9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 8:41 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Renaissance Agoura Hills

sunshinevaca Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Warning to anyone considering staying at the Renaissance Agoura Hills, CA...

Don't.

It was THE ABSOLUTE WORST hotel experience that I have ever had.  For the following reasons:

Hotel grounds are in need of renovation. Building looks dirty and old, and the hallways smell musty.

Check in took 25 minutes.  Computers went down, but it took the manager to come tell me after 10 minutes of standing there waiting.

Found 2 pubic hairs on the supposedly "fresh" robe in the closet.

The entertainment stand had removable food stains, and the linen on the bed had stains.

The room smelled of cigarette smoke.  Called down to front desk, and was told there is no smoking on the 5th floor. But the smoke smell gradually got worse as it became later in the night.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Agoura Hills, California, USA
  • Re: Renaissance Agoura Hills
    newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Gross, gross, gross!  Contact customercare@marriott.com and insist on compensation, if not a total refund!

I never even touch those in-room robes anymore.  Found a lipstick in the pocket of one in Cancun that was laid out on my bed... guess that robe had never been cleaned!!!  Yuck!!! 

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Always contact the MOD (Manager on Duty) and the GM immediately when you smell nicotine smoke.  My experience is that they take immediate action to evict the smoker and move me (if needed) with help from the housekeeping dept.

If you did not do this (eg, if management did not know of the problem when it was happening), you should not blame management for not fixing what they do not know about.  On the other hand, if you did notify the MOD and GM, you definitely should note that to MARR customer service - they WILL be responsive.

I stay at the RENN Agoura Hills every month and can say unequivacally that they take good care of me --- and are very responsive to comments that I have.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"you should not blame management for not fixing what they do not know about."

Well said. This is not to invalidate Sunshinevaca's review, but in my experience, alerting management is the best course of action.  Management appreciates the heads-up and usually acts swiftly to resolve any issues.  Recognizing the inconvenience  and potential turnoff, more often than not, they express appreciation in ways to offset the experience.

Last year, my wife and I flew into and out of LAX for an extended vacation at the MVC Desert Springs Villas.  Our return flight to JFK was scheduled for late morning.  Anticipating rush hour traffic, we planned an afternoon visiting Malibu Beach, dinner the night overlooking the Pacific and a stay at the Ren Agoura Hills. I truly believe that the guest experience begins with the reservations experience and contacted Agoura Hills FD several times. They were cordial, friendly and exceeded expectations.  We booked a concierge upgrade plus breakfast redeeming a PointSavers Award - an incredible value.

Due to the sudden death of Michael Jackson and the funeral's impact on traffic in the region the day prior to our scheduled departure, our Malibu itinerary didn't happen.  We stayed put in Desert Springs and headed to LAX more than an hour earlier than the DSV concierge recommended on the day of departure.

It's reassuring to hear that Renaissance Agoura Hills observes the Spirit to Serve promise.  Based upon your experience and Elite referral, we'll definitely consider staying there next time.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I guess I'm wondering why you would even remain at a place that was so filthy...smoke smell, stained bedding, hairs on robe, food stains on the furniture, and so it goes.  Some folks have the patience to put up with filth, but I'm certain I would have walked, if not while waiting to check in, for sure once I smelled the musty odor in the hallway.  Sure signs that it's only gonna get worse. Heck, I walk if I'm told there is no upgrade available!  Marriott will most likely refund the cost of the room, and you can take satisfaction that you slept in a "free" filthy room.  If more people walked out and then complained, it'd send a much stronger message.  Good luck in your future travels.

tjcnewyork Platinum

According to the City of Agoura Hills, there's a Hampton Inn, a Homewood Suites and the Renaissance Agoura Hills.  The photos speak volumes:

http://ci.agoura-hills.ca.us/Modules/ShowImage.aspx?imageid=185

Hampton Inn

http://ci.agoura-hills.ca.us/Modules/ShowImage.aspx?imageid=180

Homewood Suites

http://ci.agoura-hills.ca.us/Modules/ShowImage.aspx?imageid=186

Renaissance Agoura Hills

With Marriott International claiming that Corporate travel is back and Revenue Per Available Room (REVPAR) gaining traction and up 9 percent in the 3rd Qtr 2010, there is the possibility that some locations have yet to catch up with redeploying housekeeping to meet demand.  Given the rash of legal action about reviews posted at TripAdvisor and elsewhere, there's also the possibility of exaggerated conditions.

As a rule, Elite benefits do not include Early Check-In; however, in my experience, calling ahead and requesting an Early Check-In can be accomodated and the Renaissance Agoura Hills was willing to honor my request in July 2009.

By comparison, all 3 choices appear dated; but the Renaissance is the only full service in town.  Given the waiting period described, could this simply be an early check-in gone sour?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TJC wrote:

"Based upon your experience and Elite referral, we'll definitely consider staying there next time."

TJC -- Are we reading the same post by sunshinevaca or did I miss something?  Sunshinevaca describes this as..."THE ABSOLUTE WORST hotel experience that I have ever had."

tjcnewyork Platinum

Regrets NUHusker, we're not. I'm referring to countryjim's quote ("you should not blame management for not fixing what they do not know about."). Countryjim stays at the Renaissance Agoura Hills every month.  His positive referral works for me.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

Ironic that this Insider thread is underway concurrent with my monthly stay at the RENN Agoura Hills last Friday night, where I encountered a bewildering double-whammy  ---- a situation that in all fairness was addressed immediately by the GM.

All properties have their occasional problems.  In my regular monthly stay at this RENN over two years, all has been fine with absolutely no problems --- until Friday.

Tried to check in early Friday afternoon for a nap --- only to be rudely awakened by an air hammer on the roof just above my concierge room.  Could not sleep, so tried some work on the internet --- only to find that it was inoperative --- at least in my room and several others nearby.  To his credit, the evening MOD (manager of the day) allowed me to use the desk in a vacant room down the hall where the internet did work.  So, got the work done--- but no rest until the contractor went home.

To the GM's credit, I did get a phone call from her that afternoon.  After she apologized profusely,  I pointed out that the folks at the front desk did not have a clue about the construction noise until I called them.  I asked --- If this was planned daytime work, can we not advise the front desk to avoid affected rooms until after 5 PM?  Or, how about blocking off rooms in the affected area?  To these questions, the GM's answers:  yes, and we will.

In this case, management was quick to respond .  I was pleased that the issues were resolved within a reasonable time - once management was clued in.  My SOP:  Don't complain about an untoward situation unless you have first alerted the GM and/or MOD and get no response.  Again, management cannot fix what it does not know about.  

tjcnewyork Platinum

"My SOP:  Don't complain about an untoward situation unless you have first alerted the GM and/or MOD and get no response.  Again, management cannot fix what it does not know about."

Extremely well said!  It's important that the GM or MOD take ownership for alerting the FD and checked-in guests about conditions. It sets expectations and maximizes successful outcomes.  Kudos on a post that helps us learn the ropes.

SOP=standard operating procedure

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...