6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2010 8:31 AM by ipprotector RSS

Courtyard, Tokyo -- stay away

magellan Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I recently stayed at the Courtyard in Tokyo, Ginza district.  The location of the hotel is quite convenient, and there is a bus that takes you directly to Haneda airport.

Unfortunately, I experienced the worst level of service.  First, there is no executive floor lounge at the hotel.  Moreover, I was told rather bluntly that the hotel is not required to have a lounge and therefore was not required to offer free breakfast to elite members.  So if you are an elite rewards member expecting free breakfast, skip this hotel.

Second, I went to the first floor buffet restaurant for dinner.  Even though I could see that the restaurant was half empty, I was told that all tables were reserved.  After being told the wait would be about 30 min, I then left my room number with the staff; staff agreed to call me when room was available.

After waiting for 45 min. and still no call from the restaurant, I then called down to the restaurant.  The staff again informed me again that no tables were available, and the wait would be another 30 min.  I then went down to the restaurant, and could see that the restaurant was half empty.  After a  heated discussion with the staff I was finally seated.  During my dinner, the restaurant remained half empty.  There was never an apology from the staff about having me wait over an hour to be (reluctantly) seated.

Other than the location of the hotel, there is not much good that I can say about this hotel or its staff.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Tokyo, Japan
  • Re: Courtyard, Tokyo -- stay away
    yonghu Platinum

Thanks for your post.

I am staying at the same hotel right now and I was also turned away by the restaurant: both during lunch time and for dinner.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I can sympathize with you as I've had the same experience in a hotel in a different country then Japan.   I do know, even in the USA, some Courtyards will give me a free breakfast coupon and others do not.  I guess it's up to the manager of those hotels.   I am not aware of any Courtyard that has a Concierge Lounge but could be mistaken.  I personally have never stayed at the Tokyo Ginza but was planning on it in about 3 months on my trip there.   Based on your review, I'll make sure I send an email to the manager and ask about the breakfast policy and dinner arrangements.   I'm not sure if you travel alot but I do know from living in China that most people there are very direct and blunt and sometimes they come off as arrogant and impolite.    They probably just didn't have even employees to cover the empty tables and/or not enough chefs/cooks to make food for everyone if all tables were full which is why 1/2 were empty.   I know I have run into the same situation here in the USA when they said it was a 30 minute wait as I stood there looking at 20 empty tables.   Hope the rest of your stay in Tokyo was good.  

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I'm sorry to hear of your dining issue with the Courtyard but question why, with all the excellent restaurants in Tokyo, you would want to eat dnner there.  I can understand wanting to have breakfast there.  But, in the Ginza district, there are many places to dine... even the basement-level of the department stores have wonderful prepared food that you can eat there or take away.

I only speak the pleasantries in Japanese but was able to order what I wanted in every restaurant... didn't end up with a live, breathing fish on my plate (and I'm not referring to sushi!) in the 9 weeks that I spent in Japan.  Many speak English (in Tokyo) and there's also a reason why they have that plastic food in their windows... LOL!   And, then there's always the "point to the next table's plates" method to ordering! 

I agree with the previous poster that the issue in the Courtyard was most likely caused by a staff to customer ratio problem.  But, they also should have told you that.  You should write to Customer Care.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

With all due respect, you may wish to do a little more research so that your expectations are in line with what you will encounter.

Courtyard is not a full service hotel brand and therefore you should not expect the same things you would get at one of the full service brands.  I happen to like Courtyards but I know they don't have executive lounges and I do expect to pay for breakfast.  Quite frankly, I do not rate my stays solely on the existance of an executive lounge and a free breakfast.

I look for a comfortable room, good internet connection, nice bed, convenient bathroom, decent TV.

I'm not sure why you were not seated in the restaurant, but something tells me they may have encountered a significant amount of complaining from you about things that no one had any intention of providing.

Just to "prep" you for after January 7th...you may well get free internet as an elite at all full service Marriott's worldwide, but don't expect it at Courtyard.  if you pay for it now, you can expect to pay for it after January 7th.  They do have free internet in Courtyards located in Canada/USA...but other locations, it is not assured.

Marriott has several hotel brands.  Each of them offers different things.  It is worth the trouble to familiarize yourself with the various offerings so your expectations are met and you are not disappointed.  I like staying at Marriott properties generally.

ipprotector Platinum 1 Reviews

Dear Technie,

I have stayed at this hotel for years only because there is no other Marriott choice.  THis is one of the worst service hotels i've stayed at with Marriott and I have over 1,100 stays.  So with all due respect to you, I agree with the original poster and submit that you are un-informed.

ipprotector Platinum 1 Reviews

I have stayed at this hotel a few times per year for many years only because there is no other Marriott choice in Tokyo.  I have experienced many service problems with this hotel like yours and worse.  I have over 1,100 nights in Marriott hotels and believe this is in the top ten worst Marriott properties.  THis rating is based on service, as the property itself if fine with regard to being mostly clean and modern.  I have stayed at other non-Marriott hotels in Tokyo and have had wonderful service.  I have also stayed at the Nagoya Marriott and had one of the best stays in a Marriott hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...