Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2010 11:34 AM by buffetteer RSS

Marriott Rewards Credit Card Promotion

mssojourner Silver
Currently Being Moderated

I received a promotion from Marriott for one free night at a Category 1-4 Marriott location if I spent $2,000 each month during July, August, and September.  I made 63 transactions in July trying to spend $2,000 during the month.  What a shock I received when I was at my next door neighbor's house and she showed me the promotion she received from Marriott.  (We both have the same level credit card. )  My neighbor's offer was to make 10 purchases or transactions during the months of July, August and September and receive a free nights stay at a level 1 - 4 Marriott.   She was actually checking off how many purchases she made during the month on her credit card, her husband's credit card and her mother's credit card.  She is expecting to earn three free nights.  Oh, did I forget to mention that there was no minimum purchase level necessary on the offer extended to my friend?   She could make 10 purchases of $5 or $10 and earn a free night. 

I find this marketing offer to be highly offensive and unfair.  I have decided to take my business over to Hilton.  What's more when I called Marriott to speak with someone in marketing, I was told that marketing doesn't accept calls.  Well this loyal customer is tired of being reated like a second class citizen.  Hello, Hilton!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Marriott Rewards Credit Card Promotion
    homeatlast Silver

I am participating in a promotion where I charge 30 charges for each month, July, August and September for a free nite  1-4 category.

Yes, I am charging I-tunes just in case to make at least 30. I made 40 for July..working on August..

I hope this helped.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

newhiltonmembr Platinum 3 Reviews

I received the same offer as your friend.... 10 purchases per month during July, August and September.  No minimum purchase amount stated... I could buy 10 packs of gum in 10 different transactions.

So far, I've made my July and August quotas.

Really is not fair... I've no idea how they determine who gets what promo.

Andrew, are you still monitoring these topics?  Can you please fill us in?

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I agree with all your comments, but I am amazed at the variations I see posted in the marketing offerings that are written about in this and other posts. I have made 50 - 70 transactions and spent anywhere from $3000 to $5000 per month on my MR Visa every month this year (and in previous years). I got an offer to spend $6500 PER MONTH for July, Aug and Sept. for a free category 1-4 offering. Really, Marriott....a free night in a category 1-4 offered for $6500 a month and the same free night reward sent to another for 10 transactions of what could be $1 per on the same card?

I do fully understand that marketers target their offers to what is an achievable result for the individual targeted.....but why should I feel good about Marriott when they ask me to spend $6500 a month and someone else possibly as little as $10 to get the same 'prize'? When a forum such as this exists where there are no 'secrets' to the game played, one would think the marketers would be smarter.

vpplayer Platinum

My MR Visa offer was spend $5K a month for the three months to get the free night.  Why so high?  Because I already charge $3-4K a month.

The megabonuses work the same way -- MR tracks how often you travel then tailors the offer to attempt to incentivize you to spend a wee bit more than you already do.  Some times its worth it, sometimes not.

Nothing new here.  I speculate (but don't know) that Hilton does the same sort of thing.

tef6178 Platinum 8 Reviews

I would disagree that the megabonuses work the same way. The megabonus program offers the same guideline to everyone and each person has the opportunity to achieve the same reward based on the exact same guideline everyone else received. The MR Visa promotions offer variations in offers tailored differently for what seems to be each individual selected. Big difference.

Yes, this type of marketing approach is nothing new and I do agree that they want to get each person to reach a little farther with the program offered, but it is apparent from the postings that these types of promotions seem to be more prone to aggravating some of their better clients. Also, most promos of this type aren't sent to people who can discuss any perceived 'inequities' in an open forum as exists here!

Is Marriott engaging in a sensible approach to building business, or would they be better served to 'tweak' their offerings based on the size of the contribution made?

For example...and based on what I have seen: Offer the same MR Visa offer to EVERYONE as follows.....Make ten transactions for a category 2, make $2000 in purchases for a category 4, make $5000 in purchases for a category 5, make $6500 in purchases for a category 6......and so on. The customer then makes the choice what level of reward they want to achieve.....and everyone gets the same promotion with something achievable for each person if they so choose to participate. If Marriott thought the process through, no one could be upset with a promo like this and these 'postings of aggravation' wouldn't exist!

vpplayer Platinum

"I would disagree that the megabonuses work the same way. The megabonus program offers the same guideline to everyone and each person has the opportunity to achieve the same reward based on the exact same guideline everyone else received. The MR Visa promotions offer variations in offers tailored differently for what seems to be each individual selected. Big difference."

They absolutely used to do it, but I am pleased to hear MR has ended the practice of tailored Megabonuses.  I was somewhat annoyed to find out i needed to 20 nights (all or nothing) to get my 25K bonus points, while my co-worker only had to stay 10 nights to get their bonus (which admittedly was less than 25K).  If stayed 10 nights i'd get nothing.  A couple of years ago I was one short of the req'd nights so I found a $60 Fairfield that was close to home and paid for a night.  MR's version of a mileage run LOL

buffetteer Platinum

I'm just disappointed I've never received an offer like any of these.  Maybe I charge too much already. . .

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...