3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2010 4:14 PM by profchiara RSS

Feedback

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Constructive criticism is something I give freely. Complaining, while it makes me feel better, seldom gets to the root cause of an issue.

Recently I made a comment online and within days got a response from the hotel's GM, and a solution was found that was agreeable to me and to the GM.

Nice to see that feedback is in fact being heard and acted on, at least in my situation.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Feedback
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

I agree with your strategy, Stepping Stones.

I find it far more effective to report a problem rather than make a complaint, or point out a more effective way of doing things rather than grumbling about the current procedure.

Recently, when I was checking into a full-service Marriott that for years had provided Plats and Golds with breakfast on weekends, the front desk clerk said, sorry, but our policy has changed and you will not receive breakfast coupons for this weekend.

I subsequently emailed the GM asking whether the policy actually had changed, and why was it changed.

The GM replied immediately apologizing profusely for an error by the clerk apparently caused by a misunderstanding of a change not intended to affect Golds and Plats ------- later identified as a misreading of a memo announcing discontinuation of one of the property's breakfast-included rates.

Point is that the GM was reachable, approachable and seemed appreciative that someone would call his attention to such an anomaly.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

tjcnewyork Platinum

Greetings Stepping Stones,

Excellent topic.

While in Orlando recently, it was my experience that there is an increased sense of shared accountability for meeting and exceeding guest expectations.  Although there were exceptions, the overwhelming majority of associates my wife and I encountered while on two different properties over a two week period was positive and engaging. In hindsight, escalating issues to the GM - and there were several that merited it - would have been overkill.  Management deserves credit for implementing 'Spirit to Serve' training.

Sparing details, in our situations, senior associates at the Front Desk, Housekeeping, Engineering, Loss Prevention and Sales/Marketing (Concierge) took note quickly, apologized, immediately implemented appropriate remedies and followed up to check if the outcome met expectations.  It was truly remarkable. Overall, we were very pleased.

While complaining might make some feel better, I am finding greater associate receptiveness to polite and constructive guest feedback.  Thanks and way to go, Marriott.

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

I completely agree about constructive criticism versus complaining.  In fact, the latter could actually result in the opposite reaction.  It's one thing, for example, to tell someone at the desk your computer connection isn't working; it's another thing to shout at them about it (something I have seen too often in Europe).

ProfChiara

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...