2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2010 12:38 PM by anadyr RSS

The Henry Ford - Walk through History in Dearborn, MI

kimkdallas Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

While staying at the Dearborn inn nearby for a wedding, we decided to take advantage of the time and spend some time at the Henry Ford.  Was a cold and rainy day, so we settled on just the Museum.   It’s open 7 days a week from 9:30-5.  It’s $15/person and $5 to park which they collect at the ticket booth.   If you have time, they also have the Village, the Factory Tour and an IMAX.  They do several package deals as all the extras are an additional cost.   What was great was wandering through history.  I really enjoyed the trains, buggies, cars, and planes.  The presidential limos through history were also really cool.  You could spend hours wandering through, and there is something for everyone.  Definitely a great way to spend part of the day!

• Re: The Henry Ford - Walk through History in Dearborn, MI
    profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

This sounds very cool, especially as I am a huge fan of Ford -- not only because I own one but because I think their vision and corporate strategy may help save the industry and lots of jobs in the long term.  I know that even when I was in Istanbul, the tour bus I was on past a Ford dealership!

Thanks for sharing!  And let's hope Detroit as a city makes a real comeback!

ProfChiara

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: The Henry Ford - Walk through History in Dearborn, MI
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

We love that whole Dearborn experience too. Thanks for posting.

If you want to understand more of the man and the company I'd recommend reading Fordlandia, a recent nonfiction book that details Henry Ford's and Harvey Firestone's vision for building a Midwestern city and plantation smack dab in the middle of the Amazon to grow rubber!  But in a larger sense it is a look into the psyche of Mr Ford and his vision for an America that we now live in.

Alan Mullaly has done great things at Ford, carrying on the tradition that Henry started long ago.

(Full disclosure:  my first car was a used 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible with a huge Police Interceptor V-8 and I have owned a lot of them since, though now I rent them all the time and own a (very ancient) German car)).

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...