Wow, we were booked at the Paris CE Dec15-24, and I didn't receive anything...no virtual concierge, and they couldn't give me any info as to possible upgrade, so we canceled and rented a flat! It is the first time we have never stayed at a Marriott, when one was available, but we couldn't take the chance. I only wish we would have gotten our confirmation much earlier. I do believe that months in advance is a bit too much!!!
Mine is the same as NewHiltonMember.
Due to the recent blizzard which brought New York City to a standstill the day-after-Christmas, we were literally holding our breath with fingers crossed that a snow plow would visit our block. Even with a fully loaded Jeep, we were uncharacteristically snowbound road warriors by 18 inches of powder-coated ice until about 11:00 pm, 12/28.
Above: Typical New Yorker struggling on an atypical plowed street. New York Times
Below: Typical unplowed street throughout the city especially in the outer boros. New York Times
My post-holiday check-in orginally planned for 12/26 kept rolling back a day, everyday. With religious like fervor, I called the hotel and asked for another confirmation with reassurance that a comp upgrade was still available. Happily and meeting expectations, my Inbox is filled with Confirmations and Reminders. We're looking forward to getting on the road and checking-in tomorrow.