12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2011 5:10 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Non Smoking Hotel

dvianco Member
Currently Being Moderated

hoping one day the Marriott will be the first hotel in the wold declare as non smoking hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Non Smoking Hotel
    maxxedman Platinum

I thought it already was, at least where I stay

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

me too!  Isn't it???

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

All U.S. Marriott hotels are smoke-free; however, that is not the case in the rest of the world (although there are some countries that do have smoke-free hotels, Belgium, for instance).

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

All the more reason to spend our discretionary $$$$ in the US.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I have found that at least in Europe (perhaps surprisingly) most of the Marriotts I stay at are smoke-free.

ProfChiara

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/169390/thumbs/s-ARDI-RIZAL-VIDEO-CIGARETTE-SMOKING-WATCH-large.jpg

Above: Hooked Indonesian toddler, Ardi Rizal quits

If a smoke-free environment is what you expect from the Marriott brand, best to check the hotel factsheet in advance of making a reservation - especially in Asia.  The Insider, DVianco may be writing from Medan, Indonesia where a new JW Marriott recently opened.  There's no mention in the factsheet about the hotel's smoke-free policy.

Marriott's smoke-free policy may be US-centric and mainly applies to all properties and brands in North America, specifically the United States and Canada.  It's hit or miss outside of that.  With the exception of Jakarta which has laws restricting smoking, Indonesia is smoker-friendly.

You may recall the publicity earlier this year about a toddler (above) in Sumatra who smokes up to two packs a day!  In fact, the Huffington Post reports that the toddler quit, while other kids still light up.

klkl33928 Silver

It is. Although I feel they have become to stringent. I agree with no smoking in rooms and inside, but at the outside bar or on your balcony?? Gone to far

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Sorry, I don't agree with you...When I am on my balcony, I don't want to breath in the smoker's smoke..Thanks.

nanaglo45 Gold 3 Reviews

I agree 100%. Smokers of the world need to get the message: QUIT...It's for everyone's good (oh, except the tobacco industry). Second-hand and even third-hand smoke has proven to be very harmful to non-smokers. Smokers should see the chronic emphysema patients come in to an ER literally dying for breath. I've watched it and it's a horrible way to go.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I am with you..I don't know why anyone continues smoking understanding the medical impact on ones health and life. I have never smoked, but understand it is difficult to quit and is very addictive, similar to other drugs and alchohol. But to let it destroy your health and cut off years of your life, I have a hard time making sense of it, in my humble opinion.  The worse thing about it it, many Smoker's are very inconsiderate and don't even recognize that us non-smokers don't want to be exposed to second hand smoke, which is not only harmful, but also a disgusting aroma.

el2121 Gold 10 Reviews

i agree, everyone should quit smoking, most of the smokers would, but as with all addictions it is hard for some.

Jasper, i do not smoke, but i can handle it if someone smokes even in a radius of 10 Ft. of me. I wonder why i still life, when i was young like everyone smoked around me in closed rooms, regarding to the extreme non smokers i should be dead. Have an understanding and respect for others, and they will respect you and maybe not lit a cigarette. i am a non alcoholic drinker and would love people not to drink all night, they smell bad and their conversations make no sense. I accept that like i accept other humans.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

D,

Even though I am a Diamond with Hilton, their "Smoking" policy turns me off!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...