6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2011 9:25 PM by nicerinperson RSS

Fairfield Inn Williams, AZ - AVOID

nicerinperson Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

In a nutshell the rooms at this hotel are horrible. I had selected this property because it was the closest Marriott property to the Grand Canyon for our second honeymoon vacation. The property is a Cat 5 and requires 25K points for a single night which has a normal rate of $99/nt.

When we arrived at the room we were given, it was a handicapped room with a King bed (which I requested). The bathtub was rusted and the bottom of the tub had been painted with what appeared to be latex paint. The caulk was failing around the tub and it was the equivalent of what you would expect to see in a building about to be condemned.

I went to the desk to ask if their was another room and was told ALL the King rooms were handicapped. Also they said none of the rooms had a refrigerator which is a standard request on my profile. We stayed with the room since we had little choice and it was only for a single night. The AC unit was so noisy as to make sleep almost impossible. The bedding was old and in need of replacement as it was torn and nearly threadbare. The same was true of the towels in the bathroom.

Marriott should evaluate this property and IMO it should be sold. Horrible experience, certainly not worth the 25K points it cost to stay there even if it is the closest Marriott property to the Grand Canyon it is the WORST Marriott property I have ever stayed in period, even the time a bathroom above me leaked into my room it was a better experience than this property.

I didn't take any photos of the room, but it was room 1106 according to my electronic bill. My stay date was Nov. 3 checking out on Nov. 4. Again, the room was the worst I have ever experienced at a Marriott property and the staff (and the overall appearance of the hallways) did not indicate anything better existed at this Fairfield Inn.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
Williams, Arizona, USA
  • Re: Fairfield Inn Williams, AZ - AVOID
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

I also stayed there three years ago and echo your comments.  We had my mother with us but they insisted on putting her in a room on a different floor!  Strange since I had spoken with them about putting us together.

Since it was a means to get to the Canyon and nothing else we held pur collective noses and spent the night, not that happy but we were able to sleep--it was October so a/c was not an issue.

I found the rooms to be very inadequate and not all that clean.  Wrote a note, got one back, but that was that.  I made a decision to avoid it in the future.

Thanks for the post.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nicerinperson Platinum

I wish I had known how bad it was going to be ahead of time. I took for granted it was a Marriott property and would be fine. Just to clarify, I had requested the king bed, but did not request a handicapped room. I could not figure for the life of me why all king rooms would be handicapped. When we arrived only 1 car was in the parking lot and I believe they had about 6-10 guest in total when all was said and done.

If anyone is planning a trip to the GC and would like to stay in the Williams area, my suggestion would be to check out the Wild West Junction B&B.

superchief1 Platinum

Flagstaff offers better hotel options, including a nice Fairfield Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn and highly rated (on Trip Advisor) Drury Inn and Suites. The Grand Canyon and Sedona are within easy driving distance, and Amtrak's Southwest Chief stops in Flagstaff.

We had a pleasant short stay in the Fairfield Inn last year. Rooms are clean but small.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Horrible experience, certainly not worth the 25K points it cost to stay"

Given the prime location near the Grand Canyon and a category 5, what you describe is regrettable; but it does happen.  At a Residence Inn conveniently located along Interstate 91 in Connecticut last year, the bathtub wall had what looked like a 1/8" wide settlement crack that ran vertically from the top of the tub nearly to the ceiling. Since we were road weary and checked in very late, we didn't even notice until the morning.  To make matters worse, there was no hot water!  This was only one among several issues at this property.  In other words, Marriott failed to deliver upon our expectations.

Fortunately, Marriott provides guests with some recourse.  Do consider contacting customer.care@marriott.com with the subject, "Unmet expectations Fairfield Inn Williams AZ Confirmation #12345678."  In the narrative, describe what took place and include the names of any associates for reference.  Customer.Care will reply with a Tracking # and forward your note to management at the property.  If you do not hear back w/in 3 days then ask customer.care to escalate.  Do consider the outcome/objective.

In our case, I requested and received a full refund of points plus bonus points for the inconvenience.

Let us know how it works out.

nicerinperson Platinum
    Thus far no response to my message to Customer Care other than the automated one and considering I sent the note on Saturday today is the 5th business day. I did not ask for my points back in my initial note, but I certainly plan to pursue. 25K for that property was ridiculous, especially considering I stayed at the JW Marriott Camelback for 30K per night at the end of the trip.

nicerinperson Platinum

I doubt anyone will ever see this, but I finally received my points back today. 8 days after I complained I got a response that they would refund my stay. After numerous emails out and no responses I finally sent off a note that got a response yesterday and the points were returned to my account today. A little frustrating for sure, but in the end I received what I was promised.

A big thank you to Stephanie H. with Customer Care who followed up and made sure the points were returned!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...