4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 29, 2010 4:40 PM by profchiara RSS

Design your own perfect hotel experience

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Why not?  Take a little time and tell me (and other Insiders) what would constitute a perfect hotel stay experience, regardless of cost (seriously).

For me it would be thus:

1. Arrival details would have been preset, room guaranteed, upgrade to suite guaranteed as available, arrival gift specially chosen for me, and no need to pass through reception, just right to the actual accommodation itself.
  2. Room would be freshened at least twice a day if used, and a small free bar stocked in the room.
  3. Loan of printer and or laptop computers always would be available.
  4. Free pressing of clothes and shoe shines would be offered.
  5. Concierge lounge would be open 24/7 and staffed most of the time with knowledgeable associates who could anticipate as well as react to my needs.
  6. Departure would include a nicely cleaned car, at least windows if possible, and no need to stop by reception, room would be automatically billed.

Anyone else in the dreaming mode?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Design your own perfect hotel experience
    tjcnewyork Platinum

For me, staffed or not, Concierge Lounge access 24/7 is a must-have for a perfect hotel experience.  This is exactly what made my experience at Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea perfect.  Even though the CL is closed on weekends, the room key was programmed to permit access. With 2 refrigerators with bottled water and non-alcoholic beverages well stocked and complimentary, this privilege conveys a high degree of trust for Elite guests.  Trust begets trust which is so essential for rapport and relationship.  Realistically, I can see how this privilege might be abused at another location which is why the experience at Wentworth-by-the-Sea exceeded expectations.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

It would be great for Platinum's to get the exact room number 24 hours before they arrive.  If an upgrade is not available, I can understand, but, when you have family or important events, knowing what the actual room situation is would be great.

Sometimes, the anxiety over the room you will wind up with is too much for me.  I hear people say "I don't time in the room, so the room doesn't matter!  Well it really matters to me because that room is where I DO spend a lot of time!

Lastly, I am tired of feeling like a "Babysitter" in the CL.  I really could care less if people want to take food out to feed their families, but the CL should be a place of reasonable "Peace", not a Day Care.  I am a parent too, but why not have minimum age restrictions, and post them on the door?

diogenes72 Platinum 1 Reviews

These are all great ideas, especially about the CL being stocked with water and soft drinks over the weekend.  I would add a couple more things: in-room coffee makers THAT WORK.  I like to have the coffee ready, so I just have to push the botton to get my first cup in the morning.  It's been my experience that the fancier the property the less likely it is that there will even be a coffee maker in the room!  This is very annoying; when I find such a situation, I make it a practice to leave the hotel for my dining.

The other thing that I would add to the list is ice machines THAT WORK.  Again, I find the same correlation between the "fanciness" of the property and the availability of ice on the room floors.  I don't want to have to call room service for ice; I don't want to wait for it to be delivered; I don't want to have to tip $5 for what should be free because I find I have no singles in my wallet.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi all,

Here's what my perfect stay would be (which sometimes has happened)

I would get a confirmation from the hotel with the details of my room no later than 5 days ahead along with the virtual concierge connection so that I can make myself known to them more personally.

I definitely like the free bar idea -- the only place I know has it is the Porte de Monaco, but what they put in it wasn't worth much -- a bottle or so of water, soda and maybe a beer.  I would like, as a Platinum, to have a gift waiting in my room on arrival regardless of what I chose (pts versus gift).  This has happened to me at both the Grand Flora and the Paris Rive Gauche. I have no idea what I did to deserve it that particular stay but each time I came back to my room there was at the GF a half bottle of Italian red and fruit and at the RG a cold bottle of Veuve Clicquot champagne and chocolates (I should have just left and come back constantly!)  It was like dreamland.

I don't care about the coffeemakers since I'm skeptical of their cleanliness, but do really want a working CL that has it aplenty -- or an equivalent.  I agree wholeheartedly with TJ and Jerry that the CL is not a daycare center.  If there is no one at the entrance desk to the CL then someone should be appointed to take care of rowdy sorts, whether they be children or adults.

I usually get offers of turn downs at night but don't really want that (unless they want to drop off the Veuve Clicquot while they're turning down the bed).

I want easy outlets and if possible both types of current (which more and more hotels in Europe have).  I am tired of having to pick between the light and my computer after scurrying around the floor.  Also, all bathrooms should have useable sockets not just for razors but for hairdryers and curling irons.  There is nothing worse than sitting in a chair in the corner of the room (after unplugging the light) hoping the result is not a disaster and is burn-free.

I would also like easy check-ins and easy departures.  In the past, ironically, even when I wasn't a Platinum, elites had a special line.  I've noticed recently that they have either disappeared or are ignored by the associates behind the desk.

Early check-in!  I realize it's not always possible, but I am not even asking for a suite.  As a solo traveler, I don't need one, and sometimes they're not that convenient.  I once was given a suite (I won't name the city because they probably gave me the best in the property) that was significantly larger than my apartment with two full bathrooms.Yet I had to sit in the living room to watch TV, which I like to do at the end of the day to catch up on news.

But when it comes right down to it, friendly and helpful folks at the desk who really seem to care and a CL that is perfect (or its equivalent) are what I want most. Being remembered is also something that makes the hotel memorable to me.

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...