11 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2012 8:46 PM by pluto77 RSS

Hotel Website Email Contact Person

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated
Frequently I get hotel reminders about 5 days before a stay asking for special requests, concierge information, transportation and so forth. Now that Marriott has redesigned its hotel home websites, wouldn't it be a good idea if each hotel had a contact person? The new sites are very attractive, but something major is missing. We often have special needs, questions, tour information, and other things that are not obvious based on the website information. Some of us also have questions about whether blackout dates can be bypassed. It seems to me that if we can provide things like Maps & Transportation and Things To Do, we should also have someone who, if need be, can answer specific questions, e.g.: Is there a Concierge Lounge? Is it open on weekends? Is early check-in available for a particular stay? Can you arrange tours? Many of these issues have come up for me in the past year, and in most cases a 5-day advance email from the hotel has helped answer the questions -- but by no means always. The answers/designated associate could be from Guest Relations, Administration, the Concierge Desk or the Main Desk, but it would in my view be invaluable to have someone I can ask directly about something and get a timely response. This post was inspired by an an unfortunate experience calling a hotel I'll be at next week (booked on conference rates, since it is the main conference hotel) and was told over the phone that it was impossible to help me and maybe I should call closer to the time. The person I spoke with on the telephone was polite, but not willing to go the extra mile because she was obviously too busy with other phone calls. It may also be that conference registrations had not yet been integrated into their system, though they should have by now (as I have found in the past). Since I will be involved in important business at the time, such knowledge in advance is essential in planning for travel, etc. -- yet without such a contact person I will not likely get that five-day advance request for further information since my conference registration is not listed under my Upcoming Reservations. What do the rest of you think of having an email contact person for each hotel? ProfChiara
  • Re: Hotel Website Email Contact Person
    johnsh Silver

I think having a contact person is a great idea. I have not had the same difficulty you have had. When I call the hotel number, which I always input into my phone, I have always gotten an answer to my question. Having a specific person to talk to would be helpful.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Fantastic idea Professor.  This gets to the heart of 21st century service--the ability of a traveler to make specific contact with a knowledgeable associate at a given location to arrange specific requests.

Not a new idea (in the good old days folks knew who you were on sight and anticipated your needs based on past stays.) but a new twist given the Internet and social media.

I hope this can be implemented soon across the board.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

I've suggested something similar in a previous post but I don't believe Marriott will be publishing an e-mail on each hotel's site any time soon. There are several reasons, but perhaps the biggest is to avoid hoteliers from getting "auto-bot spam."

I have had 99% success calling ahead for the GM's e-mail or the Sales Manager's e-mail to negotiate rates for long-term stays. Oftentimes the rates cannot be booked online, so by having an e-mail to send my stay requests works great.

It's interesting that whenever I call a Marriott I often hear lots of phones ringing in the background.  Most emails could probably be handled so much more quickly since a lot of questions will be run of the mill.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

All:

Interesting point on the background of ringing phones, professor.  I have heard via Marriott At Your Service (AYS) associates that the first rule is never put the customer on hold. Wouldn't it be nice if that were the case.  And AYS is normally a function of the front desk management at a full service hotel, but not the hotel's management staff itself. Generally, AYS personnel are fairly new and invariably young--not that that precludes being helpful!

In times past managers even hotel GM's would from time to time pick up the AYS incoming calls during peak periods and answer questions or solve problems. Not anymore apparently due to time constratints and other issues.

Can't we put renewed customer service back into service in a hotel? Not that hard and the suggestions in this thread are not that hard to do.  Here's hoping it happens soon.

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Going to revive an old post here.

Yesterday (or was it the day before), I received a pleasant email from the Concierge at Marriott's Village D'Ile de France.  It went like this:

Dear Mrs Pluto77

************ Pour Francais, S'il vous plaît faites défiler ************

We are delighted that you are soon visiting Marriott’s Village D'Ile de France. Our entire team of associates is here to ensure that you have a memorable vacation experience during your visit.

It is very important for us to have your arrival time to better prepare your arrival. Please reply to this email with your estimated arrival time to the resort.

Please note that the check in time is at 16:00 (4 p.m.). While we certainly will do our utmost to have an apartment ready should you arrive early, we are unfortunately unable to guarantee any early check in. As the preparation process of the villas is lengthy, most townhouses will not be available prior to the official check in time. In the meantime we would be more than happy to store your luggage and personal belongings so you may enjoy the public resort facilities. This also applies to your departure date when the official check out time is 10:00. We kindly ask that you take these times into consideration when planning your arrival and departure day.

Do not hesitate to contact me should you need further information.

How cool is this?  I'm not sure if I got this because it's an MVCI or what, but I thought it was very welcoming and reassuring.  Great customer service.

I will say however that I contacted Marriott Customer Service and asked for the email address for the Venice Airport Courtyard.  They gave me the address, but it has been a week since I sent an email to the Venice Courtyard, and I have yet to receive a response.

Maybe I will put my email text through translation software and try again.

Hi Lori,

This happens much more often in Europe than in North America and I really do appreciate it because it often offers a Virtual Concierge service to check in with as well.

ProfC

It's true.  Very nice knowing that you can communicate easily with someone at a foreign property (no international phone charges, etc.)

But one thing I have asked for repeatedly is that we have the concierge or front desk contact (especially abroad) before we leave.  So that way if they don't contact us we can contact them.  And if travel arrangements from the US go wrong, we can let them know without difficult long distance phone calls.

ProfC

PS - I just don't understand what would be hard about having a contact info at the bottom of every reservation.

I don't either.  Most boutique hotels abroad send preliminary emails or have an email contact on your reservation confirmation.  It's extremely helpful!  I put my email to Venice Airport Courtyard through google translate (I know, not the best) and resent it and still have not heard back from them.

It's not the end of the world.  Still...

Listen to me..."Most boutique hotels abroad..."  like I've stayed at them all and am the pinnacle of expertise.  Haha, sorry, I will rephrase.  "All of the boutique hotels that I have personally stayed at abroad..."  There.  More accurate.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...