14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2011 6:43 PM by nuhusker RSS

IPad compatibility with Insiders

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Using my IPad, when I click on reply to a post, I am not able to get the key board to come up.  Thus, I can read Insiders all day long, but have to go to PC in order to create or reply to a post.  Anyone else having this problem?  Thanks.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: IPad compatibility with Insiders
    curiousone Platinum

I noticed the same thing. The fact is that there are many web sites that are not Safari compatible. I assume that over time that will change as more and more people note that they are having problems using Safari on particular web sites.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

NUHusker,

Good job.  Unwittingly, it appears you have identified one of the barriers to participation.  If Insiders was cross-browser friendly, participation would be greater.  Cross-browser compatibility merits adding to the 'Stimulus Plan'.  Btw, are  you able to book reservations at Marriott.com using Safari?

blava007 Platinum

Marriott has a long standing working relationship with Microsoft, thus (Hotel maps were migrated to Microsoft, etc.) and their focus is on Explorer.  The slow loading of the Marriott website is another problem that needs to be corrected.     

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

To All

for whatever it is worth, I use a Mac (thus safari) and have no issues at all with the Marriott site.  I don't think safari is the problem. Maybe it is the ipad itself.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Based upon your comments, am testing Insiders on Safari 5.0.3 for Windows XP on a Dell Latitude w/o Reply issues.

denroadwarrior Platinum 1 Reviews

Same problem on the Marriott Vacation Club site.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/MVCISafariCompatibility.jpg

Again, excellent feedback regards Marriott Vacation Club.  As shown above, MVCI has a 'Browser Compatibility Advisory' stating that the web site is not compatible with Safari or Chrome.

As constructive feedback, perhaps Insiders might consider such advisories as well.  Browser compatibility or lack thereof presents a barrier to participation and can be off-putting.  An Advisory provides a heads-up that can circumvent user frustration and thereby provides a band-aid as more user-friendly development and enhancement moves forward.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Firefox is definitely more user friendly with rich text hyperlinks and allows internet images to be embedded directly into the Insider post window.  Safari doesn't.

Firefox is more intuitive when it comes to creating links, too. Safari insists on opening a new window (or tab) and that's confusing.

What about Ask and Answer?  Can you post a question from your iPad?

Ipad works on Ask and Answer as well as PM, but still not making or responding to a post on Insiders.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Is the nasty rumor true that iPad is Flash challenged?

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Good Morning, all.

I thought I would provide an update on this issue, as I had reached out to our community vendor. They were able to provide me a technical summary of what seems to be the issue, and for those that are curious, I'd be happy to provide the specifics and associated "jargon" upon request. For now, they have informed me of the following:

...options to make reply access available to Insiders accessing the community via their iPads is being looked into.

Specific promises or projections cannot be made at this point.

I will be sure to keep the community informed as we learn more from our vendor.

Thanks,

Andrew

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I don't have an IPAD, but I do use a Mac, with both Safari and Firefox as my browsers. I never have problems with Firefox, but do with Safari.  It will work fine until I leave for a while, then when I try to log in again it gives me an error message.  So I usually just stick with FF.

ProfChiara

TJC -- Re Adobe v. Ipad compatibility, it is a problem.

Added:  Now I know why the salesman told me not to depend on the Ipad as my only computer.  It's convienient, but definitely has limitations I'm not used too, and probably others I haven't discovered yet.

Update:  I was able to make two posts using the Ipad, but for the past couple of days it's a No-Go.  Any other insiders having similar problem?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...