6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 3:58 PM by jerrycoin RSS

The Algonquin becomes a Marriott Autograph Hotel

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
New York, USA
  • Re: The Algonquin becomes a Marriott Autograph Hotel
    dyeliad Platinum 1 Reviews

Just stayed at The Algonquin for a long weekend.   I was told at checkin that while affiliated with Marriott now, they are still their own boutique hotel and that they receive both positive and negative reviews like any hotel (not that I asked).  We were given a Queen room on the 9th Floor - definitely not an upgrade for being Marriott Gold.  It was room 900 and faced the center of the building, with no view but was quiet with little street noise.  The room was small, however, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom had enough space and worked well.  Our only complaint was that it was far too hot in the room, while temperatures outside were in the 20's.  We set the AC as low as possible and even open the bathroom window all the way and it never cooled below 72 degrees in the room.  We couldn't open the window in the room as it was nailed shut.

The Lobby was beautiful and the staff generaly friendly.  For my Elite Status, we were given 2 passes for Continental Breakfasts for each day (Sat, Sun & Mon) along with 2 passes for cocktails each night.  This was the only reason we tried the breakfast, which was underwhelming but ok, however the waiters were not very pleasant or attentive. At night, the drinks were wonderful and the night waitstaff was much better and very friendly.  The atmosphere at night was very exciting with live music and lots of people.

The Location is wonderful and we are very likely to stay at The Algonquin again if simply for the Marriott Points.  We had a great rate at $152 per night which we reserved months in advance but doubt that we'd get that kind of rate again on shorter notice.

The Algonquin Cat, Matilda, is a beautiful creature!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

baysidedmd Platinum 6 Reviews

Stayed at Algonquin this past weekend--really a shabby hotel and not in the shabby chic kind of way.  Location is great and parking garage with validated discount if you park yourself is a great bonus.  DB Modern Restaurant virtually next door and is a phenomenal NY spot.  Hotel is walking distance to NY theater.  Rooms unbelievably small, staff unimpressive.  Lounge offered sad peanut mix which would be better left in carton.  Really a shame considering the location!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Changed my mind, had the wrong place!  I to stayed there 30 years ago for the Macy's Day Parade.  It was worn out then.  Very small rooms.  Needs a lot of work.

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

I agree with your assessment.  Stayed there 30 years ago on a regular basis, then once again for a night a few weeks ago.  It was awful for all the reasons you mentioned.  Wished I had not stayed there, would rather have had the memories from many years ago......

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

I considered statying at the Algonquin in NYC on my past trip..Glad I decided against it and stayed at the Marriott Marquis Instead..

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

Jasper,

You made a good move!  After seeing some of the lovely places you have been, this would have been challenging.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...