3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 7:24 PM by mikiegfla RSS

My Holiday Travel Story

lovetraveling Silver
Currently Being Moderated

Last Christmas (2009), we took the vacation of a lifetime using Marriott Rewards Points that we had been saving for for years.  When our granddaughters were 5 and 8 years old, we decided that when they reached an age when they could thoroughly enjoy and remember New York City, we would take them there for "Christmas in New York".   Last year, they were 9 and 12 and we had enough points for two rooms, side-by-side at the Residence Inn near Times Square.  Our daughter, the girls' mother, is a "Broadway Baby" that was singing and dancing from age 6 until her 20's, when she started producing plays.  She now has a paralegal job, but we are still all in love with musical theater.  We all live in Los Angeles, so New York is a real treat! For six glorious days we enjoyed every bit of New York, Bryant Park, skating at Rockefeller Center on Christmas Eve, seeing the Christmas Spectacular Rockett show on Christmas Day, Watching two broadway plays and riding the ferry to both, Staten Island and Ellis Island.  Thanks to good pre-planning and Marriott Rewards, we were able to enjoy the Residence Inn as our second home for a 6 nights! Now, a year later, my granddaughters are still talking about the trip and have memories to last a lifetime. By the way, they also love singing and dancing.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York City, New York, USA
  • Re: My Holiday Travel Story
    runcmd Platinum

Thanks for that trip recount.  My mother is nearing retirement age - and she's stated several times that she would love to see NY at Christmas time.  She's only ever been in the south.  ( FL/GA )

For her retirement - I am thinking about sending her and my niece together and having been point-pricing hotels - so thanks for sharing that hotel name.

I would love to be able to get th em in to see a broadway show - but the last place I bought great discount tickets was in the WTC.  Are there still day-of-show discount ticket sales ?   She specifically mentioned wanting to see Rockfeller Center - and that skating rink.

I would love for her to see Letterman and Saturday Night Live while there in addition to Central Park and ... oh wait.   Is that too much already ?  :)

Again - thanks for posting.  You've got me thinking.  And like you- Marriott will make this dream come true for her.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lovetraveling Silver

I'm so sorry that I never came back to this site for months and didn't answer your questions.  Pre-planning your trip to New York at least by 6 months or more will help a lot, especially if you want to use reward points.  I have found that the Residence Inn's are the best for traveling with family because they are more spacious and have a kitchen for quick meals (saves money too).  Tickets to broadway shows can be bought on-line.  Best way to get deals is to google the show you are interested in and several sites will appear - I like the Playbill Magazine site.  I prefer to go with a day to day schedule in order to get everything in that you want to do, that's why I prefer tickets in hand rather than waiting out the lines at the half price booth. 

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Another Marriott property not to be overlooked is the 5th Avenue Courtyard at 40th street. The rooms are very comfortable and the location very convenient.

My strategy regarding tickets is to get up early and take the subway to the Fulton Street station and walk a few blocks to the TKTS booth at South Street Seaport. As opposed to the Times Square location, this one offers tickets for matinees that day and the lines have always been very manageable.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...