This discussion is locked
Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2010 10:04 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Forums/Ask and Answer Merger?

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

It seems that combining these into just one section would increase involvement from more people.  Ask & Answer could be eliminated.

Non-regular forum insiders who have questions that could be easily answered if they just participated in the forum section of Insiders.

All would benefit from more participants on Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
  • Re: Forums/Ask and Answer Merger?
    theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Jerry I agree.  by the way have you been to Prague? thinking of going there in June for 5 days and may stay on points at the Marriott.  Any suggestions?....Bill

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep stick em together!!  Not a lot of activity in either so putting them as one makes sense to me.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Theolejudge,  I was in Prague about 5 years ago.  I stayed at the Ren which is now a Hilton or Hyatt.  The full-service Marriott is across the street and gets very good reviews.  The location is very good... close to the Old Town Square and lots of sites.  I walked all over Prague... have to say it was the only vacation where I lost weight!

It's also close to the bus station if you want to take a day trip to Terezin which I highly recommend.

I loved Prague!  I could retire there!

Judge,

No, never been to Prague, (But have been to the Warsaw Marriott and it is great), but have only heard good things about the Marriott in Prague.

I really like what New Hilton say's, she knows her stuff!

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Thanks New Hilton I copied your post....Bill

Thanks Jerry and Theolejudge!

Theolejudge, if you do a search on 'Prague', you'll find quite a number of posts and replys.  I posted some photos on some of my replys.

If you do go, I also highly recommend a night or two in Cesky Krumlov!  And, if you do go there, in addition to the Castle tour, the tour of the Castle's baroque theater is fantastic! One of the very last baroque theaters remaining in the world.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jerry,

In addition to Pingreeman and CountryJim to name a few, "Marriott" has been actively responding to questions in Ask & Answer.  This is a positive development that has the potential to thrive if Ask & Answer is added to Forums.

If Ask & Answer is added to become a 5th Forum, do you envision the Ask & Answer tab going away?  Rather than shut down Ask & Answer which a 'merger' suggests, what about 2 ways to get to Ask & Answer? From the tab as well as Forums?

Intuitively, less technical work would be involved by leaving the Ask & Answer tab as is and simply adding A&A as Forum #5.  Bottom line, I agree that adding A&A to Forums will definitely benefit Insiders.

One potential gliche is that the difference in Forum appearance.  I have no idea if the differences are purely cosmetic or if there are substantial technical hurdles involved.  Personally, I find the appearance of A&A fonts to be challenging on the eyes.  Also, A&A has limited Text capabilities.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I too agree that combining the Forums with Ask & Answer makes a lot of sense. There is considerable overlap already, since so many people ask questions or for suggestions in the Forums and some of the questions asked in Ask & Answer are so specific that only Marriott can answer them.

ProfChiara

TJC,

Your idea of adding A/A to forums makes sense.

It just seems that having one "Forum" including A/A will promote much more activity and provide benefits to people than is happening now.

Then the next step is to really promote the benefits of "Insiders"!  No other hotel organization can "Boast" of a free benefit for travelers such as "Insiders".

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jerry,

Promotion of Insiders as the hub for Marriott Rewards members to post reviews, share travel photos/tips, enjoy advance notice on special offers and post comments, complaints or suggestions is a great idea.  There are so many benefits that add value to being a Marriott Rewards member that merit an Insiders shout!

TJC,

Way too many people are not aware of Insiders!

Especially, Marriott employees.

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

x

pingreeman Platinum 1 Reviews

A hotel manager told me that Marriott employees are not allowed to sign up for MRI - even if they are MR members.

So well said!

tjcnewyork Platinum

In agreement w/Pingreeman, searching for, "how many points" free is an excellent example of the limitations we are experiencing.  Enhancing Search and Advanced Search capabilities may provide some remedy.  We definitely need more robust and smarter search capabilities.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

My conversation with many associates tells me that Pinreeman is correct--Marriott employees cannot legally be members of Marriott Rewards (though if members in advance of employment they apparently can be in a hold staus until their associate status ends), and therefore cannot access Marriott Rewards Insiders.

I for one think that's a good idea, since it prevents lurkers in what is supposed to be a MR forum.

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Rewards/Marriott_Rewards_2.0/MRLP_1129_920x118_basic.jpg

"really promote the benefits of "Insiders"

From wish to reality!  Check out the new landing page for Marriott Rewards and the link pointing to

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/carousel_insiders.gif

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott employees are not allowed to sign up - even if they are MR members."

Is active employee participation on Insiders needed for greater awareness?   Would more employees participating in Insiders Forum discussion help community?  Maybe.

Marriott's presence in thriving 'communities' elsewhere online provide good examples. With nearly 900 posts, a Marriott employee actively participates on FlyerTalk under 'Marriott Concierge'.  And, any number of property managers actively respond to guest compaints as well as compliments posted on TripAdvisor.

My attitude is that we have a balanced mix now.  The Insiders Lobby includes Mr. Marriott's Blog, the Chef Blog, Concierge Corner and Destination Spotlight all of which are employee authored. By including A/A under Forums, there's more Marriott visibility in Forums - the hub of the Insiders community.  Would more than that upset a sense of a level playing field or create broader community?   It's a fair question, any thoughts?

TJC,

You are right!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I think Marriott has now struck the right balance.  Earlier, it seemed (true or not) that Andrew and the people at Marriott were more distant. But with the new presence on A& A things have changed.  I think it's very important, as they realize, that Marriott associates do not become a guiding or even significant force in the Forums.  If that ever happened, we could never really know that our views were being expressed and heard freely.  But with this new level of visibility vis-à-vis A&A as well as occasionally in Forums, it strikes me that it is just the right balance.

ProfChiara

TJC:"My attitude is that we have a balanced mix now.  The Insiders Lobby includes Mr. Marriott's Blog, the Chef Blog, Concierge Corner and Destination Spotlight all of which are employee authored. By including A/A under Forums, there's more Marriott visibility in Forums - the hub of the Insiders community.  Would more than that upset a sense of a level playing field or create broader community?   It's a fair question, any thoughts?"

Professor,

So well said!

tjcnewyork Platinum

I also think Insiders has achieved a "balanced mix", but striking the "right balance" is a work-in-progress, IMHO.  Marriott Rewards members span an enormous collection of brands.  Many of the A/A questions pertaining to the lodging side of the business are answered directly, but those pertaining to other segments such as Marriott timeshare do not appear to be.

TJC,

Yes, it does seem that way!

tjcnewyork Platinum

Jerry,

Ironically, since 12/19, A/A appears to have more new posts across 'Recently Asked', 'Recently Answered' and 'Unanswered Questions' than the Forums. If technically feasible, making A/A visible under the Forums would certainly highlight the combined Insiders activity - which is growing.

Thinking expansively, perhaps the Forums landing page might also feature a strip of Recent Photos culled from those attached to posts.  Clicking a photo might bring you to the post.  The added layer of user-friendliness might encourage and realize wider participation.

TJC,

Great idea!

It would work for me.

By the way, just got back from Wentworth by the Sea for Christmas.  Why didn't you tell me it snows in New England in the Winter?

Portsmouth and the area was most charming.

By the way, just got back from Wentworth by the Sea for Christmas.  Why didn't you tell me it snows in New England in the Winter?

ROFL!!!  

New Hilton,

We have to "Pick" on TJC for the weather, don't we?

Someone is behind the "Blizzard"!

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HPIM0342.jpg

Above:  The stunning Marriott's Wentworth-by-the-Sea as seen from Rte 1A January 2009.

Below: One of the many wrap-around views.  Here is Rte 1A and the Little Harbor Suites as seen from the Admirals Suite which occupies the two uppermost floors of the center turrent shown in the photo above.

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/HPIM0320.jpg

TJC,

Yes there is snow in New England!

Wonderful pictures.

I am just glad I had a great time and am out of it, for now.

Heading for Orlando for New Years.

Happy one to you!

tjcnewyork Platinum

With some exceptions, blizzards are not fun for road warriors.  The airports shut down, everyone is snowbound and cabin fever can be frustrating.  We finally made it to Portsmouth and see that we are on your heels, actually.

Orlando for NYE - Great choice!  Main Street in the Magic Kingdom for the Parade and Fireworks is the best.  Enjoy the warmer weather and have a happy.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...