15 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2012 2:58 PM by nuhusker RSS

JW Marriott Ko'Olina Oahu  Could have been much better

sandandbigsurf Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Compelled to write as I just stayed at what must be the worst JW Marriott in the entire system.  While the lobby, like all JW properties was nice; the rest of the hotel was dated and drab.

I contacted the hotel a week before our stay requesting foam pillows and a rollaway.  Called the day before our stay to verify.  Of course neither items were there upon check-in.  In fact, the first 2 rollaways delivered to the room were dirty and broken.  We gave up on the pillows as they never did show up in our 3 day stay.  The hotel also attempted to charge me $200.00 for the rollaway.

At the pool, I was saddened to receive my bar drink in a plain economy plastic cup.  It didn't even have a Marriott logo.  I've been served nicer looking drinks at a frat party.  This hotel is not the location to serve drinks in walmart picnic cups.  I'm sure there are several companies that make nice looking, pool area safe, drinking glasses (non breakable pool safe plastic)

While I generally like my stays at Marriott, I will not return to this particular location.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Oahu, Hawaii, USA
  • Re: JW Marriott Ko'Olina Oahu  Could have been much better
    brucewayne Platinum 2 Reviews
    Sorry to hear this, My wife and I were at the JW KO two years ago and had a very nice stay, one of the best rooms with a view of the bays that make this location one of the best in HI. The lobby and room were very clean at the time, the area leading to the pool with the sharks needed a little care, yet the overall stay was very nice and staff very helpful. We were at the KO vacation club as well and enjoyed our stay. Contact Marriott they are always looking for comments. Good luck, Not an employee, we travel with Marriott 50 nights a year.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I recommend an email to the GM of the hotel with your concerns--that might get you some answers.

kitkatphilly Platinum 5 Reviews

Wow! I am surprised at your comments. Sorry to hear your experience. I was there 2 years ago for a week on points and my family was given the royal treatment. We were upgraded to a top level floor with what I think is the biggest bathroom I have ever seen. We had a veranda with beautiful teak furniture.  The place was gorgeous. The view from the beach was amazing. The place was spotless.  We loved the restaurant.

After our stay we went on the 1 week cruise around the islands. It was a memorable 2 weeks. We went in January and still swam every day.The lagoons were warm and relaxing. If you want to go to Hawaii and get away from the crowds, this is the place to go.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Just one question...does the drink taste better or give a bigger kick if the cup has a marriott logo on it?  Just curious.

dmilton Platinum 1 Reviews

Oh my. We were just thinking of the JW. Best we look at other properties in Hawaii.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

DMilton...I wouldn't change my lodging plans based on this single write-up by sandandbigsurf.  There have been several other positive reviews as well as some not so positive on Insiders over the past couple of years.  Also check trip advisor for recent experiences at the JW Ihilani.  Although we didn't stay on that end of the island during our last trip in Nov '10, we did drive out there and took a look at the JW, the Marriott timeshares, and the Disney timeshares, all of which now share the coves.  We even took a look at a room on the 6th floor and although it is still probably the most luxurious hotel we've ever stayed, we were a little disappointed that they hadn't even upgraded to the flat screen tv's yet.  Otherwise, we found the hotel in very good repair, clean, lots of activity, very friendly staff, and still the place we remember from our previous visits.  If you plan to go to Oahu, and stay in a Marriott on the beach, JW Ihilani is your only option.  Last trip we stayed at the Royal Hawaiian on Wakiki and the location was great, but in our opinion, it doesn't come close to comparing to the JW Ihilani.

outofoffice Platinum

Our family stayed at both the Marriott Ko'Olina and the JW Ihilani a few months before the new Disney property next door opened up. My guess is the area is  busier than before? We enjoyed both properties immensely, but the JW experience was off the charts fantastic! We received a terrific, ultra-modern room overlooking the private lagoon and ocean. Morning breakfast buffets were outstanding and the pool area was extremely nice as well. Beautiful by day, very picturesque at night with torches lining the sidewalks around the shark pool just outside the lobby. Would love to stay here again - easily among the best vacation venues we've ever enjoyed. (Tip: nice that guests can charge catamaran snorkeling trips and green fees to your hotel room - enabling Marriott gift certificates to help cover the charges).

californian Platinum 37 Reviews

I stayed there for 10 nights on points.  I was given a room overlooking the entrance, no view and heard car noise.  I hoped for an upgrade but didn't get it.  I guess if we want to have a good room, we need to pay for it.  This is one of the few Marriott's on the water that I wasn't given a nice room.  I would have liked to have more resturants in the area to choose from.  I stayed at Ko Olina a different time and was pleased.  I had a decent room and a full kitchen so I could prepare some meals in my room.

veageman Platinum 1 Reviews

I too will never stay on points at this Hotel again it was a big mistake, I was there last weekend for 3 nights an it was not full, I asked for a upgrade and I was told it was full at the front desk but when I called down I was told it was not, I was on the 3rd floor and there was only 1 other room there with anyone in it. I got a really small and dark room with a balcony that sat 1 (there was 2 of us) overlooking the back parking lot and dumpster I guess you need to pay then upgrade using your points, I have never complained before but I did and I did not even get a sorry out of them I am very disappointed after all the business I have given them.When I checked out I did not get my wake up call either, I did not get any extra pillows I had asked for I was told I would get discounts at the resort an did not. I did get a email back from Cindy Hoshino, Customer Relations Manager - Resort Operations asking for me a call her last week I little late for that and she did not offer an apology, so I guess this is the best place to let anyone know, Do not use your points here.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...