7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2010 8:57 PM by rosegrower RSS

Bucket Lists and Travel

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

As much as I travel, I had never heard the term 'bucket list' until two of you posted regarding my trip to Istanbul.  What a wonderful idea!  I realized in some ways that's what I'm doing, starting last year with Greece.  As much as I love Western Europe, when I am there it is almost entirely work.  Yet there have been so many places I've studied, but are not within my research area, that I have wanted to see -- and now I have a name for it.

So I've done two -- Greece and Turkey -- and will be doing Cairo next week. (You can probably figure I go mostly places where I have historical interests or teaching.)  I definitely want to see Moscow, St. Petersburg, Israel, and parts of China and Japan.

But then it also occurred to me that we mustn't ever empty the bucket.  Either keep saving the last place or add a new one.  Because if we empty the bucket...well, you probably know what I'm getting at! :)

ProfChiara

• Re: Bucket Lists and Travel
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Professor, the irony is that travel, especially by air has become so dreadful and time-consuming that our bucket is leaking (metaphorically of course).  Nonetheless, travel for business or pleasure is still one of my passions, and my bucket list is longer than I's care to mention.

Of course the time that I worked it was work 95% of the time and pleasure 5% of the time, so I consider that travel with a big asterisk.  Now that business is slower and pleasure is gaining momentum the lure of travel is much stronger.

Thank you for reminding me that there is a bucket, and a list and that at some point I need to begin working on it!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I couldn't agree more, SteppingStones.  Even with an injury to my knees the last day in Istanbul I was subjected to machine and enhanced pat down at JFK.  This regularly happens to me at Logan Airport as well, so I decided this time I'm flying out of Bangor, which is not only known for its Troop Greeters, but has some of the nicest TSA people anywhere.  Although I have to fly through Detroit, Atlanta, and JFK en route to Cairo, I've done it in such a way that I shouldn't have to be rescreened anywhere.  Besides, it adds up to a lot of FF miles along with being closer to home and having virtually no transportation or parking costs.

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

We should all take a breath and think of those places that, if money were no object, we'd love to go. That was the essence of the Bucket List Movie as I recall.  Jack Nicholson made it great as well.

My personal list would include exploring the vast continent of Australia, seeing the small villages in the places where my great, great grandparents were born (Ireland, France, England and Germany among others), and visiting the Western Hemisphere's Southern Cone (Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay).

Marriott.com has that Dream Rewards tracker and I think we can too as a group.

columbussig Platinum

If you talk about Bucket List, please include "Running with the Bulls" in Pamplona.

This past July myself and 10 college Fraternity Brothers made this trip.  We spent 2 days in Pamplona, 1 Day in San Sebastian, then finished our trip in Barcelona.  It was an amazing time, granted the timing was impeccable with Spain winning the World Cup while we were in Barcelona.

The thrill of the running was indescribable if you want a true adrenaline rush!  If you don't want the rush the Festival and watching the event unfold from the Balcony I heard was equally rewarding.

Just a Bucket List idea!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Have not been to Pamplona in a while but I fear that Los Toros van Ganar en un juego con migo!

rosegrower Platinum

My "bucket list" started when I retired 7 years ago, and have now visited 46 countries. My wife, who didn't retire until 2 years ago, just didn't have the time to accompany me on many trips, so I just sucked it up and took my camera...and went. And I loved it. My favorites have been the week I spent in Prague, 17 days in Thailand (I took my wife back there last year), Singapore, the Mayan sites in Guatemala and Belize, Estonia (my wife's home country...where she got to be my translator), and Spain, especially Costa del Sol and Granada. We're off to Vietnam in February!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...