6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 7:21 PM by anadyr RSS

Why do you make using rewards unbelievably difficult!

tomonthebay Member
Currently Being Moderated

Why do you make using rewards unbelievably difficult!  Fix it now!  These are your best customers!

Why do you make using rewards unbelievably difficult!  Fix it now!  These are rewards  for your best customers!

Every time over the last year I went to use my points the rewards web site said the hotel was not available. 

On my last trip, I attempted to stay at the South Beach Marriott, yet it said no rewards rooms available.  I really wanted to stay in South Beach, but then I was surprised that at least the Courtyard Miami Beach did have rooms and I booked it online.

Two minutes later I called the South Beach Marriott directly, and they said they had rewards rooms available.  I immediately called rewards customer service and said I wanted to switch my rewards reservation from the Courtyard Miami Beach to the South Beach Marriott.  I preceded to provide the operator my reservation code.  She then attempted to book the rewards reservation at South Beach Marriott.  She came back with “there are no rooms available”.  So, I said “ok, leave it at the Courtyard Miami Beach”.  To which she replied, “Well I cancelled you Courtyard Miami Beach reservation to free up the point to book the South Beach Marriott, but now the Courtyard Miami Beach does not have any rewards rooms available”.  After much comotion, she then transferred me to another level of support, where at least he was able to regain my reservation at Courtyard Miami Beach.

Then, upon arrival in South Beach Miami, I went directly to the South Beach Marriott, and the woman at the front desk confirmed that they had a rewards room available.  It then took her a half hour on the phone with support to move the reservation from the Courtyard Miami Beach to the South Beach Marriott.

Why do you make using rewards unbelievably difficult!  I think I will no longer a customer!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
South Beach, Florida, USA
  • Re: Why do you make using rewards unbelievably difficult!
    zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

There are always glitches in systems, sounds like unfortunately you found one.  Typically finding the rewards online is the easiest way, then the rewards desk as a secondary contact point.  The rewards desk should be able to reach out to hotels and validate if you are finding different information.

There are several ways to use points to get a "free" night so make sure you explore all of your options when looking to use them.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Like my former boss would repeat when a colleague would find a glitch or hit a brick wall  ---- "work the process".

It is possible that the hotel inventory of MR-available rooms did not reconcile with the MARSHA (reservation system) inventory;  or, that the hotel was re-allocating MR rooms to you on the fly; or, it could be poor local orientation of hotel associates.

Whatever the glitch, I suggest you "work the process" ----- e.g., call Marriott Rewards or Marr customer service.  They are there to solve problems --- such as the very situation you were in.  I have ALWAYS found these folks ready to help.   I find this approach to be more helpful than blowing off steam at local associates at the hotel --- and usually gets quick results.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

No excuse will suffice to correct what happened, but I think most of us have discovered "work arounds" that allow us to be creative within the bounds of the system and the terms and conditions of Marriott Rewards.

I agree with Country Jim that the folks at Marriott Rewards are very amenabloe to solving problems if they can.

But no system is going to be perfect, sadly, and there are times when the promises made are not kept--but keep trying!

kayjbee Platinum

I think that what he wants is a system that works for him, not a system he has to work. Big difference.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

KayjBee

Bravo! 

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Yep!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...