5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 12:24 PM by anadyr RSS

timing of obtaining elite status

cincinnatikid Gold 1 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

If I achieve gold status in january, 2011, will I qualify for gold for both 2011 and 2012?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: timing of obtaining elite status
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Maybe since it depends on the timing as you've said.  Normally, making a status during a calendar year means that you've gotten that status for the remainder of the year and the next one.

Will you get the 50 nights in January due to rollover nights?

Good luck!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

cincinnatikid Gold 1 Reviews

If I get the gold status this month, then I thought I would only qualify for gold through 2011; whereas, if I get the extra nights in January, I would qualify through 2012. Is that correct?

Your Gold card, when issued will have an expiration date on it. normally February of the next year.  I would assume that making it in December 2010 would give you until February 2012. Becoming Gold in January 2011 should have the same effect, assuming you have enough nights from rollover and stays within the month of January to hit 50 nights.

Here's the official language from Marriott.com:

To achieve or renew Elite Membership status, the following number of personal nights must be earned through Rewarding Events or stayed at participating locations between January 1 and December 31 of any given year:

A call to Marriott Rewards on Monday might clarify the issue. And good luck.

kayjbee Platinum

Not sure of the exact date that is used as the cutoff. I seem to recall that I had a stay starting on the third of Jan. that was added to the prior years total.

I'd call Marriott Rewards and get the exact count--while there is some overlap--the balance does not go to zero on the first of the year but several days after the first--there is an annual stay requirement that coincides with the calendar years (e.g., Jan 1-Dec 31).

So, in essence only calendar year 2011 stays and bonus nights (from the Premier Marriott Rewards Chase Credit Card if you have one) count as Elite Qualifying Nights to make an Elite Level again for 2012.  If you reach a Gold or Platinum (or even Silver) level during 2011, you get that status as soon as the nights are posted to your account for the remainder of the year and for 2012 as well.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...