5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2010 11:16 PM by retired RSS

Upgrades at a Cat6

federalflyer Gold
Currently Being Moderated

Took the family to DC for a quick trip. Used reward points and even upgraded for Pennsylvania ave view. Bottomline, mediocre room on 14th street with an alcove nook window to strain for a Washington monument view. Not so sure this facility deserves a category 6 ranking. Had better room and service on the road at a category 3! Teach me to use points...Frown

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Washington, D.C., USA
  • Re: Upgrades at a Cat6
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Traveling with family and staying with Marriott on points has always been a value-add, IMO.  How can we help you using points?  Feel free to ask away and be candid.

Marriott has 3 Category 6 hotels in DC, are you referring to the JW Marriott on Pennsylvania Avenue and 14th Street?  Since you were with family, what expectations did you communicate to the Front Desk? To have more spacious accomodations, a view, concierge access or all of the above?

While the JW has a variety of suites, the rooms are comparatively small. (My preference in DC is the Mayflower.)  What were you upgraded to and what level of service did you expect?  What did not meet your expectations?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

retired Platinum

My wife and I just spent five nights at the J.W. Marriott in D.C. in late September. I agree that the room was small, Not sure I got a upgrade on my room (9th floor). I did stay on points, and had to ask about the concierge lounge. While in the lounge on the first day the head of the lounge came over and greeted us. After talking for awhile she asked what we had planned for our five day vacation so I said we wanted to see the Nationals and Braves play that Friday night. She said she may have a contact for tickets, I'm thinking how hard is it to get National tickets. I'm also thinking I don't want to spend $$$ for the tickets. To my wife and my surprise we had a call to pick up a note at the front desk the next day. When we picked up our message we where shocked to find out they gave us two tickets for the Friday night game with the Nationals and Braves. I'm not talking nose bleed seats, these where upwards of $125 for the pair. When I read about the issues that we run into from time to time with Marriott I will think about how a employee and the J.W. made our trip over the top. Sometimes are expectations can be hard to meet but its really nice when you don't have any expectation and are surprised with something above and beyond. Yes I would stay at the J.W. again even if its not baseball season!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Very nice story, Retired!  Thanks!

tjcnewyork Platinum

"When I read about the issues that we run into from time to time with Marriott I will think about how a employee and the J.W. made our trip over the top. Sometimes are expectations can be hard to meet but its really nice when you don't have any expectation and are surprised with something above and beyond."

Extremely well said.  Marriott's Spirit to Serve culture has many faces.   And your experience @ the JW Marriott illustrates that so well.  To ensure that the associate is recognized, consider forwarding a note to customer.care@marriott.com with the subject as Exceeding Expectations @ JW Marriott, Confirmation #12345678

retired Platinum

TJC

Thanks for the info. on who to contact I just sent a note to customer care with both employees names and info.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...