25 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2010 7:13 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Where have all the posters gone?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Apologies to both the Kingston Trio and Pete Seeger.

Is it me or does there seem to be a lack of new postings on the Insiders?

If you have not posted for a while can you answer this post and explain your reasons?  I for one would like to know and hope that Insiders can tell me what's happening.

Thanks

Stepping Stones

• Re: Where have all the posters gone?
    nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

This was a fun site when I first discovered it.  But then came the changes.  Too much trouble to figure it all out all over again.  I still follow a few posters and check in when I get an alert that they've made a post, but otherwise interest has faded.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Yes, this is not good!

There is something wrong with the lack of comments.  We used to have many all day long and now it's one per day.  Marriott is losing people when this site is down and underused.

This is a great "Tool" for people to learn,as well as  share ways to save time and money.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

I think part of it is that the "regulars" seem to be the only ones posting, be it in the forums or in the A&A section.  I try to get some A&A answers in from time to time but the forum sections really do not have a lot going on in them most of the time these days.

I think part of it is that the folks that are regulars here are plat or premier and already know a good bit of the content back here.  There are the stories, which some are great reads but otherwise just seems to be random questions asked by newer folks that either couldnt find their answer via the search (which we know kinda needs help) or didnt bother to search.  The lack of new content means when I poke my head in, I dont stay long.  As suggested in the other thread, Marriott needs to really rethink where/how they are driving members into this site.  We need some new blood back here (not that the regulars arent great) but I would suggest we get it "fixed" first.  Perhaps even Marriott realizes the site isnt ready to publish it widely in the properties? Have we heard any updates on when/if its going to be back to the pre-April version?

tjcnewyork Platinum

IMO, Insiders illustrates an important principle:

"Attention has its own intrinsic value, independent of money. People go on the Web in search of attention; they don't want to give it as much as get it." Esther Dyson, Wall Street Journal

Insiders is about exchanging stories, learning and overcoming challenges. Removing content, altering it's appearance, modifying how it's accessed has significant impact:  Unbearable Frustration or Instant Gratification.  Provide instant gratification, posting activity soars.

Remove the gratification component, activity drops. It's already happened, twice.  In February 2009, the Welcome to our 2009 Program Changes Forum discussion with over 27,000 views and more than 600 posts disappeared.   On April 1, 2010  ten forums became four,  Browse was removed, answers to posts disappeared from your profile and search became unusable.

When 2009 Program Changes was restored in July 2009, the number of views soared to over 28,000 and posting activity resumed with new vigor.  Restoring 'instant gratification' works.

Rethinking what and how to restore post-April 1st has potential.

theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Simple operating and  finding what i need seems to have vanished from the site.  For example I spent last week at the Mayflower in DC (wonderful facility excellent CL --Rudy and Roxana were so helpful in the CL) but I am at a loss as to how to convey that information to others so I don't.  By the way found an excellent restaurant near the Mayflower "Trattu" at 1823 Jefferson Pl. NW phone 202.452.4960--hard to find but wonderful food and service. This week I was at the Courtyard in Winston-Salem and found a couple of great restaurants.  (My big treats on the road are good restaurants and trails to run on)--getting ready for the Atlanta half-marathon on Thanksgiving morning.  I would write up the restaurants but not sure if anyone is interested or just how to post it.  Will be at the J.W. Marriott in Miami starting Sunday--any good restaurants or running areas...........Bill

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/GetStarted.gif

"I am at a loss as to how to convey that information to others so I don't."

Bill,

As important as a hotel is to the travel experience, many Insiders welcome posts about great dining and must-do sightseeing.  Creating a new post is as easy as clicking, 'Create a Post' under the 'Get Started' section on the Insiders Home page.  Insiders are great at hand-holding, so if you find yourself challenged, just give a shout.  We look forward to reading your posts!

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Well, I believe Husker has it nailed.  Further to what he said, it is my opinion that the site struck my fancy for a while and the comradere was something special to me.  The conversations were interesting and relevant, and the site was easy to navigate.  As we all know, there are many things one can do on the internet to find relevant information.  If a site loses that ease of navigation, AND, loses much of the relevant conversation, well then, it becomes irrelevant.  Finally, IMO, most of us are not so invested in this site that we will make a genuine effort to bring it back.  Too many other stops along route 66 to get our kicks....

• Re: Where have all the posters gone?z

zukracer asked,

"Have we heard any updates on when/if its going to be back to the pre-April version?"

Ain't happenin'!!

"Too many other stops along route 66 to get our kicks...."

I vote this quote of the day!

thanks Husker!

kahunapremier Platinum

For me, it is all work related. No time to browse like I use to or even post.

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Stepping,

Tonight I am seeing the Kingston Trio, in St. Louis, at the Sheldon Theatre!

I am so glad you mentioned them.  I have been waiting six months to see a group, that most people have not heard of.

I recently saw, Chad and Jeremy, and what a great show.

Am I showing my age?

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

I'm envious!  You're only showing your age like most of us!

ProfChiara

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I see in the Bill Marriott blog, if one says something that is valid, but even slightly negative, they zap it.

Methinks these things are not as fair and balanced as they should be.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"if one says something that is valid, but even slightly negative, they zap it."

Techie - The takeaway is different at Providing Our Timeshare Owners with More Flexibility. There's a cross-section of views about Marriott Destination Points that mirrors the public domain. (Timeshare Users Group, FlyerTalk, IntervalWorld.com and TripAdvisor)

kayjbee Platinum

Since the questions are answered by fellow travellers instead of by a represenative from Marriott, I find little value in asking the question.Most of us can explain how it worked for them, but there is no official answer and what worked for you that time might not be the correct or proper procedure. Secondly,since it appears that Marriott does not monitor the forum, what is the purpose to complain, state ideas or recommendations?Most of us are pretty experienced travellars and have figured out the basics, what we need is a website that interacts with us, the proffesional traveller, one that can get results or answers in a timely manner.

Example 1 : "Thats a very good question Mr./Mrs._____ I will bring that up to my Rewards Mgnt. team and see if we can use your suggestion.If your recommendation is selected, we will reward you with 5,000 points"

Example 2 : "Were sorry that there was construction going on at your hotel. Please accept this token of our apology and your continued loyalty to our brand".

tjcnewyork Platinum

"it appears that Marriott does not monitor the forum, what is the purpose to complain, state ideas or recommendations?"

To the contrary!  But, your thoughts are welcome and quite meaningful.  Listening to guests is a core competency that Marriott has mastered.  Insiders is only one of many channels to tune in on and learn what delights us or understand unmet expectations.

Over the past two years, Insiders have discussed and vetted ideas. Happily, many have been implemented, created new member value, improved amenities and influenced new brand experiences.

TJC

wow.  I must respectfully disagree.  I have reached out on any # of occasions and NEVER did I receive even a whisper of a response from above.  I, fo one, do not believe they monitor this site, except for deleting what they don't want posted.  You mentioned a chorus of things enacted from these forums.  Can you expound with some specifics?  I would feel a whole lot better if I believed this to be the case.

thanks

tjcnewyork Platinum

Shoeman and all,

Before outlining examples, it's imperative to clear up a misconception.  There are at least four classes of messages that are removed, edited or hidden:

• The first are messages that clearly violate the Insiders Terms & Conditions.  Simply, those that are not relevant and/or respectful.  This also regards users whose participation is blocked because of repeated violations.
    • The second are messages that include personal or associate contact information such as the Marriott Rewards #, the names of family members and their location of their place of residence or the name of the MOD at Fairfield XYZ.  These types of messages are typically edited to protect privacy and a note is sent to the poster.
    • The third are messages deleted by the poster.  Every Insider has the capability to Edit and/or Delete a message he/she has posted.
    • The fourth are messages that are hidden by a automated 'bot' that scans for certain words and phrases.  They're kept in a 'holding' area pending review by a team member.  Typical examples include strings of 8-digit numbers, e-mail addresses, vulgar or offensive language, mispelled words of the 4 letter variety and so on.

Content is so important to the formation of community and individual participation that the Insiders team extends very broad latitude when it comes to 'relevant' and 'respectful'.  Having said the above, the focus of my next message will be examples.

Cheers.

tjcnewyork Platinum

tjcnewyork Platinum

I agree that a 'Preview New Posts' capability is a desirable enhancement.  In addition, I'd like to see the new posts ranked and the ability to choose a preferred ranking i.e. highest number of views or votes or lowest number. Perhaps a distinction might be made between a 'Default View' and 'MyView' which would be a personalized version of the Default View with the capability to toggle on or off.

What I do now is look at MyProfile to see if the counts or views changed on posts I've replied to or authored.  Since activity is down, not much has changed.

NathalieF Community Manager Marriott Associate

Greetings, Insiders.

Since April's launch, we know there have been issues with the site structure and usability. We've heard your difficulties and frustrations loud and clear, and our intent is to get back to basic community principles of simplicity and ease of use. We are (and have been) addressing these issues and roadblocks, and we will have more to share with you in early 2011. We recognize the importance a beneficial Marriott Rewards Insiders experience has on you and your relationship with Marriott. We are working hard to evolve Insiders into a best-in-class community for, and by, members.

If you have any further thoughts or concerns that haven't already been shared on our forums, we encourage you to reach out via our feedback forum, or via private message.  

Thank you,

Andrew and the Marriott Rewards Insiders Team

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Nope Jerry, just showing your good taste.  Saw them in the 1960s with Peter, Paul and Mary and Jose Feliciano (there's a name from the past) at Carter Baron Ampitheater in Washington DC.

fourball Platinum

Work related delays also have inhibited the activity. The ease of access also has deminished a bit for me also as NuHusker mentioned. I still have hope we can find a way to simplify the access to new posts.

Perhaps the IT wizards can provide a daily sidebar or recent posts or requests that would show up on insiders pages when they log on. I am on the website nearly daily but sometimes forget to check for new posts or ways to assist people maximize their Marriott family and travel experiences.

JCB

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i866.photobucket.com/albums/ab222/TJCNEWYORKINSIDERS/London.jpg

"our intent is to get back to basic community principles"

IMO, the incremental changes are positive, visible and welcome.  MyProfile is not only easy to use, it's more attractive.  Advanced Search is light, intuitive and usable.

Besides "simplicity" and "ease of use", is "welcoming" a principle?  Perhaps a 'short list' with iconic thumbnail images that correspond to featured destinations might come across as a more 'welcoming' addition to the home page?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...