4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2010 11:23 AM by profchiara RSS

Travel Story -- Honoring Heroes

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

On a recent trip to DC area, I again visited some of the wounded warriors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.  And, again, an extremely humbling, sobering experience.  The men and women I spoke with continue to be brave in recovery as they were in battle.  All held their head high because they know there are millions supporting them in their mission as they and their wingmen put their lives on the line every day they're in the zone.  I mentioned to one soldier the story related earlier on this message board about the greeting returning soldiers received at Bangor, Maine on a regular basis.  They really appreciate that support.  And as earlier stated by myself and stepping stones, we didn't get welcome home, and I'm determined that our heroes will never be treated that way again.  I know many other Insiders feel likewise.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Travel Story -- Honoring Heroes
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

NU Husker, thank you this remembrance and your service as well

We live among heroes like these men and women and need to recall their sacrifice. Unlike the days when you and I served, perhaps as draftees, these young people are volunteers, many who served several tours  in very dangerous places for years.

As you know Walter Reed will be closing soon and the ranks of soldiers, sailors and airmen who spent time there are great.

I think we need to thank many people for making us safe this holiday, and at the top of this list are those wounded warriors you help us to remember.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

NUHUSKER,

Thank-you for sharing this with us.

The best for the Holiday season to all.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Thanks for the post.  I try to always speak to our service personnel.  When I returned from my tour in Vietnam and enrolled in law school servicemen were not held in too high esteem.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Thank you, NUHUSKER!  It does nothing to reduce the pain so many of you experienced during Vietnam, but at least I think we've learned from the shameful treatment of our servicemen from those days.  I think the challenge nowadays is reminding those not in the military that there are tens of thousands of men and women currently deployed and redeployed.  Thanks to them and their families for their sacrifice.

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...