9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 2:34 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

Question about Reward point redemption

jclishe Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I just booked a stay in about 5 months. I have about 147,000 points and the stay will cost 180,000 points. Based on my typical point accrual rate, and a little extra usage out of my Rewards Visa between now and then , I should be able to earn the remaining ~33,000 points in time.

However, I want to clarify what I should do if I come up short. The trip is in early May, and certainly by mid-April I'll know if I'll make the points or not. If it looks like I won't, what should I do? I'm hoping I could just pay for as many nights as possible with points and the remaining nights with cash. It's a 7 night stay, so worst case scenario is that I only have enough points for 6 nights and pay for the 7th in cash.

Will I have any issues doing this?

Jason

• Re: Question about Reward point redemption
    spurfan Platinum

Seems to me that you make two reservations.  One with your points for as many nights as you can and then one with your credit card for the remaining nights.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

If you are short points you can buy them--I recommend you do this well in advance since it may take a while for them to reach your account.  Also it has been normally practice to debit your account as soon as you request a points award stay, so you'll need the rez and the points in the account before too long.

Good luck

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

You could use points...get 5 nights for the sames number of points as 4...then pay cash for the next two nights, which if on a weekend might be quite a bit less than week day rates.

kayjbee Platinum

I would reserve the room now; at least you know that you have a room. Then once you have enough points, I would ask to change from cash to a certificate. A little shady, but would guarantee you a room.

james30 Platinum

I agree that using points for 5 nights for the price of 4, and then paying for the other two nights would be a good idea.  If you book for money now and try to switch to points later, the hotel may not have any rooms available for points, or may want more points for instant redemption.

jclishe Platinum

Thanks for the replies everyone. Just wanted to clarify a couple things that were mentioned in the replies:

• I booked this stay prior to my original post, so I'm good there. No risk of not having a room. It's booked.
    • I booked the stay using points. The points have not been deducted yet, and I was told by Marriott at time of booking that the points wouldn't be deducted until I checked in
    • As I mentioned in the original post, the full 7-day stay will require 180,000 points
    • I'm already well north of 150,000 points based on additional points I've accumulated since my original post, and I have a heavy points-accruing travel month scheduled in February. I'm guaranteed to have enough points to cover 6 of the 7 nights, but getting to 180,000 is going to be close
    • The situation I'm trying to avoid is coming up a tad short on points, arriving at the hotel to check in, and being told "sorry, you don't have enough points to cover the stay, so you'll need to pay for the entire stay out of pocket".

Based on the responses so far, it seems like the most logical solution would be to purchase points if I come up short. Would everyone agree? Like I said originally, I'll know by mid-April if I'll have all the points or not. So if April 15th rolls around and I feel like I'm not quite going to have enough points, would purchasing the points then (April 15th) give them enough time to appear on my account by the time I check in (May 3)?

Thanks!

Jason

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/Rewards%20Level%20Headers/BuyTransfer_540x196.jpg

In my experience, points for the e-certificate can be redeemed at the time of booking the reservation or 'Held'.  If 'Held', the e-certificate is auto-ordered a week prior to arrival.

Working backwards, you could see where you are and fill the gap by purchasing points at least 48 hours in advance by observing these Program Rules:

• A member may purchase or receive as a gift a combined maximum of 50,000 points per calendar year.
    • Points may be purchased in increments of 1,000.
    • Purchase rate is 12.50 (USD) per 1,000 points.
    • Please allow 24-48 hours for transaction to be completed and points awarded to recipient.
    • You must be a Marriott Rewards member in good standing to both purchase and receive points.
    • Once points have been purchased or gifted, no refunds will be permitted.
    • Purchasing points with the Marriott Rewards Visa® card will result in earning one point per dollar spent on these transactions.
    All Marriott Rewards Program terms and conditions apply

For the sake of argument, let's say you are short 30,000 points and the per night rate plus government taxes exceeds $375 US.  IMO, buying points is a better value.  However, if the nightly rate is discounted or substantially less than what you'd have to pay to fill the gap including the taxes, paying for the night would make sense to me.

Hope this helps!

jclishe Platinum

That's great info, thanks. If I do have to purchase points, I anticipate it being less than 10,000. I know I'll be around 170,000 based on my currently scheduled February and March travel, and I've been using my Marriott Visa instead of my debit card for all of my purchases lately, so it's gonna be close. Either way, filling the gap by purchasing points seems like the way to go and I shouldn't need to purchase all that many.

Thanks!

tjcnewyork Platinum

An additional thought.  As NUHusker notes, Redeem 4 Get the 5th Night Free should apply.  Although you have booked the reservation, keep checking for PointSavers.  PointSavers Awards are generally 5,000 points less; so if a Category 6 normally requires 30,000 points per night for a Hotel Reward; the PointSavers is 25,000 points.  In this scenario, if 2 nights are rebooked as PointSavers, the 10K gap zeroes out.

Btw, unless otherwise stipulated at reservations or on your e-mail confirmation, cancellation or modification of a reservation on-demand w/o penalty up until 4 pm or 6 pm on day of arrival is one of the benefits we enjoy as loyal Marriott Rewards Elite.  Marriott rates vary and great deals come along.  From that perspective, it's not 'shady' to pursue or realize the best value via a paid stay or point redemption or any combination, thereof.

I doubt it was intended, but 'shady' implies some level of cheating the system.  To the contrary, as JC's post(s) clearly illustrates, one has to plan, budget and work VERY HARD while using multiple strategies to get the points required.  Marriott knows that, (that's why they introduced purchasing points to close the gap).  It's also why Marriott developed Insiders so Elite can seek peer advice.

Thank you JC for posting your question and this topic.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...