9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2011 1:30 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Room Night Credit for Reward Point Usage?

curiousone Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

It is obvious that Marriott Reward Points (MRPs) have a monetary value. I can purchase "things" with them, TV, golf clubs, cruises. I can even purchase a room at a Marriott hotel. As a Marriott Reward Program member I can elect to use cash or MRPs to purchase goods or services. In my mind, a MRP is just another form of currency.

If I pay for the hotel room with money I will get a credit for each night's stay that will apply to my elite status. However, if I "pay" for the hotel room with MRPs I do not get a room night credit for my purchase. Same purchase, just a different currency.

I assume that rooms purchased with Canadina $ or Euros get room night credits. Can somebody explain why a room paid for with money is different than a room paid for with MRPs?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Room Night Credit for Reward Point Usage?
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Points are "earned" then used to get something.  Just like anything you buy, these points are then subtracted from your account. If you are not a member of Marriott Rewards then you pay for the room and do not earn any points.  In my mind this means that the points are a value added convenience, and do not increase the price or decrease the price of a room.  The terms and conditions tell us that MRPs have no value, btw.

Award stays, that is those stays for which you use (pay) with points, are, according to the terms and conditions NOT eligible to either qualify as an Elite Qualifying Night or as a points earning stay.  It's been that way as long as I have been in the program. Hope this helps.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Yes, you are absolutely right that if you pay in euros, Canadian dollars, etc., that will be converted to a US dollar amount and you will get the reward points based on that.

So if you paid 100 euros for a hotel room (good luck with that), it would equal about 132USD or 1320 points. The Canadian dollar is about at parity now with the USD so there would be almost no difference in the 10x calculation for most Marriotts or 5x most Residence Inns and longterm stay hotels.

ProfChiara

curiousone Platinum

When I joined Marriott Rewards I agreed to the tems and conditions. I understand that they say the points have no value, but if Marriott will give me a 54" flat screen TV in exchange for some points, they have to have some value. Marriott does not get the TV for free and is not going to give me something for nothing. I would guess that the claim of "no value" may have something to do with taxes. On this same forum, Pingreeman posted his explanation of valuing MRPs. You can find similar posting at web sites such as plasticiq.com.

Marriott, Hilton, etc. all keep improving their reward programs to be competive. My goal here is to start a discussion about points being a currency, with the hope that Marriott will eventually allow reward nights to count towards elite status.

derringw Platinum

Instead of cashing in points for a reward, use your points for Marriott gift cheques.  There is a $1000 certificate (platinum) for 135,000 points.  Then use the certificates to pay for the room and you'll get points and nights credit back.  You have to be platinum and you have to shop for good rates, but you can come out ahead.  Occasionally you have to contact MR to make sure you get credit, but I've done it multiple times.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Absolutely, but consider that the points are a liability in financial terms to Marriott.  They are carried on the balance sheet as being that, I suppose.  Points somehow are part of the cost of the rooms we rent, and like anything else, are not listed separately on our folio as a cost--even though we pay for them indirectly.  All of this is irrelevant since we are earning these points with the intent of using them for TVs or other room nights.  That TV is very expensive compared to retail as had been mentioned on this forum in the past.  One million points for example is 100,000 dollars in spending not includi bonuses.

My question then would be:  Is the point worth what we spend on items in the catalog (high) or for a free room (lower)?  How can this be factored into the elite night suggestion?  Is there a difference or do the points really have only a theoretical value?  I wonder.

curiousone Platinum

Now that is interesting! I have never heard about the gift checks.

pdsmvci Gold

I tend to agree with the OP but understand the policy and that it will likely never be changed.  My problem with the policy is that for those of us that travel a lot and have earned Platinum or Gold status are sitting on a ton of points.  I currently have about 350,000.  I naturally want to use these points for travel this year but if I use them with any regularity I will not have enough nights to earn Platinum again.  I have considered the idea of getting the Marriott Checks with points and using that to pay for the room; I think that is probably the best solution.

Segments Platinum 4 Reviews

Wish MR program would give us a night's credit when points are used (as HHonors does)  but then again MR has the annual rollover points program that HHonors does not. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

Excellent feedback, Allyson.  I agree.  As a Marriott Vacation Club 'legacy' weeks owner, when trading a week for MRPoints it works differently. These points aren't 'earned' as stated, they're acquired by trading.  In fact, an owner cannot redeem these points at another Marriott Vacation Club, only for hotel stays or for merchandise.

Currently, MVCI maintenance fees are hovering around $1,300 which entitle 7 deeded nights at a Marriott Vacation Club which earn EQN.  But, traded for points, the EQN value is lost.  By recognizing/counting nights that are paid or redeemed using points, HHonors is strengthening guests' perception of rewarding loyalty in a way that Marriott has yet to realize.  The alternative of redeeming points for Marriott Certificates presents an option worth exploring.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...