4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2010 9:49 AM by anadyr RSS

Ten Percent Solutions

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At a recent stay at the Falls Church VA based Fairview Park Marriott I was told by the Assistant Operations Manager that the hotel typically contains 30% Platinum guests and of those, 10% who are at the Platinum Premier level.  The hotel is located adjacent to several major corporate regional and national HQs including those of Exxon-Mobil, and CSC, and home to many federal contracting companies.

Thus, the chance that a Platinum or Platinum Premier member might be upgraded depends on many factors. In theory we all are treated equally but I assume there are other factors that go into the decision to give some members more perks, such as stay frequency at the hotel, dollars spent, conferences held, etc.

In short, this property might be an aberration in that it contains such a high level of elite top tier stayers, and that creates some tension among this heady contingent of most loyal guests.

Has anyone else seen this in other hotels?

• Re: Ten Percent Solutions
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Stepping Stones -- I don't know how many elites of any level any of the hotels I stay in usually have because I don't ask.  But I did stay at the Fairview Park Marriott last week and wanted to follow up to some of your comments about your stay.  I also didn't see a comment card in my room.  But then again I don't normally see them anymore in full service Marriotts.  I did see one in the St. Clairsville, Ohio and Marion, IL FFI recently but didn't need them which was the norm for nearly all of my stays.  You also had some unkind words for the concierge/concierge lounge.  I agree that the lounge attendant was just that and nothing more (although she did give me directions to a Radio Shack), but that's what I normally encounter at most other concierge lounges.  The food in the lounge was pretty much par for the course.  I was there on the weekend and a few days following that.  My wife and I got comp breakfast buffet Sat and Sun mornings.  We took the shuttle to the metro twice.  Both times it left on time, and picked up on time the first evening, but the second evening we missed it by about 20 minutes so decided to catch a cab rather than wait for the bus to return.  I don't stay at this hotel often...usually 3 or 4 times per year for 4 or 5 days each stay, but as was the case this time, I always get upgraded to the 16th floor.  This time we even had a larger corner room.  By the way, our first two nights were at the leisure rate of $89/night, and the next 3 nights were government $181 which included breakfast buffet for one.  Can't recall your other issues, but I still contend this hotel is one of the best I stay at, but then again maybe my standards and expectations are lower than some.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

NUHusker

So we stayed there again this past weekend and all issues were rectified other than the continuing issue with the lady of the night (concierge that is). I notified the management by email and they have promised to check into the issue.

We did get a huge buffet when the lounge was closed, but never made it to 16--apparently always full.  Weekend rates were very reasonable and the folks there accommodating.  It is an owned hotel they tell me, not a franchise.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I should add that I wasn't particularly impressed with either the night or morning lounge attendant.  EX:  I asked the morning attendant if he had any other type of muffins in his kitchen/fridge...all that was out was bran.  His one-word response...No.  No explanation.  I asked if he was going to get some different ones from the downstairs kitchen.  Again, his one-word response...No.  One evening I overheard another guest ask the night attendant if she had any butter for the variety of bread on the buffet.  Seemed like a reasonable request to me since they have butter every morning and it's likely stored in the fridge a few steps away.  Her one-word response...No.  I see a pattern here.  On the other hand, I observed several guests interacting and conversing with the night attendant, and all seemed well.  I think she may have just been more comfortable with frequent guests she had gotten to know.  But with one-word answers...especially "No"...I'd say it's a long shot to get to know too many others.  But, Stepping Stones, did you find this hotel/lounge all that much different from most?  I guess I didn't.

We found a vast difference -- night and day -- in the  level of service there (pun intended).  Mornings, the gentleman could not have been nicer and more friendly, apologizing for the lack of bowls for cereal, getting us a Washington Post from the front desk when none were there, and being ultra friendly.  We spoke of his fascinating journey from his homeland and got to know him quite well, sharing experiences from recent trips to NY.

I wish I could report even one instance where the evening person reacted to anything or spoke for more than a second with anyone.  She seemed ill-suited and poorly prepared, often more interested in retiring to the kitchen area.  Asking for skim milk seemed a chore, one that she did grudgingly. Next time I will ask for butter and report back.

So, this lounge in the evening is not  up to snuff, IMHO.  There are smaller lounges and there are larger, but this one in the evening fails because of the attendant.  Mornings are fine, for most gulp and go, but evenings are more relaxed.

This gets to the often posted thread (by me of course) that the CLs are an artifact of an era that no longer exists:  Henry Ford often longed for an America that he helped to undo with the Model T, and Marriott customers long for a Lounge experience they fondly recall but cannot have time to enjoy!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...