8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2010 7:20 PM by travelingnurse RSS

What Road Warriors want

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Here's one point of view.

Lighting is one of those areas where many rooms lack sufficient lumens, an the problem seems to have gotten worse. One bright spot (pun) are those little focused lights on the corners of the bed in some properties, which help when reading in bed, but reading in bed always makes me tired, so....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: What Road Warriors want
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi SteppingStones,

I couldn't agree more.  My two biggest problems with hotels in terms of business work/writing is a) lighting and b) lack of sufficient electrical outlets without unplugging lights or moving beds.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

phillytravelle Gold 3 Reviews

Couldn't agree more about the outlets.  Usually a minor annoyance when I'm traveling alone, but when I've got the kids and the phones and the iPods and the gameboys and on and on and on.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

"...the problem seems to have gotten worse."

I agree with that observation...and all this time I thought I needed new glasses.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

While the lighting problem is huge, I can deal with it (my Kindle, which works under worst lighting conditions helps).  But the plugging and unplugging of lights in order to plug in my computer, curling iron, etc. is ridiculous.  Some (but certainly not all) European Marriotts now have multiple plug outlets (including US 110 volts) around the desk area, but too many do not.  Since bathrooms still regularly say RAZORS ONLY (hey there, women stay too!), I am often forced to curl my hair without being able to see what I'm doing.  The result can be ghastly!

But seriously, plugs?  Since everyone travels with multiple electronic devices do we really need to have to search for outlets in bedrooms for the most basic services?  It's not usually a problem in Europe (which should be surprising), but when I've gotten stuck overnight thanks to a flight delay in NY it always seems to be.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Most of the full service Marriotts that I've been in recently have a surge protector style series of grounded outletsat desk level.  I wish they were 20 amps but they're not. Most are 15 amps but grounded  (I hope).

I also carry a three plug UL approved extension cord just in case, which helps when the hotel is powerless to provide ample plugs at a place I can find them.

Also, have you all noticed that the in room phones still have a data port for dial up connections to the Internet. So last century!!!

kahunapremier Platinum

My last stay in Scottsdale Marriott Suites was PERFECT for lighting, plugs and doing work. I ordered room service and had ample lighting. I always carry a 7 plug extentsion as I know some older Marriott brands haven't been upgraded and typcially I have it at the desk, where my cell phone and bluetooth devices are charging.

kayjbee Platinum

I have gotten to the point that I just bring a three prong 6' extension cord in my CPU bag. I use a lot of peripherals with my computers: PDA's, IPODS, IPhone, Blackberry. My desk is also my recharge station.

travelingnurse Platinum

tI agree about the lighting and the outlets.  The light fixture beside/on the bed with the outlets are my favorite.  I use my phone as my alarm clock.  I, as a female, like the hotels that have the make-up mirror also.  Some of the mirrors are so far away without my glasses I can hardly tell I have a face.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...