3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 2, 2010 1:43 PM by tjcnewyork RSS

The essence of innovation

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Curt Carlson said it best:  "Innovation is the process of creating and delivering new customer value in the marketplace."

Marriott Rewards Insiders and the program of Marriott Rewards itself are in a tough competitive arena where new ideas and old ideas clash in the attempt to engage members and develop loyalty to the Marriott Brands of hotels.

I was wondering if anyone else could think of new, innovative ideas, naturally that are economically feasible, that could enhance our collective experience at Insiders and as members of Marriott Rewards?

This is like one of those white board exercises in which no idea lacks merit, and all are considered.

Here's a few that I have been thinking about in no particular order of innovation, impact or cost:

1. Personalizing the Insider's look and feel for each one of the elite levels--Platinum members would see a different screen than Gold or Silver or regular members.
  2. Targeted Insider's content that leads a poster to relevant information in the program or about a location of a property by using context-sensitive tags.
  3. Ability to toggle between Insiders and "My Account" on Marriott.com, perhaps as a split screen. This could be turned off or on by the user.
  4. Ability to converse with a live Marriott person during an Insider's session (Dell and others do this now) when issues arise.
  5. Online roundtable discussions among common interest subjects for some Insiders, not necessarily the entire universe of members of Marriott Rewards.

Some of these are "nice to do," or not,  But for us users the creation of value is all important and that's why we stick with the programs.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: The essence of innovation
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

Stepping Stones

I debated whether or not to respond to your post.  Although I always respect your opinions and ideas, my thoiughts on the subject are as follows.  The Insiders page  (in my opinion) has never even remotely returned to its past ease and simplicity.  Because of this, I do not want Marriott doing ANYTHING more to the site.  You want added value?  Fix the darn site!  That would be more valuable than any additions......  comments anyone?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

I'm not saying that maybe one day the Insiders site and us might benefit from some improvements, but for now I have to ditto Shoeman.  We already know what this round of innovation got us.

tjcnewyork Platinum

""Innovation is the process of creating and delivering new customer value in the marketplace."

Given that definition, Elite Rollover Nights + Double EQN fits extremely well into the innovation bucket. Marriott successfully created new customer value for loyal Marriott Rewards members, IMO.

Brand integration efforts such as the recent announcement that Marriott Rewards members can earn points at upscale brand, Ritz-Carlton also delivers more value.

Combined with Free Internet, Marriott Rewards Insiders has the potential to be innovative; but I wouldn't classify incremental improvements as such.

Marriott's core competency is hospitality.  Using technology to enhance the delivery of your core services is very evident.  For example, Reservations is a core service and Marriott.com tops all other online engines out there, for sure.   Marriott also delivers Marriott.com to road warriors' Smartphones.  Marriott's mobile vendor, Usablenet.com built a solid platform.  If Insiders could be accessed from my Blackberry - that would add tremendous value.

From this perspective, I agree with shoeman and NUhusker that Insiders potential to add new value hasn't been realized - yet.  For one, the critical mass is lacking.  Two, it is quite evident from the last launch that getting ahead of yourself can leave you open to Murphy's Law.  When Murphy's Law hits, the impact can shrivel up the critical mass that took months to build.

While I'm a huge fan of webinars and have personally hosted online events and conferences as a Moderator on CompuServe, such live events hosted on the Insiders platform is quite a scarry thought.

The April Fools launch added zero new value.   Given the decline in participation, it appears that many are weary of Insiders challenges. With Halloween around the corner, let's hope the new launch delivers capabilities that we'll regard as a Treat.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...