4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2010 7:12 PM by clement RSS

New restrictions on using Rewards number

pschnett Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

When I started traveling last year I decided to start staying at Marriott properties because my wife had a Rewards number.  It made sence to use it since my wife already had a few nights on it and we would use the rewards for weekends and vacations together.  I easily reached Platinum last year and have over 112 nights this year.  My wife may stay at most 3-6 nights a year for her job.

As I checked in yesterday, I was told that I could not accumulate points since it was me and not my wife who was checking in.  I never had a problem last year or up to this week.  When I called the rewards desk I was told that the points could not be moved to me and had to start over. No exceptions, nothing could be done.

I can honestly understand not sharing the number with another family member of friend but spouses too.  My wife and I would be the only one that would use the rewards.

At this point I am reassessing whether I should continue with Marriott since I am starting over.  I already have points with Hilton.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
  • Re: New restrictions on using Rewards number
    Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Sorry, but you've violated the terms and conditions, which unfortunately state that you and only you can accumulate points and nights on your account.  You can give someone else the benefit of an award but you can't pool the points.  As far as I know it's always been this way.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

birdog Platinum 8 Reviews

Marriott should at least give a spouse the same status level to start with in order to keep customers wanting to have the ultimate hotel experienc in comparison with other hotel brands.

vpplayer Platinum

I am in the same boat, my wife will occasionally travel without me, but only on leisure.  I will often book redemption stays on my points for familiy members.  I book them in my name, and then call the reservation line and explain my desire to switch the reservation to my family member's name.  I have never once had a problem, and they have always been treated as a platinum guest, including the concierge lounge access and the weekend breakfast vouchers(!), all based on my status, and I'm the hero.

I have never tried this on a paid stay however, but i do know you can add names to a reservation.  Perhaps if you book it in your name, have your spouse added to the reservation, and then call the hotel to say she would be arriving before you, maybe they'd let her check in, all under your reservation and your MR #.  Even better if she has access to your Chase MR Visa.

Has anyone tried doing that?

On a related note:  My wife and daughters are having a girls weekend next friday and staying (paid) at a Marriott in CMH (about an hour away).   I booked it in my name, added her name to the reservation, but I will be driving separately just to check in and grab the breakfast vouchers for them.  Then I am heading back home to avoid estrogen poisoning.  :) 

clement Member

Hi,  I can't understand it either, in the past when my company send me on business trips I would make my own booking and I would normally book the marriott and the points would be accredited to me.  I travel this year on company's business, I choose the marriott but the points was not accredited to my account.  but at the Hyatt it don't matter do pays for the stay you the occupant is rewarded.  so if marriott continues with this policy I guess the Hyatt will be seeing me more often.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...