2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2010 1:25 AM by techie RSS

Screwed in Fort Worth, TX

dallasf Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

About four weeks ago, I reserved a room for three nights at the Dallas/Ft. Worth Airport Marriott South. This was done so that I could attend a meeting with one of my largest customers. My customer's office is less than a miel from the Marriott, and they have a discounted rate of $99.00 per night at that hotel. As such, they tell us to use their discounted rate.

When I arrived at the hotel to check in after a long day of travel - it was about 9PM local time (10PM to me as I live on the east coast), it appeared that I would be all set. I was greeted nicely - I have stayed in this particular hotel on many ocassions  before. I inquired in palling to make sure that I was getting the discounted rate, and was told that no I was not getting it. I then asked what rate I was getting, and was told $229.00 per night - over twice what I should have been charged.

When I objected that this was wrong, the young lady at the desk told me that she couldn't change the rate. I told her that was not acceptable and that my reservations hould have been set up at that rate - that I had used it many times before. She offered to get the manager for me and I told her to go right ahead and do so.

When the manager came out, he basically told me that since the hotel was full they were not honoring the discounted rate and that I would be charged the full rate. I was astounded by this - I have never been treated like this at a Marriott before in my life. His excuse is that since the economy is coming back, they are not having any trouble filling the hotel. Once they get to the last 20 rooms, they stop honoring the discounted rates.

Basically, I flew all the way to Texas to get ripped off.

Bottom line, I refused to pay that rate and told him I would never say in his hotel again. He did not seem the least bit phased but that - even when I told him that I was a Platinum Premier member at Marriott.

To add insult to injury, two of my business associates arrived the following day and did in fact receive the $99.00 discounted rate. So while I am paying $142.00 per night at a Courtyard, they are staying in a Marriott on the concierge level for $99.00 per night.

If this is the way that Marriott is going to treat their customers, perhaps I should be staying at a Hilton property.Yell

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Dallas, Texas, USA
  • Re: Screwed in Fort Worth, TX
    wonnder1 Silver

Hoping that manager was just having a bad day.  I work in reservations and this kind of thing reallly bugs me, because while you clearly know where the blame lays, most of the time it's something I get blamed for!

You should have an email that has the proper price on it?  That's the contract you agreed to, and that has to be honoured.

Did you go to customer service?  I would think this falls under the elite benefits guarantee.

"If your reservation cannot be honored, we’ll pay for your stay that night at a nearby hotel, plus send you a check to compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number must be part of your reservation. Compensation may be up to $200 USD, and varies by hotel brand. See Elite Benefits Guarantee Terms and Conditions for details."

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Screwed in Fort Worth, TX
    techie Platinum 7 Reviews

Did you have a printout of your reservation at the $99 rate?  How would you know what rate the reservation was made for if you don't?

The best way to prevent misunderstandings is to have the reservation confirmed and printed out.  I do that every time, even if it is just to a pdf file.  And I've never had a problem.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...