mention Mary C., who was great at providing information on the surrounding area.

Your picture says it all!  Likewise, what a place for a "Business retreat"!

Keep the information coming!

[Edited by: Host_SaraM]

Judge,

Sounds like you had a great day at Williamsburg!

I called and spoke to Susan at Marriott Ford's Colony and am finalizing a trip there for Christmas 2011!

Thanks for the motivation.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jerry,

Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea Little Harbor Marina Suites complex not only includes the villas, pool and cabana area, there is also Latitudes, a waterfront bar and dining venue.  Like many New England seaside venues, Latitudes closes around Columbus Day for the season and reopens around Memorial Day. When open, Latitudes is packed by seafarers and landlovers alike.  The food is delicious, the service is always attentive and the atmosphere upscale New England waterfront.  A must try!

TJC,

Count me in on the next trip to Wentworth.

If you have any tips on Camelback Marriott, let me know.  That is my next big trip!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jerry

Consider starting a new discussion on Camelback.  

TJC,

Will do!

I can't believe I have already been contacted by their concierge to see how they can make my trip better!

TJC, they are so sold out I can't even get the room I want, but I will settle for a fireplace at the end of January!

Thanks for all of your input.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...