Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2010 12:17 PM by janiegirl RSS

Fall MegaBonus promotion

shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Marriott recently announced the fall MegaBonus promotion that requires useage of a Visa credit card.  Has anyone ever been able to negotiate something with Marriott that precludes the use of the Visa card?  I just am locked into using a corporate amex and would like to have my cake and eat it too.  thanks in advance.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: Fall MegaBonus promotion
    stevew Platinum

The Fall promotion requiring Visa was quite a shock. It is a surprisingly anti-corporate move from a company that thrives on corporate travelers. As a previous Hilton Diamond member, I was convinced by co-workers to move to Marriott because of the great service they offered corporate travelers. Maybe I was too hasty.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

caldrich Platinum 1 Reviews

+1 on being surprised and disappointed

neuroempire Platinum

yep....they always use Visa at this time of year. They do it year after year. I too have a corp AMEX and it makes me crazy that I miss out on points.

ricoviaje Platinum

Make that another AMEX disgruntled corp traveler that can only count the points in my head...

nicerinperson Platinum

I don't actually mind the promotion being tied to a particular credit card company's card, but what I do mind is the sticker I found on my paper this morning which read:

"Earn up to

TWO FREE NIGHTS

Register by

OCTOBER 31, 2001

MarriottRewards.com/MegaBonus"

I find that kinda misleading. I went online to check the bonus and low and behold it is the last line of the Visa deal. I can see the points being tied to a Visa card, but the nights as well? How come the sticker did not make that clear, and as a result the search for the ellusive reward promised was a waste of my time.

nationwide Platinum

I, too, want to express serious disappointment in the tie to VISA only for MegaBonus points.  Not only do I travel significantly on my Corporate Amex, but that card is also tied to my personal Platinum Amex --- the card I use for EVERYTHING else in my life...  There is simply NO WAY I'm picking up a VISA card, as I have too much invested via multiple AMEXs!  I find this alliance between VISA and Marriott to be annoying at a minimum, and feel Marriott needs to offer an alternative for the discriminating Amex cardholder.  If the bonus point programs don't become card-neutral, at least, I may need to seriously reevaluate my continued loyalty...  This program is supposed to be about Marriott brand loyalty - - - not co-branded loyalty to VISA.  Please listen to your business travelers Marriott - there are a lot of us out here...  Yell 

mystuffinnc Platinum

Hit my 75 during the last promotion and will now build my Hilton points while Marriott stears my business away!

• Re: Fall MegaBonus "promotion"
    buff86soho Platinum

Marriott's promotion is misleading.  The requirement to use Visa is not clear (for example in the FAQ's where they define a "Qualifying Stay").  Even if it were clear, it annoys many of us who are required to use Corporate AMEX (thanks to the other posters who've made this point as well).  Very disappointed in Marriott.  I never felt this way as a Starwood Platinum. 

janiegirl Platinum

I'm also tied to a Corp. AmEX card for business travel and think it's crazy that Marriott does not reward all of us loyal road warriors.  Funny, Marriott doesn't seem to demand  "visa-only" as payment for their hotel rooms (they gladly accept AmEX then ).  Why not do a scaled-down bonus for AmEX users or a bumped-up reward for Visa users during the MegaBonus Promos?  To cut us out entirely, doesn't sit well with me - especially since the credit card I have to use for work is not my decision.

Clearly, I'm not alone.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...