8 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2010 8:51 PM by anadyr RSS

The Survey (Now)  Said?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Apologies to Family Feud and its first host, Richard Dawson who famously said, "The survey said!"

The emailed survey that I got today from a recent stay was like most of the others that I've gotten, and it even had an enticement--fill this out and we'll enter you in a contest to win a prize, etc.

I clicked on the link and saw a page with a code embedded on it--my unique identifier for the survey.  When I clicked "Next" it told me that my password (which I did not enter) was incorrect and to try again.

I was logged into Marriott Rewards, had all my Internet filters in place, and tried the link using both Firefox and Internet Explorer.  Neither would work.

Has anyone else had this issue arise?  Is this a third party vendor issue?  Just wondering?

Got this today:

"Thank you for your interest in providing feedback on your recent experience with Marriott Vacation Club International. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced in accessing our web site. We were experiencing a technical issue which has now been resolved."

and it worked!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: The Survey (Failed to be able to say that it) Said?
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Marriott invests significant $$ to collect, analyze and measure guest feedback to improve guest experience as well as streamline service delivery.  While rare, sounds like a gliche or flaw in the coding. Check the bottom of the e-mail.  Usually, there is an e-mail address to respond to survey access issues.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

I did that and there was no remedy, sadly.  Must be a vendor issue.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I had the same issue.  Sadly, even if there is an email address to contact with issues, once a problem arise on a survey I simply move on.  Marriott may spend millions of $$$ on research, but it is wasted money if they or their vendor partner cannot get the site right.  In all fairness, I have found this problem multiple times with multiple companies when answering a questionaire.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Must be a vendor issue"

Marriott does procure services from market researchers and other vendors.  There is an extensive list posted at Marriott's Privacy Statement.  Consider giving Marriott a heads-up about the survey access experience by forwarding the invite to customer.care@marriott.com

• Re: The Survey (Now)  Said?

I got an email from the vendor within 18 hours as my revised post shows, and then completed the survey as originally intended.

It seems to me that these kinds of surveys are often sent but seldom meaningful and here's why:  surveys that take a lot of time and are unsupervised (we do it ourselves without any help) like this one tend to skew responses to the extremes (e.g., to 10 or to one), or to the golden mean (the middle).  They seldom branch after an answer is given to dig into specific issues.  Other questions are forced choice--only one response is allowed--and therefore might miss key nuances in a guest experience.

My suggestion would be to use the University of Michigan Survey Research Center's approach--direct conversations with a guest, preferable in person but also by phone, where the questioner reads directly from a card, and the responses are cataloged as given.  That's the basis of true survey research and has been for nearly 80 years.

Just my opinion for what it matters.

Stepping Stones

tjcnewyork Platinum

Agreed. While the online survey approach provides flexibility and convenience, engaging a guest directly may be more meaningful.  There's also the advantage of being able to capture guest comments verbatim via recording provided the guest agrees.

What's extremely irritating about the online surveys (in general) is the number of questions, the inconsistent relevance and the length of time required.  Some Marriott online surveys are upwards of 20 screens and feel like a cookie cutter survey to the point that many amenities and/or services one is being asked to rate are not applicable to the property or applicable to the guest.

For example, we've heard many Insiders volunteer their experience with 'slow' Internet.  Since corporate travel is key to Marriott's business, and internet connectivity is a service that business travelers rely upon when they are on the road, it would make sense to ask what was the primary reason for travel, first.  If the guest indicated 'business', then branch the questioning to focus on services that business travelers depend upon.  In recent memory, I do not recall any survey questions about internet.  Keep in mind that Internet was not always free so even as a profit center, service delivery was not measured.

Along those lines, if one is traveling on leisure with family, give the guest the ability to indicate that and provide branching to relevant questions about tots travel too, activities, spa, golf, tennis and whatever makes sense.

A cookie cutter approach to guest feedback indirectly conveys lack of concern for the guest's time let alone the quality of the feedback desired.

Good points, Stepping Stones - let's hope online capabilities can be better utilized.

dw152a Gold

I get these surveys from rental car companies, hotels, airlines, and other services I use.  I rarely fill them out because it takes a bit of my time, and I don't think they have much relevance or impact.  If nothing else, the responses are run through several filters -- first the survey company, then the part of Marriot that contracted with the survey company, and then more internal steps.  Throughout this process, the results are subject to manipulation or interpretation.  Therefore, by the time your results get back to Marriott, they are so diluted and out of your control that it's not worth the time.  Doing an on-live survey is the cheapest way for them to get feedback, but if they are just interested in doing the survey for the lowest cost, are they REALLY interested in the results?

And if I encounter a technical glitch like you described, then it really reinforces my perception that they don't care and don't have their act together.  I recently got a survey this for my workplace.  Even though I was cynical about it, I took the time to fill it out.  Halfway through, it completely crashed.  I gave up at that point.

If they really wanted my opinion, they could pick up the phone and call me and converse (not ask a series of questions) -- or send me a direct email that they really read. One time I stayed at a Boston-area Courtyard.  A couple of days later I received an email from the manager thanking me for my stay and asking if I had any issues.  I politely pointed out that the key reader on the back door was not working and anyone could walk into the back entrance at any hour of the day and night without a key, which I felt was a security concern.  I did not hear anything back from the manager.  I concluded that he really didn't care after all and that I had wasted my time.

Well said!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...