10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2011 2:19 PM by iestrikesback RSS

Has anyone stayed at San Diego Marriott Del Mar?

njfamilyguy Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I am booking a short vacation for me, wife, 2 teenagers in SD in February, planning to stay at SD Marriott Del Mar.  Hard for me to tell what goes on near the hotel vs. staying in the city.  Anyone familiar with the area I know it is near racetrack and golf course but are the beaches accessible?  Anything to do in Del Mar or do we need to go into city everyday?

Thanks!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Diego, California, USA
  • Re: Has anyone stayed at San Diego Marriott Del Mar?
    travelguy Platinum

I stayed there a few years ago.  Very nice hotel.  You are just blocks away form the GasLamp area.  It is an area of blocks that boast really nice restaurants, many with outside seating.  It has a European feel to me.  You're a short walk from the WWII battleship Midway.  There's also a rail nearby that will take you to Tiajuana.  You're staying in a really nice area and you'll find plenty to do in walking distance.  Especially if you like to stop for a few cocktails.  You'll have to drive for golf and nice beaches.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Actually I need to disagree with TravelGuy.   The Marriott Del Mar is about 17 miles north of the city and is NOT walking distance to anything except the beach.  I have to say though that the beach in Del Mar and La Jolla are some of the nicest in Southern California.   I think TravelGuy might be referring to the Marriott Marina and Harbor or the Marriott Gaslamp.   Both of these are excellent location and walking distance to everything in town.  I would stay away from Tiajuana since there have been over 50 kidnappings this year and over 500 murders.   Not the same place that it used to be.  About the only thing in Del Mar area beside the beach is the horse racing track which is not suitable for children.    The San Diego Zoo is really close to the Marina or Gaslamp hotels and Sea World is right next to the airport which is just about in city center.     Lot's of nice restaurants, stores, sites in San Diego.   I live about 40 minutes north of the city.  Here's a link to things to do in SD for adults and kids.  Enjoy your trip.   Beautiful city and the weather should be pretty good too.  The beaches are accessible.    The only private beach is the nude beach about 20 minutes north of Del Mar in San Onofre by Camp Pendleton Marine Corp. base.

http://www.sandiego.org/article/Visitors/795

early2bed Platinum

FWIW, one dining place I really like in Del Mar is Jake's.  It's a casually upscale restaurant that is literally right on the beach - if surf's up, you will get splashed if you sit outside!

kirksi Gold

As a matter of fact, I stayed there a couple of months ago.  I was there on business not pleasure.

This is an outstanding hotel. It is a little gem.  I felt like a super star and with the types of cars droping folks off at the lobby I'm sure they stay there too.

Let me know what you think of it.

After readying your post all the way through I've had to add to my post.  I did not have time to explore while I was there. You would have to drive to get to just about anywhere, but I think it would be worth it just to experiance the hotel and the treatment you will receive.

Call the hotel up and ask them.  I'm sure thay'd give you some good feedback about how far the hotel is from things.

destieg Platinum 1 Reviews

You are a bit north of the city but traffic is not too bad on I5 to downtown. You will be neat Torre Pines state beach which is lovley, Legoland for small kids is near by and UC San Diego has a neat Science exposition up north.

If you go into the ciyt the downtown area is nice, if interested take the tour of the aircraft carrier, and go to old San Diego. Of course any trip to SD you should see the Zoo in Balboa park which is also close to downtown area. MAnyn things to do in the SD area and getting around isn't too hard

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I will be there in late January and post my findings then.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree that this is a gem of a property --- but not necessarily for a leisure visitor.  e.g., it is within long walking distance to the LaJolla/Del Mar beaches IF you are willing to traverse under or over I-5, which is 18 lanes wide at this point.

Even though I am a SD County resident, I have stayed here several times for weekend getaways and loved it!

sierrasummers Silver

Yes. It is awsome!! Beautiful resort!

hahaha48 Platinum 2 Reviews

i visited san diego for pleasure about 3 times a year

i have stay at almost all the marriotts there but not the del mar

the best deal if you are price sensitive is to stay at the la jolla or the mission valley. Both are good and reasonable in price and close to sea world and the zoo (especially if you also want to visit the wild ananimal park which is north of san diego)

The one at coronado island is the best but also the most expensive. the downtown one is ok and there is a shopping center there

iestrikesback Platinum 44 Reviews

We've stayed there and prefer it to the La Jolla Marriott.  It's smaller, and they have an excellent breakfast buffet.   

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...