4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2010 11:18 AM by tef6178 RSS

Defining value in a hotel

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

A recent letter from a vintner friend spoke of the value of wines using this example:  He asked if a ten dollar wine was twice as good as a five dollar one (most of us would agree), and if then a fifty dollar wine was five times as good as a ten dollar one.This was relevant since the shipment he sent me had some wines near ten and most near fifty a bottle.

Now we are in subjective territory since taste is very hard to quantify in wines or food.  If you like it then it's a value.  In hotels, does paying twice as much mean that you've enjoyed it twice as much?  Hard to say, but I'd guess that people are sticking to price as the first order of business when they travel these days.  Thus, even if a hotel gives you what seems to be more and more for twice as much per night, many of us would choose to take the lower price.

So, posters, what determines the value for you in a hotel stay?  Are you as price conscious as I am?  Do you sometimes take the higher priced option knowing that it may not be that much better in the long run?

Thoughts?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Defining value in a hotel
    jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

I usually have a set amount that I can afford, and then will get the best Marriott in that price range.  Likewise, location is the other important factor.  Usually, the combination of these two factors will get me a good room.

But, bottom line, yes, I will spend more for a room that I know will be pleasant.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

stepping stones

good question.  for me, "value" is measured by the following criteria, not necessarily in order of importance.

1.  security of hotel and surrounding area.

2.  Location.

3.  cleansiness of overall hotel as well as individual room.

4. availability of concierge floor and lounge.

the higher up the scale a property falls on each of the above criteria weighs heavily on how much I am willing to pay. 

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Shoeman,

This is well said!

This is the way I feel.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

For me, value is determined with the following criteria as my "stepping stones":

First, value is a function of location....and then price. If the hotel is in close proximity to the reason or activity that brings me there, that is a value. Second, the price is important because I really don't know what the condition or cleanliness of the hotel is. I am trusting that with Marriott I will be rewarded with a positive outcome in these two areas.....although I must admit that on occasion, I am disappointed.

At the arrival, the next 'step' in the value chain is the service and friendliness of the staff. Their demeanor is most important in the value sense because a bad staff makes any price or location a bad value. Marriott is usually on top of the game in these areas....although, as we all know, we sometimes don't get what we expect. I do feel that I have been on the side of getting better than expected with Marriott on most of my visits.

During the stay there is a constant 'pulse' of value (increasing or decreasing) based on the amenities and follow thru for what the hotel says they are providing. The concierge room, the concierge help, the room make-up and staff attentiveness, and so-on continue all thru the stay to complete the value process.....right thru to the final checkout.

All these areas together help me make what is the final "value" determination and whether or not I will return to that location. So, for me, I base the value I receive on all the factors above and really don't know the final level of that value until I have left. In most cases with Marriott, it is a good one. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...