4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 8:13 PM by dejamo RSS

Outrageous Pricing in Rio for cruise stay

luvtravel Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

I'm going to take a cruise with family starting in Rio and turns out to be the week of Carnival (3/2010).  That at first sounded like a good thing until I found out the JW is gouging us for $2K (3 in a room) a night for a manditory three night stay if we choose to stay at the only Marriortt in town. I didn't think Bill did that or allowed its franchises to do this.  What's up?  I don't feel safe going to another hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
  • Re: Outrageous Pricing in Rio for cruise stay

There are many safe hotels in Rio.   The Altantis Copacobana and Windsor Plaza to name a few.   You can check out Lonely Planet or TripAdvisor for reviews.    I agree that when I travel internationally I almost always, if possible, stay at Marriott properties.    Not possible in Cambodia or Brunei but sometimes it's fun to stay in hotels that are a reflection of the culture that your in.  I agree that price gouging is ridiculous and should not be allowed to happen.   Maybe the Rio Marriott is not a franchise hotel and is run by a different company.   Sort of like when the home improvement stores raised prices on wood and nails after and before hurricanes in Florida or the Gulf Coast.    Loyalty works both ways.   Maybe one of the ambassadors can help but I'm assuming that this is standard practice.   If I'm not mistaken the hotels in New York, Times Square area raise their prices at New Years.  Explore your other options.   Sometimes change is good.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

They are charging $6,000 for 3 nights???  That's highway robbery!

crkermit Platinum 3 Reviews

I've stayed at the JW in Rio. It's nice, but there are several other nice hotels within walking distance of the JW. When I stayed there I thought the price was high at around $250 USD per night - $2000? wow. Is it possible they were quoting you in Reals and calling it dollars (it happens quite a bit). Still $2000 Reals would be around$1100 USD - still too much.

dejamo Platinum

Think again..........

You should see what it cost to stay at a Marriott anywhere near Katrina.........

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...