13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 10:24 PM by denroadwarrior RSS

Platinum Status and points trade offs

cmpqse Gold
Currently Being Moderated

So I am now Platinum! So I walk in the Courtyard and the offer me points or a market item as my gift. I find that offensive. One I earned the points due to the amount of travel. And now you offer me a trade off. Come on Marriott is that the best you can do! I think every Platinum member should at least get one thing from the market place with no trade offs on points. A bottle of water would be nice! You need to do a little more to take care of you Platinum members! Maybe a paper under the door too would be nice.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Waldorf, Maryland, USA
  • Re: Platinum Status and points trade offs

You are still getting the 50% bonus points for being Platinum.   The points you are trading off, for a sundry item, are the Gift Points.   I find that many Marriotts, all brands, actually give me one water or snack anyway.   I always take the points since they are much more valuable then a water or Snickers bar.  

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

kahunapremier Platinum

I do, trick is to talk to the front desk and you will find that they will slip you a treat-happens ALL the time when I check in.

Besides, when I travel and I want snacks, I get to expense them. So my customer pays for it and I enjoy it!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi,

Ken WuHan is correct.  This is an additional gift, certainly not a substitution for points.  And I think most of us choose the additional 500 points (since that would be equal to $50 spending) and would just as soon buy a snack ourselves.  That said, I too have usually found complimentary water, coffee and other snacks in my room.

Last night I arrived in Cairo, Egypt and was as usual asked whether I would like the points or a gift.  I chose the points but when I got to my room there was a fresh fruit basket, bottle of water, and TWO platters of Egyptian desserts and cookies/chocolates.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

This speaks to the need to rethink the gifts and their value.  Most of us take the points since they have tangible value.  Rather than points how about free parking or a meal in the restaurant?  Would make more snese to me

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Right, SteppingStones -- those would be especially useful at a Courtyards. Perhaps a breakfast and some other tangible benefit that is usually included at full service Marriotts.

ProfChiara

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

This really got me thinking - considering my market gift is almost always a couple of beers or 20 oz sodas, I had to wonder if I am getting ripped off. Since I stay almost always at CY or FF, what's worth more? The sodas/beers ($4-$7) or points (200)?

Far and away - take the market items. See Marriott Points - just how much are they worth - an analysis

superchief1 Platinum

I may be in the minority, but I always take the wine and fruit at full service hotels. I enjoy a glass of wine in the evening and find the pricing in the restaurant or lounge to be exhorbitant. I enjoy the fruit as a snack or for breakfast if I have an early flight. I have plenty of points. Please don't take my 'gift' away.

Since Europe hotels offer complimentary wine in the lounges, I take the points when travelling overseas.

lesliepamel Platinum

I'm a little lost here. As a welcome gift I can get 500 Reward points. One night at a cat 6 hotel would cost me 30,000 points. So I would have to make 60 stays to get a 'free' night. The welcome gifts that I always receive have a retail value of about $30, and is therefore a lot more value than a Snickers bar. Even supposing the gift is worth just $25 then after 60 nights the value I receive is in the region of $1500. That sort of value must equal 2 or 3 nights in a Cat 8 hotel!

nicerinperson Platinum

Ping - I just cannot follow that logic. My $ values is the number of points divide by 10, so 200 points would require purchases totaling $20 in order to earn. Sure I could go for a coke, or I could purchase a coke on my own and add it to the bill. So let's get a $2 coke (or whatever) and add another 20 points, now I got 220 points and only spent out of pocket 2 beans... ;)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Nice in Person...you won't get any additional points for food or snack purchases you make at CY, FFI, SHS, RI, TPS, etc.  That only applies at Marriott and Ren properties.

kellyz Platinum

I always choose the points when traveling for business, cause i can always expense out whatever i want to buy. When i travel on personal vacations i always choose the welcome gift. For me its nice when traveling with family or a spouse to treat them to something nice to start off the trip. And yes, maybe my half bottle of merlot and cheese plate doesnt equal $50, but its nice to enjoy a little something on a vacation with friends and family. My parents recently joined me on a vacation to ireland and we all enjoyed our irish beer and gormet cheese plate! I probably would have been the only one who got any satisfaction out of the extra 500 points :)

cowboy Gold

The trade off is only for the 500 extra points you earn not for the stay. It is just an extra incentive. You also get those points or something from the market when you stay on points

denroadwarrior Platinum 1 Reviews

You have hit one of the reasons that some places Hilton does a better job at serving the business customers.   I try to maintain status with both but the arrival experience in say an HGI just puts Courtyards to shame.  So much so that I generally won't stay at a Courtyard unless there is mitigating circumstances.  I must say the Marriott and JW Marriott service makes up for it in the higher end hotels.  I typically do take the bonus but certain hotels are exceptions.  The Camel Back Inn (JW Marriott) is one that I always take the gift.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...