7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 8, 2010 11:25 AM by lisata RSS

When an apology is not enough

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

At a recent stay in Franklin MA at the Residence Inn we decided to open the windows in our suite to let some fresh air in.  As we headed to bed the noise from three "gentlemen" wafted to the top floor.  All three were wandering the parking lot, smoking, drinking and chatting loudly, expletives included.  Turning to each other we decided to wait them out--a bad decision.  They stayed outside for an hour, regaling us with their witticisms or lack thereof.

I mentioned this to the front desk clerk when we checked out.  Her comment was "I am really sorry."  She then proceeded to do what she had been doing before I made the comment.

So, is this enough? I think not.  I might have asked what room we were in, what time this occurred, if I could pinpoint the offenders, and offered some compensation for our lack of sleep.  None of that.

What exactly is the protocol for guest comments?  Who can say?  I wish there was one, at least for me at this location and this time.

• Re: When an apology is not enough
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Stepping Stones

The Residence Inn brand promise focuses on "Thrive" which evokes a sense of well-being. Your experience suggests the very opposite.

In other words, RI Franklin failed to deliver upon the brand promise as well as your expectations.

An apology is not enough.  Consider requesting a refund at customer.care@marriott.com

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

arkstfan Silver

Refund?

That hardly seems refund worthy.

At check-out the next day, isn't when you address such an issue. The staff does not have an opportunity to investigate the next day when its not a plumbing/mechanical issue and more importantly did not have an opportunity to correct the issue.

I'm not dimishing the problem, I've encountered similar at other venues and it is real and significant but you cannot expect every problem to come to the attention of staff without some input from the customer. I've changed rooms in the past, and I've even checked out within a couple hours of arrival over unsatisfactory conditions but staff must have a fair shot of learning of the problem before it becomes truly their problem.

Should the clerk have been more interested and tried to get details in order to prevent future occurences? Absolutely.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

sparkles Gold

I can understand your frustration with the loud noise  in the parking lot . Perhaps if you had addressed it with managment at the time it occured then the problem could have been rectified.    If the noise continued after notifying managment I think you might have some sort or recourse.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

So the staff at the RI consisted of one person at midnight--the auditor.  Not a fair fight with three happy warriors in a drinking contest.

I never expected a refund.  That would have been overkill!

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

The hotel should be given the opportunity to deal with a problem when it occurs, not merely told about it at the end of the stay and expected to give a refund.

Maybe one could only see a night auditor, but they should have security on call.

I remember a residence inn where the security guard was the source of the noise...blabbing on his cell phone at 1 am near the windows. 

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I never expected a refund.  That would have been overkill!"

Neither would the RI, but the request would certainly merit the manager's prompt attention and interest in making sure that steps are taken to ensure delivery on the brand promise, "thrive", deliver on guest expectations for same and provisions to make it right for the guest if otherwise.   Only very gifted managers are mind readers.  If issues are not made known when they occur - as many have noted - then the associate(s) cannot act.

Just over a year ago at a Fairfield Inn, the night auditor failed to act on several guest reports about a threatening note posted in the elevator by another guest being robbed and the retailiation that would be attempted.  We reported it before going out to dinner and the note was still there when we returned.  I took a picture of it.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/FrightNightFairfield.jpg

The note suggested that the irate guest would break into cars parked in the lot.  This was extremely unsettling causing sleep disturbances every time we heard a noise.  The associate's inaction was a breach of the Fairfield Inn promise.  An apology was not enough.  For the record, the GM agreed.  I received a total refund plus bonus points.

For more details about this episode reported March 29, 2009, do a search on the key phrase, 'Fright Night at the Fairfield'.

lisata Member

I had a similar experience with the Residence Inn in Poughkeepsie. Reserved 2 two-bedroom suites six months in advance and management gave the rooms away, without as much as a phone call!  Reassigned us four single rooms all over the hotel on separate floors, which was a problem because we traveled with children.

All we got was "I'm sorry". When I complained, the manager gave me 3,000 member rewards! Hush "money" I quess! Unacceptable for both rooms to be given away. By the way, 4 rooms (with a $250 penalty for smoking) cost $741.12 in POUGHKEEPSIE!!!!!  The Manager, Jill V., and her buddies do what they want in this place. You might consider another hotel.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...