8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2010 9:22 PM by lakeshore RSS

Resorts v Hotels

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone else find this distinction irritating re elite benefits - for example free breakfasts or conceirge lounges.  I personally thunk its time to lose the distinction.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Resorts v Hotels
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Great idea!  Resorts vary widely in quality and amenities but all are lounge-less, sadly.I assume that this is a decision made long ago, perhaps on the assumption that a traveler to a resort does not need what were considered to be business traveler amenities. Since the lounges have lost their cachet as a business haven, maybe it's time to rethink the entire scheme of things?

I also dislike the distinction made by the Marriott Vacation Club for those renting villas, for example, where upgrades are specifically prohibited at all times for all elite members.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

dw152a Gold

This snagged me recently.  I made a reservation at what I thought was a regular Marriott hotel.  I called ahead and asked for a room upgrade, and I was told that it would be no problem and that I should ask when I checked in.  But when I arrived at the hotel and checked it, I was told that the place was a timeshare and not a hotel, and therefore no upgrades.

(As an aside, when I tried to explain to the person at the front desk that I had called the night before for an upgrade and was told that all I had to do was ask when I checked in, he said "well, you can always ask, but the answer is no."  I thought this was a pretty rude way of putting it and didn't acknowledge the fundamental problem with their place -- that they gave me wrong information when I had called ahead.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"time to lose the distinction"

Based upon several posts, the grouping of hotels and resorts under the brand umbrella, Marriott Hotels and Resorts can foster a mismatch in expectations.  The description speaks of amenities that resorts tend to lack:

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Brands/MHR/Logos/MHR_logowhitefield_120x60.gif

• Flagship brand of quality-tier, full-service hotels & resorts
    • Provides consistent, dependable, and genuinely caring experiences to guests on their terms
    • 521 Marriott Hotels & Resorts locations worldwide; 343 US, 178 international. Features include:

-  Fully equipped fitness centers
    -  Gift shops
    -  Swimming pools
    -  Concierge levels
    -  Business centers
    -  Meeting facilities
    -  High-speed Internet access is available at many hotels

Regards Marriott Vacation Club, this leisure brand caters to the timeshare owner.  While I'm not sure how Marriott Vacation Club will prioritize the assignment of villas under Marriott's new points-based program, Destination Club, currently the prioritization based upon home resort ownership and multiple weeks owned with Marriott is well-accepted among owners as a fair and workable solution.

http://cache.marriott.com/Images/Brands/MVCI/Logos/MVCI_logowhitefield_120x60.gif

• Marriott Vacation Club is a recognized leader in the vacation ownership industry with more than 400,000 families around the globe who own their vacations “the Marriott way” through a program that is well regarded for its quality management and unique flexibility.
    • Spacious 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom villa accommodations offer all the conveniences of home.

While it may be mind-boggling to transient travellers loyal to Marriott, there are a handful that own 52 deeded weeks of Marriott timeshare.  At an average of $1200 in maintenance fees, the revenue exceeds $64K annually excluding dining, spa, golf and other services - not to mention the upfront costs involved in ownership.

With any level of investment in Marriott vacation deeded ownership, owners may potentially perceive a breach if an 'upgrade' was given to transient rentals at a Marriott Vacation Club resort on the basis of Elite status only.

tightlines Gold

If you travel as much as I do, the concierge level, free breakfasts and evening snacks are a great convenience.

redwood Platinum 5 Reviews

I was not comparing the MVC resorts but full service Marriott hotels branded as resorts - which lack concierge floors and other elite benefits.  Appreciate the MVC stuff is quite separate.

I still think the hotel/resort distinction should be lost

johnm1 Platinum 5 Reviews

Not I, and I own 2 - 2bedroom units in St Kitts that are on Marriott Resort property and 1 - 2 bedroom unit @ Canyon Villas which on a J W Marriott property.  Having just worked myself up to Platinum Level in Marriott Rewards and a Multiple time share owner, I would appreciate the extension of having the programs co-mingled Rewards members that are are also owners. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Having just worked myself up to Platinum Level in Marriott Rewards and a Multiple time share owner, I would appreciate the extension of having the programs co-mingled"

Congratulations on making Platinum, johnm1.  As a multiple-week MVC owner since 1994, I think Marriott made a real breakthrough in brand integration by counting MVC deeded nights towards Elite Qualifying status in July 2008.   A year later, Marriott assigned Marriott Vacation Clubs to Hotel Categories.  This enabled unification of point redemption across all Marriott brands.  Do these examples convey what you intend by 'co-mingling'? Or, do you have different ideas? Please elaborate - we welcome your thoughts.

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

To be clear, we own a week at Newport coast  Villas, so does that mean our 7 nights go toward status?  I always thought they should, but when we bought 5 years ago, this wasn't so.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...