7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 15, 2010 3:44 AM by grandpatres RSS

San Francisco  Dec. 18th

littleone Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Please help. Going with my 32 yr old son to SF for 5 nights.  Plans so far, day trip to Yosemite Park, Deluxe City Tour, Wine Country Tour, ferry to Sausalito, China Town, Fisherman's Warft. Res. now at Courtyrd SF Downtown but willing to change.  Also plan on renting a car only for 1 day.  What else should be do? This is our Christmas to each other.  Thanks

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
San Francisco, California, USA
  • Re: San Francisco  Dec. 18th
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Littleone,

You are in for a good time!

The CY is in a great location and I like the Marriott F/W just as well!

You plans sound great, but a couple of thoughts to share with you.

If you desire to go to Alcatraz, and I would, get your tickets early and online.  This is a tough ticket.

Likewise, think about if you need to rent a car.  SF is a difficult place to drive, and I would not do it if I did not have to.  See if you can have someone else take you two.  Make it easy on yourself.

Lastly, if you like a great brunch, go to Top of the Mark, on Nob Hill.  Even if you just want to have a refreshment, the view and history of this place is very special.

Have a great one!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Littleone, here's my thoughts on your trip.  Deluxe City Tour, Chinatown, and Fisherman's Wharf will all be nice for you too see.    There is also Ghiradelli Square where you can get on one of the cable cars and Twin Peaks which is up on a hill that overlooks the city that gives amazing views.   Most city tours include this.   I would have some concerns for you going to Yosemite.  Although it is open 365 days a year the temperatures this time of year average in the 20's and 30's for highs and single digits to teens for lows.   They also closed several of the roads going there a couple weeks ago when we had snow in the area.  Yosemite is a 200 mile drive from SF which is 400 miles roundtrip.  You might want to save that attraction when you have more time and can stay in or near the park.     I don't live in SF area, I live in Southern California, but I go to SF at least one week a month for work and have been doing so for the last 5 years.   I would agree with Jerry about getting tickets online for Alcatraz during the summer months but this time of year is very slow and getting tickets there is not a problem.  You can also do a combination Alcatraz/Sausalito trip if they haven't changed itineraries.   Your might also want to consider Muir Woods which is just a little north of SF.   This is where the redwood trees are and the park is very nice.   You can Google it for operating hours.  Again, this time of year is slow and many things close early.   It is also dark here at 5pm.  Not sure about where you live.   I was just up in the wine country 2 weeks ago and the wineries were open but but the grapes are not green this time of year.   It's still beautiful country.  There is also Golden Gate Park which is a beautiful park with a very nice Japanese Gardens.  If you rent a car try and get one with a EZPass so it automatically pays the tolls for you and charges the credit card that you used to rent the car.   The Golden Gate Bridge, Oakland Bay Bridge, and the Richmond Bridge all charge tolls.  The GGB and OBB charge when you come into the city but do not charge when you are leaving the city.  The Richmond Bridge is the opposite.    The roads are a little insane and it might be worth your while to also rent the GPS.  They are immensely helpful and I haven't left home without mine for over 10 years now.   All the major rental companies have them for rent.  You might want to check the Mosconi Center and see what they have going on.   They usually have some wonderful Christmas plays/concerts/musicals going on this time of year.   SF is probably the prettiest city in the USA, at least to me, and you will have a good time.   Just remember that it will be a little cold so bring some sweaters and scarf because it's also windy.    The rental cars are easily accessible from the airport on the tram and there is no charge for the tram.   There is also a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) stop on the tram that can take you right into town.   If you contact the CY they can tell you how close it stops to the hotel.   Have a great time and Merry Christmas. 

Please help. Going with my 32 yr old son to SF for 5 nights.  Plans so far, day trip to Yosemite Park, Deluxe City Tour, Wine Country Tour, ferry to Sausalito, China Town, Fisherman's Warft. Res. now at Courtyrd SF Downtown but willing to change.  Also plan on renting a car only for 1 day.  What else should be do? This is our Christmas to each other.  Thanks

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Ken,

Your comments are really good!

My last trip I stayed at a CY and ferried to SF.  I do not remember what city by the boat passed a prison.  It was a great bargain.  The hotel was near Sausalito.

It may have been the Courtyard Larkspur which is just on the opposite side of Sausalito and there is a ferry station there.   It is also really close to San Quentin prison.   I stay at that one all the time because it's out of the city but still close drive to the Golden Gate Bridge and the city.   Probably 1/2 the price too.   I'm in SF all the time and it's a formidable city to drive around so your advice was very good about not driving if you don't have too.   It's Christmas and she's with family in SF so how bad can it be.    Merry Christmas to you and your family also. 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Monterey and Carmel are two hours south and worth a visit, especially at this time of the year

grandpatres Gold 8 Reviews

We have lived in area for 30 yrs.  Courtyard is great location to walk and see most of downtown.  You can ferry to Saulsalito...small town...really don't need tour.  Alcatraz would be a fun chioce(don't forget pier 39 next door).  I think 1 day car to wine country (Sonoma and Napa) so you can choose and stop where you want to.  Yosemite is 3hrs away and probably closed because of snow...not worth it since you only have 5 days. More?  We are in Europe now using marriott pts...great!!!!  Oh we like hop on/hop off tours to go back to stop at favorites.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...