3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2010 10:10 AM by razorbackfan RSS

Our Holiday Travel Story (2008)

razorbackfan Alumni Steward Platinum 23 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Our 2008 Christmas card featured pictures from Yellowstone National Park, Bryce Canyon, and Little Rock, Arkansas.

Our summer trip took us to some of the most beautiful places I've ever been...Yellowstone National Park and Bryce Canyon (Utah).  We spent hours walking the paths in Yellowstone and were rewarded with views of some of the geysers erupting that aren't as predictable as Old Faithful.  Yellowstone has the largest concentration of thermal features in the world.  We were tickled when a ranger insisted that a tourist had asked him what time they turn off Old Faithful!  We wanted to stay in certain lodges in the parks and planned our trip based on when we could get reservations.  The earlier you make your reservation, the more likely you will get the lodge you want.  We also visited Grand Teton National Park on this trip, but for some reason we did not have take a picture with our hats on.  I guess our focus was on the scenery.

Bryce Canyon was incredible.  It is actually an amphitheater, not a canyon.  The light on the hoodoos changed their appearance continuously.  The hoodoos took on their unusual shapes because the top layer of the rock is harder than the layers below.  We wanted our Christmas card picture taken at sunrise so we got up very early. My husband set up the tripod for this picture because we did not know if there would be around at this time of the morning to take the picture.

This trip also included a sidetrip to Las Vegas to celebrate my aunt's 80th birthday. (See Holiday Travel Story-2003).

Our Thanksgiving trip took us back to Little Rock, my hometown.  We saw my favorite football team, the Arkansas Razorbacks beat LSU 31-30. The winning score came with 20 seconds left in the game. Our friends in south Louisiana who root for LSU said they planned on cutting that picture out of the card!  (I'm sure some probably did!)    

• Re: Our Holiday Travel Story (2008)
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear RazorbackFan,

You made me want to be there!  I've been to those states, but not the particular places.  It sounded wonderful, and your photos were fantastic!

ProfChiara

PS -- There is nothing so enjoyable as a 1 point football victory!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Dear Professor,

Yes, a 1 point victory is incredible!  Especially when it comes in the last 20 seconds of the game.

Bryce Canyon had spectacular views.  We want to return in the near future particularly to see the night sky.  It was cloudy the nights we were there and we did not get to see the stars.

I've had trouble with some of the pictures being too dark (probably because the file is too big), so I'm really glad these came out so well.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

The scenery in the Tetons was breathtaking.  I think this was the only time we ever forgot to take a Christmas card picture!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...