6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 27, 2010 11:04 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Security Issue

rainbowwill Platinum 2 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Per our newest Ambassador's request, I have been pondering a possible security issue.  We have our hardcopy invoices delivered to our rooms during the wee hours of the last night of the stay.

Sometimes, they are protruding into the hallway and I have seen some left completely outside the room.  Since this has the room number and guest name, this information might be misused by someone walking the hall.

Will

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Security Issue
    dw152a Gold

The last Marriott I stayed in simply rolled the bill up and stuck it between the door handle and frame, on the outside of the door.  Some places I've stayed at put it in an envelope and hang it from the door handle.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Its not just name and room number, its rewards numbers, rate details, charges to the room, etc.  Most nights I'm there I find my slip all the way under my door but I also get mine emailed to me so some hotels I'm at for multiple weeks will just not even put one under the door once I tell them I get electronic copies.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I have this problem regularly, in fact more often than not it's halfway under the door -- and it is a real security issue.  I suspect the people who are delivering the bills, especially in larger hotels are trying to get it done as quickly as possible.  It probably should go into training that the bill must be put entirely under the door.

ProfChiara

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

The security of your and my personal information should always be safeguarded from others. Marriott scrambled the numbers of my account with asterisks on the folios I receive but most other personal information is clearly marked on the paper shoved under or nearly under the door.

Perhaps there is a way to deliver the information without having it visible to others.  Perhaps an opt-out choice in our profile where you must check that you actually want a folio at your door?

Great post on an important subject--thanks.

kahunapremier Platinum

It really comes down to training and addressing this simple process, which is to put the entire bill under the door. I make it a habit to inform the GM of any issues and to keep them informed during the week if anything is out of order. Because it is much easier to deal with an elite member that is providing solutions than it is to deal with no elite members that are just so bend on making a scence.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Well said, Kahuna.  This topic compelled a visit to Marriott's Privacy Statement at Marriott.com/privacy.mi

Kudos to Marriott for having a well-defined privacy policy.  It's not mentioned, but perhaps guest information in Express Check-out and other printed statements could be incorporated into the policy, as well?  Beyond policy, the rubber meets the road with associate training.

As noted in Marriott's Privacy Statement, questions or concerns about privacy issues can be forwarded via email to privacy@marriott.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...