7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2010 3:25 PM by lakeshore RSS

Newport Coast Villas Special Offer $299 - old

tjcnewyork Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

http://www.marriottvacationclub.com/landing/ppc/img/newport.jpg

In the wake of availability issues at Newport Coast Villas*, inventory is available for a Special Preview Offer, Enjoy 4 Days/3 Nights in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath villa from $299

In addition to the online collateral, Marriott Vacation Club took a full page ad on the inside front cover of Interval World, the periodical for Interval International, the timeshare exchange company where Marriott owners deposit weeks for exchange.

My wife and I are very interested in this special offer, but the printed ad says, "This offer is available to the residents of the District of Columbia and residents of the 50 states within the United States of America, excluding New York."

Comments?

* Problems booking Newport Coast Villas week

• Re: Newport Coast Villas Special Offer $299
    randomname Platinum 7 Reviews

When you go for one of the timeshare visits you don't necessarily stay at the timeshare itself.  Often your stay will be in an adjacent or nearby Marriott hotel.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

"When you go for one of the timeshare visits you don't necessarily stay at the timeshare itself.  Often your stay will be in an adjacent or nearby Marriott hotel."

Good point, thanks for the comment.  If I recall correctly, under the legacy timeshare model, where Marriott Vacation Club offered pre-construction pricing, the stay was typically at an adjacent timeshare or nearby Marriott hotel.

Now that Marriott has discontinued the sale of weeks-based home resorts, and phased resort construction has ceased, Marriott Vacation Club may be doing just that in order to have inventory to drive sales.

Although we have received several special offer previews, the only one we signed up for was Marriott's Custom House in Boston in 2001.  The stay exceeded our expectations and we were really interested.  Interest waned when we learned that Marriott had a lease on the Custom House that expired in 50 years.

Under the new program which involves a "land trust" it is not clear what Marriott is selling at Newport Coast.  It's certainly not weeks-based ownership at a home resort.  On second thought, the special offer seems to good to be true.

Marriott was dropped from the roster of Most Ethical Companies in 2010. The credibility of the organization and owner trust and confidence in the Marriott Vacation Club specifically is at question based upon over 200 owner comments at Marriott on the Move.

Years ago Marriott converted rooms at that Maui Ocean Club and Kuaui Beach Club into 2 bedroom 2 bath suites with kitchenettes.  We exchanged through Interval into these properties and enjoyed 2 back-to-back weeks in Hawaii.  To be cost-effective and drum up sales, MVC may be considering the conversion of concierge level rooms at nearby Newport Beach Hotel & Spa into units for the Marriott Collection

Could this promotion be a 'bait and switch'?  My call for more information got a recording.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

lakeshore Platinum 11 Reviews

Wow, I am in shock.  I see that the ad is valid in the summer(which is the completely oversold time of year for owners, which I was talking about in my post) for $399 for 3 nights/4 days.  I am appalled!  How can they do this to the owners who have been told that there is no availability?  I am speechless.  They need to open up all of the available units to owners first(they have been withholding the release of the last phase or two for a couple of years now, even though they are completely built).  I am so disappointed in Marriott and how they are treating their loyal owners.  Very sad.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I see that the ad is valid in the summer(which is the completely oversold time of year for owners, which I was talking about in my post) for $399 for 3 nights/4 days."

The Interval World ad immediately triggered memory of the situation you described recently.

Thanks for the info.  I would say, take the deal while you can.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Take the deal while you can"

The ad clearly states that Marriott owners who are New York State residents are excluded.

Sorry.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...