2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 10:52 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

In such a great company, a second disappointment

finnsailor Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I have repeatedly made this comment to Marriott via comment cards, but am still frustrated by the television selections available in full service Marriotts.  There are the usual network channels, a few "general" channels such as Discovery or History, and at least five, or six, or seven sports channels.  ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN History...you name it....yet there is virtually nothing oriented specifically toward females or even families.  I'd love to see TLC, Food Network, Bravo, there are a number of channels that would be of more interest than non-stop sports for the non-sports fan regardless of gender.

The standard answer is that managers decide what to offer...yet every Marriott offers essentially the same selection.  When is this company going to admit that female business travelers comprise a large amount of their business, and contribute a tremendous amount toward Marriott's bottom line??

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: In such a great company, a second disappointment
    jmat6687 Gold

Just stumbled upon your post, but I absolutely agree with the lack of channels in many Marriott brands. My wife would like the types of channels you suggest. Too many times, instead of the local cable tv(which would include all types of channels), they go for the basic "el-cheapo" satellite tv of about 20 or 25 channels. This is Marriott-not Motel 6. This is 2010 not 1985. 25 channels? That was exciting in 1985, but today that is just horrible. Go with cable tv! Or get a better satellite package that includes channels of interest for kids, women, and those who are not news or sports junkies. From a high-end brand like Marriott, we should expect  better, especially now that the tv's are becoming 32 or 36 inch HD capable flat screens

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: In such a great company, a second disappointment
    tjcnewyork Platinum

http://marriott.typepad.com/.a/6a0105371d44b0970b0120a59961c7970b-320wi

Above:  Brad Nelson corporate chef and vp culinary, Marriott

Good post(s) and excellent topic.  Thank you (both) for voicing unmet expectations while at the same time offering solutions.  IMHO, there is a sound business case for Marriott to consider your suggestions.

For business or leisure, to be a road warriorr requires staying healthy and being fit!  And I fully agree, it's gender agnostic, too.  Expanding entertainment choices to include TLC, The Food Network and Food Channel among others is about recognizing the growth of interest and popularity in eating naturally, organic and right.  It's also relevant to meeting guest expectations.

There are many posts on Insiders, FlyerTalk and elsewhere from Elite that ask for healthier food choices in Concierge Lounges and Marriott restaurants.  To that point, Marriott in the Kitchen features vp culinary and corporate chef, Brad Nelson.  Marriott's lodging division already has a pro like Brad - why not utilize his expertise to help drive guest satisfaction even further?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...