9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2014 7:28 AM by erc RSS

kayjbee Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I enjoy taking little weekend trips to Portland Oregon. I usally like to stay at the Residence Inn. For the last three "staycations" I have not been able to use my points in order to reserve a room or two, for that matter. I am told that there is only a few rooms availible for Reward members. So my question is, what good is having 200k + points for rooms that you can never get to use them.I have been a Platinum member for the last four years and have aready stayed 92 nights this year already. I have been faithful to your Hotel and in return, all I am starting to hear is "Sorry Sir, out of my control". If the the hotel was full, I would understand, but to turn away your highest level members when you have empty rooms is, in my opionion, poor business.Theres a reason most of us stay with a particular brand of hotels, if it's Marriotts trend to limit and deny their members stays that they have earned, then maybe I need to change brands.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Points
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

KjBee

Hi.  your post is very interesting, and I am sure many of us insiders feel your pain.  However, if your goal is to contact Marriott corporate regading this issue, you would be best served sending your concern to Marriott customer service.  I do not believe they monitor this site for complaints.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

frequentvacati Platinum 1 Reviews

Maybe if they don't monitor this site for complaints, or for concerns or for suggestions or for information about how their best customers feel, they should start. I for one have just started using this site and find it full of very lucid discussions of problems as well as full of helpful hints for various issues and properties and locations. Even after 40 years at Marriott properties around the world I am amazed at how much there is to keep learning about the Marriott system. If they are not monitoring these comments they certainly should start.

drewtipton Gold

I'm having the same problem trying to book in San Francisco... they have plenty of rooms available, but no reward rooms... what happened to "no blackout dates"?  If they have rooms available, particularly for platinums, shouldn't they be available for points redemptions?

mijoh1 Platinum

I too am feeling the pain of this complaint. Being platinum used to mean that as long as you made your reservation within 48 hours, you got in NO MATTER WHAT. Points, cash, whatever. Now, it's paying customers only many times, and always in the places we want to go for vacation.  That NEVER used to happen. How stupid. I am also platinum with Sheraton and they still treat their platinum members like they deserve. They do not EVER black you out when using points, even in their most swanky places. In these tough times, Marriott had better recognize.

nicerinperson Platinum

I have found this frustrating as well. On a recent trip the hotel I wanted was available for a reward stay and then when I went to book the trip a few days later it was unavailable. I called the Platinum line and they told me the room allocation for reward stays had been reached and no more were available. While I was treated very well at the other property, I was, and still am, slightly dissapointed I was not able to stay where I desired when rooms were available.

richardeke Platinum

I too have found the same problem booking rooms with points.

However, I have a little trick, if you don't mind playing a little 'brinkmanship':

Usually, about 24-48 hours before you want to stay, the hotels will release more 'reward nights' if they have failed to sell the rooms to paying customers.

So, keep checking back on the web site, right up until you want to stay and you may get lucky.  I've used this many times over the last few years and only failed to get the reservation I wanted once.

tjcnewyork Platinum

" they told me the room allocation for reward stays had been reached and no more were available."

Recognizing that some hotels are doing this, Marriott has commissioned an internal audit team (which I call the Blackout Police) to monitor and out these non-complicit hotels.  Taking the liberty of quoting the reply by Marriott Concierge here at Insiders, here's an extract from an earlier post:

"One contributor states that Marriott has a team of internal auditors monitoring hotel compliance with the No Blackout Dates policy.  The response by Marriott Concierge on Flyertalk provides recourse:

"Redemption room availability is controlled through our global reservations system to ensure hotels comply with the No Blackout Date policy. If you think a hotel is in violation , you can email MRW.Redemption.Questions@Marriott.com with the specific hotel and dates in question. If the hotel is not in compliance, we will ensure they come back into compliance, book your reservation, and award you 5,000 points for the inconvenience. "

tjcnewyork Platinum

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp50/TOWNHOUSEMEDIA/HPIM1283.jpg

"playing a little 'brinkmanship"

Good suggestion.  Last year a new Category 5 Marriott opened on the boardwalk in Ocean City, MD in mid-August (see photo above). Most Marriott hotels are owned and operated by franchisees and this one was opened by a family who owned and operated the best restaurant in Ocean City, The Captain's Table.* The family knocked down the restaurant and hotel and built a new one.

The lion's share of rooms are prime oceanfront or oceanview.  I was planning to getaway for the Labor Day holiday in Annapolis, MD on points and wanted to extend in Ocean City.  Points were not available there, but there were oceanfront rooms available - so I booked it - paid.

Everyday for two weeks I called Platinum reservations who in turn called the hotel.  Less than a week prior, several reservations were cancelled and rooms for redemption opened up! Reservations had no issue switching my paid to points.

'Elbow grease' or 'brinkmanship' - whatever it takes to use points there are ways to realize the objective.

* Ocean City's Hidden Gem - Captain's Table

erc Platinum

If anyone ever needed proof that Categories are based on redemption demand, this lil' beauty has grown in its short lifetime to become one of only 17 Category 9 Marriott properties in the United States. 45,000 points will snag you a city view room in the off season. We eastern shore vacationers are proud of our hometown boy's growth (even more than its siblings downcoast in Virginia Beach which, we are embarrassed to say, are only lowly 7s).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...