16 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2010 11:10 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott VC Points System

2cruizers Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

I am unhappy about the points allocated to my units.  I own three properties and all together I could probably get one week somewhere,   Very unfair.  They should allocate the number of points to necessary to get the week (Red, White, Gold, etc.) in your own unit, but no they say "we have averaged the points"  This is totally wrong.  Think about it.  I pay very high maintenance fees for EACH week and now two or three together may get me one week.   Very costly.   I can go on line a rent a week for allot less.    MVCI owner since 1994.

Marriott get it together.  Be fair to your loyal owners.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott VC Points System
    countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

For legacy ("weeks") owners, the point system does not eliminate the "legacy" system of trading week-for-week --- with no reduction in value.  In fact, many week-for-week trades are in fact upgrades to a more desirable location.

However, when you convert to points for trading less that one-week increments, yes, point values are less.  Which means trading one-week increments is of more value.

I have no problem with it because it recognizes the natural relative cost of processing small quantities vs larger quantities ------- elsewhere recognized as economies of scale.

I am a satisfied MVCI/MORI 5-week owner since 1993.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

superchief1 Platinum

If you read comments on Timeshare User Group and Bill Marriott's Blog, you will see that most MVC are extremely unhappy with the new system. Most of us ( I own 5 weeks) are 'voting with our feet' and not joining thePoints  program. The fewer people that join, the better chance we have of maintaining our ability to have great vacations at our home resorts or trading through Interval. Hopefully, Marriott will get the message.

Marriott had also relied substantially on referrals from happy owners for expanding MVC ownership. I will no longer recommend MVC to friends or family, and I believe other owners feel the same way. I am hopeful MVC will recognize their mistake and make appropriate improvements to the program.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Think about it.  I pay very high maintenance fees for EACH week and now two or three together may get me one week."

Ditto on these comments.  Several weeks ago, an owner with multiple weeks in the timeshare capital of the world, Florida pointed out that ARDA (American Resort Development Association) sponsored legislation that the state passed in July 2009. House Bill 61* was one more piece of the developers strategy to move forward with the points based systems.

What is House Bill 61?  Well, this law makes it legal for timeshare owners to rent their units on a transient basis - like hotels - and ~not~ be liable for remitting taxes on the rental fees or the exchange fees.  How's that for a tax-free revenue engine?  Bottom line, it is in the developers interests to accelerate resort development, sell points and exploit purchased units as rental inventory.

At the core, the VC Points System appears to be a glorified rental program packaged as an 'enhanced' usage option.  Trading 21 legacy nights to get 7 nights on points is questionable thinking.  It is extremely challenging to understand the benefits of this so-called enhancement.  Not only do VC Points cost more to acquire, they deliver less value. In the scenario described, that would be a 66% reduction in actual vacation experience at a very high price.  The economics fail to persuade this legacy owner w/multiple weeks - also since 1994.

No one has factored in the value lost with Marriott Rewards Points.  It is my understanding that a week converted to Vacation Points cannot be exchanged for Marriott Rewards points.   In Marriott's current Hotel Category schema, a night at a Category 1 hotel can be redeemed for 10,000 MR points.  On a PointSavers Reward, 1 night can be very affordable at 7,500 MR points.  For the sake of argument, let's say that your home resort week trades for 110,000 Marriott Rewards points Every Year or Every Other Year.  That's potentially worth 11 nights or more depending upon PointSavers redeemed.  So in the scenario with 3 legacy weeks @ 110,000 points per week that would be 330,000 points which could be redeemed for up to 33 nights.

From this vantage, converting 3 legacy weeks or 33 nights on PointSavers to VC points and only get 7 nights, is a 79% reduction in value.  Assuming an average maintenance fee of $1200 x 3 units that would be $3600.  If one can get 33 nights trading MR points for that amount, that's a tremendous value of only $109 per night in a MR hotel.

The other aspect of this discussion is the EQN or Elite Qualifying Nights.  So far, it is unknown if nights spent on Vacation Points are eligible for EQN.  Spending 21 nights at your home resorts definitely are eligible for 21 Elite nights.  Using ShortStay Exhanges through II, one can easily convert 7 nights to 2 ShortStays at 6 nights each to a total of 12 nights.  If all 3 weeks are exchanged for ShortStays at Marriott, then one can accrue up to 36 eligible Elite nights.  Combined with business nights, getting to Gold Elite or Platinum Elite gets more benefits especially at the Platinum Elite level with 50% bonus points on qualifying revenue.  Needless to say, these bonus points which result from Elite status can be redeemed for even more free nights.

Factoring in these scenarios, converting legacy nights to VC points seems like a very poor option for sure.

* Florida Legislature Passes Bill to Ensure Timeshare Exchange Not Subject to Tax

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Since the new points program was introduced I've been watching these threads carefully.

I know it's way too early but there is one thing that I want to know. Are those owners that are enrolled in the program able to get the destination of their choice easier than those that go through an exchange?

I sent a message to MVCI asking if there is any way for me to view the availability of inventory using the new points system and was told there wasn't and that a phone call would need to be made to MVCI. This really turned me off because I would be more inclined to join if I knew that I stood a better chance of getting the property that I want, when I wanted it, but alas there's no way of knowing.

So I think the question now is, how will the points program impact us deeded owners when it comes time to do an exchange. Will the number of villas made available to Interval dwindle?

tjcnewyork Platinum

"So I think the question now is, how will the points program impact us deeded owners when it comes time to do an exchange. Will the number of villas made available to Interval dwindle?"

GREAT QUESTION!

Per an update to Newport Coast Villas thread, my upcoming stay triggered a call from pre-arrival services.  The skinny is that the rep provided incorrect information.  I escalated and spoke to the rep's superior, a senior marketing manager at Marriott Vacation Club.

I asked a similar question, "Will Marriott control legacy weeks deposited with Interval International and redirect inventory to satisfy reservations for Vacation Points?  Will Marriott legacy owners have less weeks available to them for exchange?"

The senior marketing manager stated that, "non-Marriott timeshare owners trying to exchange into a Marriott resort will have very limited availability.  II requests by legacy Marriott owners for Marriott resorts will supercede non-Marriott owner requests. Over time, non-Marriott owners will likely not have access to Marriott inventory deposited with II."

A follow-up question, "If a legacy Marriott owner and a Vacation points owner are requesting the same week at Palm Desert, which owner has priority?"  The senior marketing manager answered that, "there are no changes.  The requests are filled by FIFO.  Whoever deposited their 'week' first is likely to book what is available first." Also, "under Vacation Points, it's unlikely that VP owners would request a whole week; the program is designed for stays shorter than 7 nights."

What I neglected to ask is, "What resorts are excluded from the Vacation Points program?"  But, that's a whole other conversation.

fishmandave Platinum

If this new points system does not give me what I bought originally then it should be required that Marriott repurchase Timeshares of all owners who are now dissatisfied with the changes.  If I can not exchange my week any more then the program would be deemed useless to members.  Marriott needs to buy my week back and anyone who feels the same.  Time to talk with the authorities about getting what we deserve.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Marriott needs to buy my week back and anyone who feels the same."

Regrets, not going to happen. Straight up, Marriott stopped accepting units for resale.

My wife and I attended a sales preview recently giving us a first-hand opportunity to ask questions about how the new VC program works, the benefits to legacy MVC owners and the long term impact that vacation points will have on Marriott inventory available for exchange through Interval International.

Quoting the sales person, as legacy owners enroll their legacy weeks to vacation points, "the inventory available for exchange through II will diminish significantly."  He insinuated that if we did not enroll our weeks and buy the recommended minimum of 1000 vacation points at $9.20 per point plus $.40 per point in annual maintenance fees, we would find it extremely challenging to exchange to several resorts including but not limited to Lakeshore Reserve, Marco Island, Maui Sequel, Oceana Palms and Grande Vista.  He stated that unsold weeks at these properties are under Marriott's control and under the 'land trust'.

In one scenario, he outlined a 5 night itinerary from Sunday to Thursday.  The owner wanted to book Maui Sequel for that period; however, only Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday nights were available under 'legacy' time and Tuesday was only available through the 'land trust'.  To protect yourself, he advised, consider purchasing vacation points.

What was so surprising about this new approach is use of the veiled threat to incent prospects to buy VC points.

"Time to talk with the authorities about getting what we deserve."

Would the authorities really care about what MVC owners "deserve"? By that do you mean, would the authorities be interested in breach of contract?

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

Wow!  Reflecting back on the couple of times I've sat (suffered) thru the pitch to buy in to the MVCI family, I can't help but think how fortunate I am now that I didn't fall for it.  This latest change by Marriott ought to be great for word-of-mouth advertising.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Reflecting back on the couple of times I've sat (suffered) thru the pitch to buy in to the MVCI family, I can't help but think how fortunate I am now that I didn't fall for it.  This latest change by Marriott ought to be great for word-of-mouth advertising."

NUHusker,

Interesting you say that and apologies in advance for the length of this post.

The success of Marriott Vacation Club over it's 25 year history relied very heavily upon word-of-mouth and what I like to call, the 'power of the referral'.  This is most evident in MVCI's Friends & Family program.  If someone you refer purchases a Marriott timeshare, the referring owner receives upwards of 40,000 Marriott Rewards points.  If you are already are an owner and purchase another week, then MVCI handled that as a self-referral which earned the 40,000 points.  As a highly-satisfied MVC owner, I had no reservations when referring Marriott to a friend or family member.  Marriott always delivered upon the promise and expectations of providing a 'home away from home' whether we stayed at our home resort or exchanged at another Marriott resort.

During the recent sales preview, the sales executive explained that MVCI had surveyed and "received feedback from 75,000 owners" compelling them to change the ground rules.  The phrase, 'home away from home' was not mentioned once during the 3 hour discussion.  Marriott sales recommends that owners buy a minimum of 1000 points at $9.20 a point with Marriott financing at 13% plus $.40 per point annual maintenance fees. (The pricing changes to $9.65 a point in early October)  Amazingly, the script and the pitch is very different.

What does 1,000 Vacation Points buy?  How about a couple of nights?  The inventory is chopped up into nights, number of bedrooms, seasons, and views and converted to vacation points.  For example;  5 nights at Waohai on Kauai with an ISLAND view in a 2 bedroom 2 bath requires 2,625 Vacation Points. At $9.20 per point plus $.40 per point Annual Maintenance Fees, that's $24,159 plus $1050 annually for maintenance.

Instead of a home resort, the owner has ownership in a 'land trust'.  The 'land trust' includes the unsold inventory at various resorts.  If a current owner does not buy vacation points then exchanging into any of these resorts will be difficult if not impossible since Marriott controls the inventory.

According to the sales executive, the new business model responds to new trends in leisure travel. For example, on an extended family summer road trip from the northeast, a vacationing family might want to spend 2 nights at Marriott's Fairway Villas near Atlantic City, another 2 nights in Marriott's Ford Colony in Williamsburg, 3 nights at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas on Myrtle Beach and 5 nights at Marriott's Grande Vista in Orlando.  Resort-hopping in increments of less than 7-nights is not possible under the legacy model.

My wife and I walked away thinking, 'different strokes for different folks' and politely said, "Thanks, but no thanks." Currently, we exchange our timeshares for other Marriott resorts and every other year for a significant number of Marriott Rewards points.  This approach replenishes the bank for extended road trips at various Marriott brands.  With PointSavers, it's even more cost-effective.  This works for us.

The important point that seems to be missed is that we are less likely to refer a program we haven't experienced.  The sales executive was clueless on this point, and nearly held out a tin cup for referrals.  In all honesty, the expectation that we would give him trusted contacts was off-putting.

So off-putting that we signed up for tour of the Disney Vacation Club when we visited Disney's Grand Floridian Resort near the Magic Kingdom.  (Disney is also selling deeded points-based timeshare starting with 100 points at $12,000.)  During the tour, we learned that Disney pulled out of Interval International a year ago and entered into agreement with the Wyndham-owned RCI.

Interval International is the exchange company that Marriott uses to handle exchange transactions.  As a veiled threat, the Marriott sales executives advised that Marriott's inventory in II will diminish and it will be difficult to exchange to another Marriott resort as owners convert to Vacation Points.  This was countered  by Interval representatives.  It is so frustrating not being able to distinguish fact from fiction - there is so much misinformation.

Marriott's decision to discontinue the sale of weeks-based ownership linked to a home resort and enter the world of selling vacation points seriously undermines the brand's integrity and credibility, IMO.  My wife and I continue to remind ourselves that we carefully researched the legal disclosures.  Our legacy timeshare transactions are deeded in the states where we purchased and protected under law.

Our attitude is 'wait and see' anticipating that Marriott Vacation Club will continue to deliver upon our expectations. With very minor exception, our expectations were met at Marriott's Cypress Harbour but greatly exceeded during our stay at Marriott's Sabal Palms.  For several owners we met at these resorts, the waters appear murky.  Most owners are forthright, but there are a few who expressed reluctance to discuss their views fearing some type of reprisal.  After all, Marriott does control ~all~ of the inventory.

That said, the cynicism, "This latest change by Marriott ought to be great for word-of-mouth advertising" is very much on target.

parisien Member

just one question

for  no marriott  owner  it  is  more easy to get a exchange

with  interval international  for a marriott  brand?

I dont neet points, only  149 for  europe , and asie 174

euros, for the exchange  fee.   nathing more.

how it works with  the  point systeme , for  make a exchange

with  interval.     thank you for a answer.

nuhusker Platinum 2 Reviews

TJC -- Thanks.  Very informative answer.  The whole issue is way too complicated for me to take the time to understand since I don't have a vested interest.  You, on the other hand, are a multi-week owner and have been for some time now, and express a sentiment similar to mine.  Marriott has some very nice time share units and if I choose to stay there I can either pay with cash or points.  That's the kind of flexibility that works for me.  By the way, I don't know how long this program change has been in the works, but we attended a presentation at the new project next to the JW in Orlando (I can't remember the name of it, but you've mentioned it before) a year ago and the sales manager, who did our presentation because of his Iowa connection (I guess he thought that would make a difference -- little did he know we are HUGE Husker FANS!) did not mention any purchase option other than the traditional.  Not a word about the points program or any upcoming change.  I can't think of a way (not here anyway) to describe what my reaction would have been if we'd spent $$$$$ a year ago only to find out about this highly unpopular program change recently.  Again, thanks for the explanation.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"Not a word about the points program or any upcoming change.  I can't think of a way (not here anyway) to describe what my reaction would have been if we'd spent $$$$$ a year ago only to find out about this highly unpopular program change recently."

NuHusker,

The program was introduced June 20, 2010 and those who had purchased just prior to that had no clue either.  This is documented in several places including Marriott on the Move.

In general, it's been my experience that the MVC sales team is a very knowledgeable and experienced group.  Can you imagine the hit that many took?  Resort weeks like Lakeshore Reserve (near the JW), Las Vegas, Newport Coast, Marco Island, Aruba and resorts in Hawaii were sold at upwards of $30 and $40K.  A 3 BR at Marco was priced at $60K.  That yields a nice commission.

Now they're selling a product with an entry point at $9,200 that so far has been a challenging sell.  Lower commissions coupled with high turnover rates would not come as a surprise.  As good as someone is at establishing rapport, an experienced owner can easily 'out' an inexperienced salesperson.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"For legacy ("weeks") owners, the point system does not eliminate the "legacy" system of trading week-for-week --- with no reduction in value.  In fact, many week-for-week trades are in fact upgrades to a more desirable location."

To that point, trading 'week-for-week' relies upon several factors including what the owner has deposited with Interval International, what weeks other owners have deposited and the availability.  Several posts at Marriott on the Move speculate that MVC will break up the inventory deposited with Interval for utilization by vacation points.  According to a senior marketing manager, by law Marriott would be in breach.  During a recent sales presentation, the sales executive placed a different spin, that over time as owners convert to vacation points, there will be less inventory deposited with II. Until that occurs, I fully agree that 'week-for-week' trades can realize upgrades to a more desirable resort.

Related to realizing upgrades, some perceive trading week-for-week from Marriott to Disney as highly desirable.  So, if you own a week at Marriott's Ford Colony in Williamsburg, VA and wanted to trade a week into a Disney resort in Orlando it could realize a clear upgrade - as there are that many more attractions there.   Well, now that Disney has pulled out of Interval International and joined the ranks of Wyndham's RCI, that capability has shriveled up so that some MVC owners may feel shortchanged of that added-value.

countryjim Platinum 1 Reviews

From my years of management experience, I believe any change of the magnitude and complexity of super-imposing the new "Destinations" points system on top of the "legacy" week-by-week ownership system will have unintended in addition to intended consequences.

Marriott believes it knows the intended consequences.  The trick will be identifying and dealing with the unintended consequences, some of which may not be known for months, perhaps years.

Some of this discussion appears to be from folks who have been down a few management roads before --- thus able to render reasonable projections of the possible roads down which a management plan may go in the future.  It would be normal for some consequences to be predicted while some will be surprise "news bulletins". 

How all the consequences of "Destinations" unfold down the road will depend upon the accuracy of the data, the ability of managment to interpret the data (which probably resulted in the "Destinations" program in the first place), and - to some extent - management's gift of prophecy.

For me, the Destinations plan has potential to bring flexibility that many owners in these threads and elsewhere have requested.  How future trading - points and/or weeks - will be impacted will not be fully known until the plan plays out for at least a few years.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"the Destinations plan has potential to bring flexibility that many owners in these threads and elsewhere have requested. "

IMHO, Marriott Vacation Club threw out the baby with the bathwater. Owner comments at Marriott on the Move make that very evident. By discontinuing the sale of weeks-based ownership, Marriott leveled the playing field and at the same time reduced flexibility by eliminating the choice to own a week at a home resort.

"The trick will be identifying and dealing with the unintended consequences, some of which may not be known for months, perhaps years."

When Marriott announced 'Free Internet' as a benefit to Gold and Platinum Elite, the plan resonated with accolades immediately.  Similarly, Marriott's integration of Ritz-Carlton into Marriott Rewards was warmly received as 'about time'.  Is the response to the Destination Program on a parallel track to these examples?

Marriott could have retained selling weeks-based ownership in conjunction with Destination Points and expanded the available check-in/check-out dates at many if not all resorts on a trial basis.  This could have been accomplished on a resort-by-resort basis by asking owners to vote for or against.  Owners at some resorts may adopt 7-day check-in (Palm Desert) and owners at other resorts might keep check-in days the same (Custom House).

While such a process would take months and a couple of years, it's a process that owners are familiar with.  In the meantime, Marriott could work out the kinks of the Destination Program, obtain the state and legal registrations required to make the program truly successful.  Based upon a recent sales preview experience, the organization is unprepared.

We can be certain that one of the intended consequences is sales revenue and positive cashflow.  Marriott's 3rd Qtr financial results due on October 7 may give us a clue if that outcome is realized or not.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"surprise "news bulletins"

In reading through Marriott on the Move and volumes of feedback that the owners have written, several themes | news bulletins emerge.  Some have been touched on before, but are worth re-examination from the standpoint of Marriott Vacation Club and Marriott International preparedness, "dealing with intended consequences".

"Gone are the days of buying specific weeks at a time.  Now our Owners can check in and check out any day they choose, 365 days a year.  They can select any size villa – a studio or a 1-, 2-, or 3-bedroom unit, and can bank, borrow or transfer their points for additional flexibility and stays.  There are many more great benefits for Owners as a part of the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations program. " Marriott on the Move

Surprise News Bulletin # 1: Cash-out Remaining Value on Secondary Market is likely a path that a high percentage of owners have already taken to the June 20 launch.  While there are no published figures, the registration list for individual resorts provide a clue.

This is best illustrated by,  "I am so upset with what your timeshare division has done that I'd put up all six of my Marriott timeshares for sale on Ebay if they would sell for just a third of what I paid direct to you for them." Marriott on the Move, 06/28/2010 at 02:33 PM

Since Destination Points relies heavily upon available inventory, it's likely that "cash-out remaining value" is an intended consequence.  With the registration lists overflowing and Resales over-taxed, multiple-week owners are forced to dispose of units on the secondary market where Marriott can buy the inventory through a third party at distressed prices.  Since June 20, my wife and I have received dozens of unsolicited calls from 3rd parties asking if we are interested in selling. How did they get our information?

Surprise News Bulletin # 2. Lost Referrals.  For years, Marriott Vacation Club relied upon satisfied Marriott business travelers combined with glowing owner testimony as a mechanism to attract new buyers.  The discontinuation of weeks-based ownership broke this powerful cycle.

Delivery on the promise and give owners added-value yields referrals; the presumption of flexibility delivers this:  "I have had a lengthy and enjoyable relationship with Marriott.  I joined the Rewards program nearly 20 years ago and have influenced other people to join.  Normally I write letters of praise, which may be noted somewhere in my account.  I have filled out every survey that your company has sent me over the years because I think feedback is important.  I own two 2-bdr units in Maui, one that is an ocean front villa in one of the new buildings that was just recently purchased. I never would have bought the second unit had I been told about the points program. One of the key selling points was the lock-off option, which is now devalued. I also resent that I learned about the new program via Timeshare Users Group (TUG) instead of Mariiott itself. I want to sell both units but have heard that resale values will plunge The dissatisfaction I feel negates my positive impression that I've had of Marriott for decades. My files should show that I have recommended others to attend the Vacation Club presentation and they have purchased.  When friends and family have traveled, not only have I suggested that they stay at your hotels, I often reserve the rooms for them myself. However, I cannot, in good conscience, give glowing references about Marriott at the moment." Marriott on the Move, 06/28/2010 at 10:10 PM

The sentiment above is repeated over and over.  Dissatisfaction, lost confidence in Marriott and displaced trust became contagious post-June 20th; completely reversing the positive owner testimony that accompanied weeks-based vacation ownership. Which category does this go in, intended or not?

Surprise News Bulletin # 3. Lost Revenue for Lodging.  During a recent sales preview, the sales executive opened by connecting the dots between Marriott Rewards and Marriott's expansive collection of hotels.  Realizing that he was speaking with a Platinum Elite member, he volunteered that, "Marriott did not intend for the Destination Program to impact lodging negatively since the organization prides itself on lifelong loyal members."

Along these lines, consider these remarks:  "As a Lifetime Platinum I have had many positive experiences in Marriott properties around the world. As an MVCI owner I am disappointed in Marriot's complete lack of communication regarding this new points system. Now that I have had time to research the options I feel as if I've been betrayed by an old friend. This was a good idea but the implementation has been poor and unfair to your most loyal customers. Now that I am getting closer to retirement I will NOT consider additional Marriott weeks and look much closer at what Hyatt has to offer." Marriott on the Move 06/29/2010 at 06:01 PM

"Please respond to the numerous concerns voiced by your loyal timeshare owners. I am sure the release of this point based system has some merits. Please clarify the following questions: 1. Are you going to allow Marriott timeshare resales to opt-in to the point system  2. Will you honor the trading power of weeks purchased to stay at home resorts without a mark up?  3. Will the same inventory be available for Marriott owners who opt not to switch to the points based system and continue to utilize Interval International?  As a business traveler, Marriott credit card holder and MVCI owner, these changes are enough to drive me to the nearest Hilton." Marriott on the Move 07/06/2010 at 05:59 PM

Surprise News Bulletin # 4.  Contradicting the Power of Loyalty. Like hundreds of thousands of Marriott guests, I'm a charter member of Marriott Rewards.  Since the inception of the Marriott Marquis program, Marriott prided itself on recognizing and rewarding loyal guests.  As expensive as loyalty programs are, Marriott understood the business case for loyalty:  Retaining profitable customers can be more valuable than acquiring new ones.  Marriott Vacation Club has previously published data stating that the average timeshare owner owns 4 weeks.  Assuming an average annual maintenance fee of $1500/week owned, and a traditional bell curve distribution, that's alot of recurring revenue and loyal customers worth retaining, IMO.

To that point:  "We have 3 wks of timeshare with Marriott since 1997, 2 at Beachplace towers in Fl and one Myrtle Beach wk, Our 3 sons each own 3 wks or Marriott properties. We have always sung Marriott praises to anyone who would listen about Marriott Timeshare....It seems that loyalty means nothing in todays market for you...I read about your wonderful vacation with your famiy and your 13 grandkids...great for you don't you think the rest of us would enjoy being treated fairly so we could do the same....I told my sons if Marriott is doing this point thing its for their benefit not ours your customers and this seems to be the truth.....I do not see one comment that you have replied to and 99% of the comments on this page are negative but I don't think you should be still and say nothing. this program is not fair to your customers who have been loyal all these years and made your company what it is today.....I am not sure you have looked into this program yourself but I can tell you it is not a fair program to your loyal customers" Marriott on the Move 07/18/2010 at 02:08 PM

Surprise News Bulletin # 5.  Lost Integrity and Damaged Reputation. 

This post needs no introduction and speaks for itself.  "As with many things, the devil is in the details.

Enrollment contracts for the new Marriott timeshare points program include limitations on voting rights - owners are not allowed to vote against Marriott's interests. Furthermore, Marriott retains the privilege of revaluing the points allocations in the future. These are two big warning signs that make me say "buyer beware".

These two stipulations in the new points program give Marriott increased latitude to manipulate owners while simultaneously limiting their ability to throw up any effective opposition. Such tactics are unworthy of the Marriott name.

The timeshare industry is filled with many sad examples of manipulation and even fraud that should make any potential buyer cautious. With the Marriott brand comes a certain level of trust (even if it is not spelled out in any contract). That trust has been shattered by the introduction of this new points program.

I believe that you are a man of integrity. I can only assume that you have been very poorly served by your lieutenants in this regard.

Perhaps it has been forgotten that a good reputation takes years to build and only minutes to destroy. How sad." Marriott on the Move, 07/03/2010 at 06:57 AM

Yesterday, October 2nd, Disney Vacation Club began booking cruises. The Disney machine is accelerating and advancing. DVC had an hour long special program broadcast on TimeWarnerCable featuring the testimonies of 3 families including parents with young children, a family with teens and grandparents.  Each family laid out why they bought into DVC, their expectations and how the DVC 'product' exceeded them.  It was effective, powerful and very convincing.  This is in very stark contrast to the ineffectiveness of the presentation we recently sat through.  It wasn't completely ineffective, my wife loved the idea of paying a single annual fee in order to book a reservation vs. hundreds more booking through II plus the membership fee.  The infatuation was momentary when she figured out the numbers at $9.20/per point for mortgage and $.40/point annual maintenance fee additional.

In 2011 Disney Vacation Club will open Aulani next door to Marriott's Ko'Olina on Oahu.  MVC owners and guests visiting Oahu will likely have an open ear when the DVC resort is completed.  How Marriott Vacation Club will reach out to regain confidence and retain legacy owner loyalty will be very interesting indeed.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...