20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2013 3:33 PM by bpelican RSS

Benefits of being Platinum Premier if no exec lounge?

richardeke Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

What are the benefits of being Platinum Premier if hotel does not offer an executive lounge?

I’ve been staying at the same Marriott hotel, most weeks, for over 5 years (512 nights) – if it wasn’t a very good hotel I wouldn’t still be staying there.

However;

·        It does not have an Executive lounge

·        It does not have any upgraded rooms (only difference is some toiletries and a bath robe).

·        Internet access is £15 (approx. $25USD) a night

·        My standard rate includes breakfast

As a Platinum Premier member I do receive 1 free draft beer voucher per night stayed…

The main competing hotel in the same area is a Hyatt which, if I switch my bookings, has offered me immediate promotion to their top rewards level. This gives me access to the executive lounge on day one together with free internet access.

My main reason for continuing to stay at Marriott is the staff – they are so much better than any other major hotel I’ve stayed at.

However, given the offers other hotels are making, like above, I’m beginning to waiver…. With 124 nights already this year I’m already Platinum for next year and 2/3s the way to the year after that….

Come on Marriott – give me a reason not to ‘jump ship’!

• Re: Benefits of being Platinum Premier if no exec lounge?
    pltnmprincess Platinum

Marriott is making a big mistake if they let you get a taste of the Hyatt experience.  I stayed at the Marriott Melbourne a couple of years ago, and due to Marriott's refusal to offer me a corporate rate (after previously agreeing to do so), I booked my next 24 night stay at the Hyatt.  I have to say that I was treated 1000 times better at that Hyatt with no status, than I was at the Marriott with Platinum status.  The staff at the Hyatt was the absolute best, the executive lounge offered much more selection for food and drink, free internet, and they gave me a complimentary upgrade for a few days when my husband arrived for our anniversary.

I am heading back to Melbourne in December and it's not too hard of a decision between accruing points/nights at Marriott (I am already platinum for next year), or receiving the royal treatment at Hyatt.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

joandimi Gold

I was Platinum now Gold and I have jumped ship as well! Trying to use points for a stay is just a hassle when your reward is the worst room in the house. Forget an upgrade that is a joke. And why don't they count a reward night as a stay? I stayed...Try combining a reward and a paid stay. They do not want to combine them and your told you might have to move in the middle of your stay. Too much work....

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

imfromdelaware Gold

Unfortunatley, some Marriott properties give elite membere little or nothing in terms of perks.  I am currently staying in a Marriott where Gold/Platinum members have to pay a highrer room rate in order to access the lounge.  My experience is that other hotel chain loyalty programs treat their members better across all properties.

zukracer Alumni Steward Platinum 4 Reviews

Gotta say even at the PP level, I find I all to often front desk people cannot even acknowledge my status and tonight for example, that as PP I am to be upgraded to the best room available.  After having to ask for the upgrade they managed to give me a suite, which is great but seems we have to "fight" for our status items.  I could easily walk away from plat premier and be platinum easily each year AND get equivilent status from any other chain.  I dont want to do it, most of my co-workers are MR folks but honestly putting 140-160 nights in away from the family should count for more than it seems to with MR.  And as mentioned the whole lack of any type of upgrade, status, etc when using points geeze thats when an upgrade should be a definite not the ground floor closet rooms.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

ImfromDelaware,

Very curious... where are you staying that Gold/Plat members have to pay more to use the CL?

imfromdelaware Gold 3 Reviews

Marriott Denver Tech

How much more do you have to pay to use the CL?  Is there anyone that doesn't pay to use the CL?

I have never heard of this... so very curious! 

Thanks!

frequentvacati Platinum 1 Reviews

Interesting comments. As a lifetime Platinum Elite member I must now say that the room upgrades get curiouser and curiouser each time.

I am now at the Seattle TEAC airport Marriott and while it is a very nice hotel with friendly and helpful staff and a nice indoor pool with a totem pole, my room upgrade again consisted of getting no suite just a beautiful view (just kidding) of the roof and all the ductwork and AC equipment on the roof. You can see the mountains or is it a ridge in the distance if you disregard the roof.

It's been getting curiouser like being Alice in Wonderland. You begin to wonder what happened to the Marriott brand that you thought you knew so well and worked so well in the past when you did get upgrades.

This is the umpteenth time in the last few years I have received a roof view no matter where I stay. Curiouser, neh??

If I am just there to sleep I don't usually complain to the management there but maybe I should.

bpelican Platinum 57 Reviews

I've noticed over the past few years that the desk Associates have very sparse longevity.  This might be contributing to the upgrade problem.  They just don't know the way the system works.  They think a PP HAVING A ROOM ON THE CONCIERGE LEVEL is a great update.  Some properties I visit on a monthly basis and never see the same faces twice at the desk.  Fortunately, I have an intimidating persona and usually get a good upgrade.

When I was in Hilton Head a few years ago, I requested an upgrade upon check in.  They gave me a room overlooking the roof and duct work, opposite the ocean.

Went to the front desk and requested an ocean front room and they did change me... don't know why I had to ask a second time.  Very frustrating!

And, then my new room flooded through the closed patio doors during a storm that went through!!!

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

As mentioned previously in this Insider forum, Platinum Premier simply gives you priority over all other MR elite cardholders in matters such as room blocking, room "upgrades", room view, room size and amenities---- just about everything except price.  (as noted by RichardEke and elsewhere on this Insider Forum, "upgrade" can mean many things depending upon the configuration of the hotel, and does not necessarily mean to a suite.)

Price - on the other hand - is determined by published rates (e.g., rack, AAA, senior, promotional or government) or by your company's negotiated rate (corp rate) with the individual hotel.  In my long experience with Marriott (2000+ lifetime nights stayed), price is not affected by MR elite status.

musictomyears Platinum 6 Reviews

We are wondering the same thing!  We heard today that Marriott

no longer is giving free breakfasts on weekends at any Marriott hotel.  Is this true?  If you decide to switch from Marriott to another brand, will the other brand transfer or put you at the same level as platinum?  Just wondering.  Marriott is really getting cheap and not giving us any reason to just stay with Marriott.

It is true. If the lounge is not open on week ends you are out of luck. No free breakfast then.

ricoviaje Platinum

Hate to say it...loyalista for 7 years yet recent visits across various domestic properties have yeileded not one upgrade. The most recent stay: Riverside Marriott, check in was so pedestrian that I wanted to go find another hotel. I do not remember the last time that the front desk said Mr. Viaje we want to upgrade you! I did stay at the Fairmont in Boston for 5 nights, sadly, they do not fit into my trave lrequirements, but the atttention to my needs was 5 star! I also stayed at the Hyatt Boston and was treated better that a comprable Marriott...

vpplayer Platinum

"It is true. If the lounge is not open on week ends you are out of luck. No free breakfast then."

Not in my experience.  As a Platinum Member, I have yet to be denied when asking for breakfast coupons during a time when the Concierge Lounge is closed, although I have heard that some Marriott's do not give them.  The downside is you have to know to ask for them sometimes.

You have heard correctly. Glad you were able to get them by asking. I asked more than once but never got any. Maybe I should stay where you go.

voltrey Platinum

The JW Marriott is a great hotel and ask for a room on one of the higher floors for the view.  As for restaurants you can't go wrong with K Paul's Louisiana Kitchen.

king563 Platinum

That is correct. I just stayed at JW Marriott at LA Live and the lounge is closed, no breakfast was offered and they would not accept the platium elite buy one entree receive one free for breakfast. We walked out and went somewhere else for breakfast.  No happy hour was offered here either on Friday afternoon's so we went to Fleming's which is a steak house and they had six dollar Martini's and three dollar Beers along with appetizers for half off.  Will Marriott  wake up or continue to lose business?

fromnc Platinum

You basically get a couple of cokes or a beer maybe and some cheese (site dependent)

goalie Platinum

PP benefits are really dwindling, I had a really poor experience at the Park City Marriott that was to me a reflection of a lot of things going wrong with Marriotts loyalty to PP. I am in the process of trying out others and to be honest I am loving some of what I see.

I can not see where the Insiders website has been fixed; form over function. They make you think they care but I am really wondering if they do. To me, the forum is still a mess.

I tried to write in the complaint about Park City Marriott (it was so bad!) and pressed send and I was timed out. Too much effort. I need to be able to comment easily and quickly.

As Marriott aggressively expands, I feel left in the dust. We helped you be successful, we have good ideas and comments, we are loyal but we are being ignored.

Goalie

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...