28 Replies Latest reply: Sep 26, 2012 5:20 PM by jerrycoin RSS

A "Summer Story", A Drive, Munich, Monte Carlo onto Paris!

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Each Summer I try to take someone to Europe with me who has never been or is not sure they will like it.  (After going, they all like it, especially France, Bavaria, and Northern Italy.)

I took my recently retired, (Drivers Ed/Coach) friend to Europe and let him "Do the driving".  These are great ways to use my Marriott points that I accumulate during the year.

Going from Munich, where we have enjoyed the Marriott and Ren. We always go to The Hofbrau House (See Band's picture)for a pleasant meal, a dinner table with complete strangers and fun music.

From there we drive South to Garmisch, where one of my all time Marriott's was, (but is no longer a Marriott), The Rierssee Ren. on the back of the Zuggspitzer(See picture of mountain, from the back of the hotel).  It is really something to go to the top of Germany!

From There the trip takes us West to Lake Constance and a drive down to Switzerland.  People really love their "Truck stops", in Europe and the food is always fantastic.  We cross over the Alps at the Julian Pass, and enjoy a stop in St. Mortitz, CH where we always have lunch at Bobby's Pool Hall.  Then the "Downhill" fun begins as we go to Lake Como from there.

Pasta in my favorite location, Chiavenna Italy, the Best Western Hotel, (No Marriott in town) is delightful and inexpensive.  Then the full days drive to Monte Carlo.

The drive along the Med. Coast is really memorable.  We stop in The Princess Margarite just East of Monte Carlo and enjoy a fantastic lunch and view.

Monte Carlo, and The Marriott there is very special, the view, the food, and the cleanliness of the city are special. The garage floor at the Marriott is so  very clean, the McDonald's close by even cooks to order!

My friend's favorite movie is "To Catch a Thief" with Cary Grant.  After we pay our respects to the grave of Grace Kelly, we retrace the movie and go to St. Tropaiz.  Have a nice lunch and drive to Paris.

The drive is wonderful and the crossing of the "Tallest Bridge" in the world in most interesting(See picture of bridge at Mallue).  The Loire Valley, is special, and again we stop in one of my favorite towns, Sancerre, France.  The wine from the town was supposed to be the favorite of Earnest Hemingway, and is very good.  The town is again special!

We then drive to the new Marriott property at Euro Disney and really enjoy a wonderful place for the evening!  This is where we SHOULD have got rid of the Hertz car, but I opted to drive it to La Defense in Paris (Do Not make that mistake, there is a direct train that will take you there from Disney in easily HALF the time!).

The La Defense REN. has again, (See Picture with GM, Mr. Libert)always been an easy place to "Headquarter", and get around Paris.  On Memorial Day, I had a chance to pay my respects, along with a large contingent of The VFW to the American part of the Cemetery next door to the hotel.

The drive was smooth, the Marriott's were outstanding!  Thanks for the memories!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
France
Garmisch, Germany
Paris, France Renaissance Hotels
Zugspitze, Germany
  • Re: A "Summer Story", A Drive, Munich, Monte Carlo onto Paris!
    theolejudge Gold 4 Reviews

Super adventure and a welcome break form reading court transcript--great pictures; you and the Professor write great accounts of your travels

Bill

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Jerry,
    What a wonderful story and pictures!  I, too, am so disappointed that there are few Marriotts, especially in France outside of Paris and Italy.  I loved the picture of the bridge -- I've never been there but really want to go.  I'll be in Avignon in two weeks.  About how far is it?

Best, ProfChiara

Judge,

You know how to make a guy's day!

The Professor and some of the other's are so good at writing, the get a person thinking!  Last week I went over 1500 nights spent with Marriott and HOPE no end in sight.

I am in Quincy, Il Fairfield this week, and it will get a "Little" more exciting next month when I will be at the London County Hall.

Will keep you posted!  Now I have to get my maps out to answer the Professor's question!

Professor,

If you look on the map about 150 km West of Avignon, you will see Millau.  You could drive thru Montpeilier, and the drive up to the bridge.

You will enjoy the special view!

Have a good trip and stay in touch.

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

Hi Jerry,

Great story and wonderful pics!  Thanks!

Love the mountain photo!  Have to say, just the photo of the bridge, freaks me out!!!  A bit afraid of heights... I've no idea how I'm going to get over the bridge at Le Havre!

Thanks again and very glad you had a wonderful trip!

New Hilton,

The bridge is really not that bad!  However, maybe it is age, but I really now have trouble in the Alps!  I cannot ride anymore and sit next to the steep drops in the car.  I had to put a coat over my head on the last trip!

New Hilton, keep us informed of your travel tales!

Photo's- Neuschwanstein first two!

Second two, The Zugspitzer, Germany's highest point!  The Alps are in the view.

Professor and New Hilton,

Here are a few more pictures of the area!

Professor,you may want to take a day or two and go to the bridge and Sancerre.  You would enjoy a great glass of "Vin Blanc"!

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

ROFL, Jerry!  I'm with you... I'd probably be crouching on the floor of the car!!! 

Why on earth do they need to make the bridge at Le Havre so steep.... I'm going to driving alone and this is going to completely freak me out!  Better have a glass of cider or two before undertaking it!  Yell

Or, maybe the stronger Calvados!!! 

I have issues with the lower level of the Verrazano Narrows here in NYC!

Normandy Bridge - Le Havre / Honfleur

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Jerry, thanks for the wonderful travel story.  In my overseas days I was in Garmisch and other Bavarian locations a lot, normally traveling alone on a tourist passport (long story not repeatable here) for security reasons.

I stayed at the Garmischer-hof there and was able to blend in quite nicely with the locals of all nations enjoying the Zugspitz and the alpine air. The proprietress was right out of central casting for a typical German Frau. She put up with my comings and goings at all hours with a mere nod of her blonde haired head.

I can remember the Milchkühe, the local dairy cows with their immense bells wandering home at night through the village streets.  For many, the cows added heat to the basement of their homes, as it were.

Your post brought back fond memories of old times, old friends and most importantly, the beauty of Bavaria!

Danke!

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Dear Jerry,

Phenomenal story and photos!  Though I prefer vin rouge to vin blanc, I really wouldn't mind either.  But I also like the idea of Calvados!

Cheers, ProfChiara

Professor,

Yes, I too prefer Vin Rouge!  I tell people it's for "Medical reason", it's Doctor's orders to "Keep my cholesterol count down"!  People always get a kick out of that and laugh when I tell them my Dr. (Who is also my neighbor) appreciates it when they help support my healthy diet

By the way, when you are in Avignon, you may want to take a day trip to Marseille.  The port area is really nice and it is a very interesting place as well.

Here's a couple more "Bridge pictures" for you!  The last picture is a great spot to casually dine if you do make it to Sancerre.  The do serve vin rouge.

Happy travels!

New Hilton,

I agree with you!

Going across the Ver. Bridge I got in the wrong lane and was trying to get to the Marriott at JFK.  Can you imagine how long it took me to drive there on a Friday night at 5 PM and I had to go thru town.

I have never been to La Harve so you had better enjoy your "Apple cider" before getting on that bridge.

Stepping,

Thanks so much for your kind note!

I spent a number of Christmas days in Garmisch when the Ren. was there and it was really special.  Everyone I have taken there was taken by the beauty of the area.

Here are a couple of photo's ("Elsie" is one you will like!) that will bring back some fond memories for you as well.  These are in/around Garmisch and the Zugspitzer.  I am really sad that Marriott lost this property, it was really a fantastic place to stay.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Great trip, Jerry!  Like SS, I too frequented Southern FRG, prior to 1989, and always left there with a fully belly of beer and schnitzel.  While stationed at the Hague, my wife and I took a trip to Garmisch and stayed at the General Patton Hotel which was then part of thecArmed Forces Rec Center.  That trip would have preceeded my time in MR by several years, thus I wasn't aware of the Ren. in that area.  Enjoyed your write-up and photos.  Thanks.

NU,

Thanks for the contribution!

I love to go to "Misty's in Lincoln", and wish the NU the best.

I enjoy you stories so keep us in touch.

RE, Jerry

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

Jerry,

Last night I took the plunge and purchased tickets to Germany (Garmisch) for Christmas 2012, so now am cruising through Garmisch posts to see if I can find some specific recommendations and tips for attractions and restaurants, etc. in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Oberammergau.  In the process, I came across this post, which I enjoyed.

Just fyi, as of my visit this past June, M. Libert is still the GM of the Ren. La Def.  He is a gentleman, and the hotel is top notch.

pluto77,

Congratulations on a good choice of places to go!

I am planning to be there from Dec 1-8th and will share with you the latest.  Since there are no Marriott properties in the area I am staying at this place:

Have not stayed there before but it is highly rated.  Will have much more for you in the future.

THANK YOU FOR VISITING HOTEL REINDL´S PARTENKIRCHNER HOF IN GARMISCH-PARTENKIRCHEN!

ONLINE BOOKING

Arrival:Select a date
      Departure:Select a date
      Rooms:

Room AdultChildren
      until 9 years

Location Brand Hotel
      Garmisch, Germany

Jerry, I look forward to hearing about your visit as well as the property, once you have returned.  Let me say in well in advance, just in case it gets away from me before you travel, best wishes for pleasant and memorable trip!

pluto,

Will give you a full report with more pictures.  It is just a shame that there are no Marriott's in the Garmisch area.  I am planning to take the train into Munich for a day, but otherwise, will pick up a car at the Munich Airport.  Will spend the last night at The Ren., Munich Airport prior to an early morning flight.

pluto, don't forget to check out:DSCN0131_0105.jpg

This place, I could not get into this place, but it is really a lovely place, just not a Renaissance any longer.  Also, don't forget about checking on the number of people you can get into any hotel you choose.  Three people or more can be difficult.

Jerry,

We have our lodging arranged for the trip, thankfully.  I am wondering, is this Riesserssee property that you have pictured here the one that is just a little bit outside of the town?

pluto,

Yes, it is on the backside of the Zugspitser, up on a beautiful hill and is a wonderful place to stay.  Not far from the US Army location.  It sits on a gorgeous lake.  Here's a view of the back yard of the hotel.  You may want to dine or have a drink there, it is very nice, but not expensive.  The have a nice walking trail around the lake.DSCN0132_0106.jpg

Ah, I think we are on the same page then (we are thinking of the same place).  Nice to know about the trail around the lake.  Sounds like something very enjoyable to do in the Not-Winter seasons.  We are staying at the Edelweiss Army Resort.  Beautiful photo!  And thanks for the info.

pluto,

You will have a good time!

Don't forget to go downtown, they have in the past blocked off main street and had a wonderful entertainment group around Christmas.

I appreciate reading about these things (ie. Main Street blocked off), it gives me some specific things to look forward to and get excited about.  At this time I really don't know what to expect or do, but here before too long, I will hunker down and get to the business of research to prepare us for a wonderful time.

pluto,

This is a really "Hot spot", around Christmas.  The traffic coming from Munich is heavy and you will be glad you are staying in Garmisch.  Am going to check out December activities and let you know.

HPIM0157.JPG

Pictures of The cable car station at The Zugspitser.

HPIM0207.JPG

Plaque at The Zugspitzer!

HPIM0198.JPG

A good place to have a snack, at the tip of The Zugspizer.

HPIM0194.JPG

You will enjoy being on the top of The German Alps!

Location Brand Hotel
                      Zugspitze, Germany

Pluto,

Good to hear Mr. Libert is still GM at La Defense Ren. He and the staff there have always treated my loved ones and me very special.

FH050035.jpg

Pluto, can you tell which two are Americans and who is the GM?

Location Brand Hotel
      Paris, France Renaissance Hotels