Archived Content:

This content may no longer be relevant and is available for reference only. Visit Archive FAQs for more details.

27 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2013 1:42 PM by jerrycoin RSS

Fee for upgrade at Paris Rive Gauche or Ren La Defense?

wnt2run Platinum
Currently Being Moderated

Planning to book a reward stay with wife and kids at either of these Paris properties. Since they do not have rooms for upgrade for a Plat, there is a fee of 100 EUR at Rive Gauche. Can I refuse this and still use points?

Never heard of this fee for upgrade "because we are out of rooms".

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

• Re: Fee for upgrade at Paris Rive Gauche or Ren La Defense?
    klaus29 Silver

dont take the  paris  rive gauche  for 100 euros  more

i find  same date avaible  in paris rive gauche

i just tried  online, you have many ather  hotels in paris

avaible with  points.

let  me know  please.

good  luck  and  nice holiday  in paris

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

wnt2run Platinum

Thanks Klaus29. If I understand you correct, you could find the same property without having to pay the upgrade fee of  100 EUR?

I am looking at La Defense - using my points. They are asking for 40 EUR for upgrade? Huh?

klaus29 Silver

wnt2run

no you dont have to pay 100 euros

go on marriott.com  book online for  paris   with  i pay with

rewardspoints. i dont know  your  date.   go insight online

and  you will find all hotel avaible  what have rooms with

points in paris.  the  date  below is  paris la defense

the  22/8 TO the  27 of august  5 nights

rooms are avaible  120000 points  the  5 nights.

DONT MAKE RESERVATION WITH PHONE MANY TIME

NATHING AVAIBLE  AND  LIKE THIS  MARRIOTT ASK

YOU 100  EUROS. BOOK ONLY  ONLINE VIA MARRIOTT.COM

please  try  all your  date  and  if you dont  see 

paris  la defense  take a ather hotel in paris where

you can pay only with points  and  not 100 euros more.

book  online

KLAUS

PS. I SEE JUST NOW  YOU SPEEK  FROM UPGRATE

WHEN YOU HAVE BOOKED YOUR  NORMAL ROOM

SEND A MAIL TO THE HOTEL EXPLAINE YOU ARE

PLATIUM  MEMBER  AND ASK FOR A FREE  UPGRATE.

MANY  TIME I GET  LIKE THIS .  DONT  WAIT  THE  DAY

YOU  CHECK  IN.  THEN  IT IS TO LAITE.

GOOD LUCK

profchiara Alumni Steward Silver 3 Reviews

Hi there,

I find this a disturbing trend at many Marriott properties in Europe, and the only time I have ever paid for an upgrade was at the Porte de Monaco because the mountainside rooms are much smaller and the view horrible.  I've been pressured to upgrade before at the London County Hall and some other properties and have always said 'no thanks.'  In every case, I have automatically been upgraded.  The rooms are all very nice at the Rive Gauche in any case, so unless you are looking for an upgrade to a suite, I'd say no and take your chances.  When you show up at the hotel, in all likelihood you will be automatically be upgraded as a Platinum.  Never once has that NOT happened in my many stays.

Best, ProfChiara

Hi Wnt2run,

I emailed separately a response about this fee upgrade issue, which I find outrageous.  The one time they  tacked it onto a reward I booked, I emailed and said why?  And added I wanted it taken off.  I ended up with a suite when I checked in, no extras paid.

That said, if you absolutely NEED a suite, it MIGHT be worthwhile, though like Klaus I doubt it.  La Défense is significantly outside the city, although easily accessible by metro.  While Rive Gauche may not be on the Ile-de-la-Cité, it is actually a great hotel in a good location. I always stay there.  I would suggest calling them (they speak English) and pointing out that you are a Platinum member.  If it really appears that you would have to pay 100 extra euros a night, I would look elsewhere (and tell them so).  That is ridiculous coming from someone who in her grad school days paid a third of that for a hotel room in Paris (admittedly no Marriott!).

ProfChiara

wnt2run Platinum

I will update you all after I call them. I am waiting for an email response I sent out earlier in the day, after reading all your responses.

wnt2run but asked 2 swim today

jerrycoin Alumni Steward Platinum 60 Reviews

I would really look at other hotel options!

The Professor, who I have total respect for, likes RG, I have never stayed there.  I have had great luck at LaDefense, BUT, not with children!

You really will need a place that you can get to easily for your family.  The weather can change, or you just need a place to take a break.  I have seen what happens when you "Over Do It", accidents happen.

Make it easy on yourself!  Again, I like the shopping area at LaDefense and the rooms are great, especially on the week-ends.  But you will be faced with a 15 minute ride on the metro to CE area.

Have a great one!

nycuws10025 Platinum

A visit to Paris - the City of Light.  I wish you a wonderful trip.

I have previously written in Insiders about my experiences at the Marriott Champs Elysees (CE) - still a highlight in my travels

While I acknowledge that you are attempting to book a reward stay, I have also noticed that you are travelling with children (ages not specified).  Thus, I am guessing that this trip is probably more for touristic reasons than for business.

As has already been mentioned in other responses, the Renaissance La Defense, while a beautiful hotel, is not particularly convenient to most of "touristic Paris" - it is OUT THERE.  Yes, at least a 15 minute Metro ride on Ligne 1.  Because La Defense is technically not "in Paris" (it is just outside the city line) there is a surcharge to take a taxi there.

As for the Marriott Rive Gauche, I have not stayed at the hotel, but I do know the area.  On this I must disagree with ProfChiara, because I am interpreting your trip as being for touristic reasons.

I personally feel that Marriott's inclusion of "Rive Gauche" in the name is highly misleading. While technically, the hotel IS on the Rive Gauche (the Left Bank) the Parisians tend to reserve that nomenclature for the areas closer to the river.  MUCH closer to the river.

Although the area is much more convenient than La Defense, the RG is also not particularly close to most of what tourists visiting Paris are going to want to see.  If you need to go back to the room for a rest or to change shoes or for a nap or anything, it is going to take at least an hour out of your visit to get there and back to what you were doing.

Marriott has done a great job of expanding in Paris since my stay at the Marriott CE when it and the Renaissance La Defense were the only Marriott properties in the city.  Alas, anything that is centrally located (the Marriott CE or the new Renaissance Vendome - another misleading name as it is near but not ON the Place Vendome)  are either astronomically priced or you will never find Reward rooms to save your life.

Yes, this is a Marriott site and I will be respectful of that by not mentioning any competitor names.   However, in Paris, if you want to be closer to what's happening, consider other brands or a completely independent owner-operated boutique type hotel - of which Paris has hundreds.

If you must use Marriott Rewards for your stay, I am confident that the RG will make you very comfortable as all Marriott hotels do.  Just please be aware that you will probably be further out than you might be expecting from the name of the hotel.

Bon voyage a Paris!

wnt2run Platinum

Hi NYCUWS10025,

Thanks for the wishes. I hope to have a fun time - Marriott or not. Right now, I am surprised and a little amused at the way the individual properties in Eu are going about this "upgrade fee".

I spoke to the RG reservations "and" emailed them. I am getting the run around about how to avoid this fee.

This is going to be fun. I spoke to the COrp department - here stateside and waiting for response.

Can you PM about the other properties in Paris from your travels? From the looks of it, I dont think MR is monitoring this fine board.

I think I can find other competing properties and equally good amenities with this price range in Sept.

klaus29 Silver

i know here have only one person  what dont wright a

correct englisch. its  me.

i am only 4 years  with marriott  but  believe me or

not  i get all time a upgrate in all hotels  where i stay

in the world  and i never pay one penny for  387 nights.

and all time  like  this

reservation  via  marriott. com

and 3 weeks  bevore my arrival date  one  e mail

to  the  hotel .  not  one  time  dit i dont get a upgrate

with  points  or  payment per  creditcard.

i dont  wright  englich i know

but  the  hotels  anderstand  my  englisch in my mails.

i dont get alltime a suite  no  but alltime a free upgrate

from a  normal room to a bigger room or  a  junior suite

and  1 time in jakarta  where i pay with rewardpoints

i get  a governeur  suite.

now  every  person make how he like.

gretings  from paris

nadine Platinum 1 Reviews

I stayed at Rive Gauche in April using points.    They upgraded me to a two room suite with no fee. The hotel was great and it was a very short walk to the Metro line where you could get to all the tourist spots within minutes.  The lounge at Rive Gauche was also very nice with great breakfast and evening snacks available. Also the minibar in room was free, so soft drinks and water always available in the room.  I found absolutely no faults with this hotel. 

Hi Nadine,

That's the way it always had been for me at the Rive Gauche until my final stay there, which made me post a very bad review for the first time. I love that section of Paris because it's where I lived when doing my dissertation research in the 80s.  I had always been treated very well at the hotel and so chose to stay there multiple times, giving great reviews on tripadvisor.  But when they introduced the fee for a better room on a free stay, I declined.  When I checked in, I not only was not recognized for then PP status, but was treated with the most outrageous rudeness I've ever encounted (I hope that woman is gone from the hotel business). I speak French fluently, and her response was to outspeak me faster than any French person I've ever encountered.  Then she finished it off by saying since I wouldn't pay the extra fee I would have only a small room.  As I have stated before it was pretty much closet sized facing the south industrialized side of Paris. The combination of rudeness and horrible room swore me off forever.  Since I can't afford the C-E on a professor's salary, I have stayed at non-Marriott's since, though I would consider CY Saint-Denis, since that is in a very medieval area.

It may well have changed because of staff.  I wrote a scathing review on tripadvisor and was contacted by the GM for all of France.  I hand wrote a letter in French to the manager of the RG.  I didn't receive an answer, but I hope things have changed.

As to the added fees for 'free stays', I think France has done this more than any other country in the EU.  The only time I ever did -- since this offends not only my wallet but my principles -- was at the Porte de France Monaco when I was not yet confident enough in my then PP status to take a chance they would change my room.  The consequences for not having a Riviera view room there meant looking over a construction site and a teen sports area on the mountain side.  So I paid.

But I never will again.  In fact, I don't stay at Marriotts anymore except for the ones that have treated me superbly but rather at independents who are giving me the same or in many cases much better kinds of service with more included.  Since I'm taking out a few wonderful hotels since they are no longer affordable and I can get a lot more for less, the three hotels I single out for great personal attention, nice little touches that make the stay special, and superb overall treatment are: The Athens Ledra, best of the best (I am treated like someone they know personally each time I come back). This time, since I've dropped to Gold, when Kalliope -- now in Cannes -- took me to my upgraded suite (as always) she apologized it for not being as large as the previous one I had.  That larger one had been too large -- it was about twice the size of the apartment I live in with so many rooms and bathrooms I got lost the first night -- and when I told her so, she said she would note my junior suite preference for my future stays (I will be there twice in August).  Second best is the Ghent Marriott - PSUDad was there recently; and the Brussels Marriott third only because I'm usually not there long. But it has a great location, I have ALWAYS been upgraded to a huge suite and they are super nice.  I did not have the same experience at the Renaissance Brussels which in any case is out of the way.

I've come to a stage of life where earning points matter no more to me: what I want are great hotel stays. Those last three hotels I mentioned fit that and beyond.  For all others, even a few I love, like the Grand Flora, I can simply get much better deals.  I'll be in Rome in June at a hotel in the Borghese Gardens with a pool that costs me about $90 less per night and includes breakfast and free internet.

While all hotels may be cutting benefits and making it harder to redeem, we don't have to take it.  I probably still would if I were a graduate student or assistant professor racking up the points for free stays.  But nowadays I don't need free stays as much as I need GOOD stays.

ProfChiara

psudad Alumni Steward Gold 3 Reviews

I almost always get upgraded on my stays and was disappointed at my stay in Ghent.  I telegraphed my visit to management 9-10 months ahead.  I reached out to them a month or so ahead, getting advice and requesting an upgrade.  When I arrived, not only did I not get an upgraded room, I didn't even have a few of the canal.  I was at least on the 5th floor, looking at roof tops, as opposed to looking in the next building.  We were there five nights and they said they could upgrade me but not for the whole stay, so I would have to move rooms after a few nights.  That did not appeal to us.  Also, since they don't have a lounge, they provided us with vouchers for drinks in the evening - but only one night included a snack, the other 4 were drink only.

Stayed at the Brussels Marriott for two nights and they could not have been more helpful and accommodating.  Upgraded to a junior suite.  The manager (Delphine) and the head concierge (Herve) both came out when I arrived, welcomed me, thanked me for my business, acknowledged my status and offered their assistance.  Once we dropped our bags,freshened up and came back downstairs, Herve gave us a tour of the lounge and then helped us put together a self guided walking itinerary.  Also gave us some great lunch suggestions.  He then took us outside the hotel and got us oriented and on our way.  He made dinner reservations for us, but between having a great lunch and the awesome food in the lounge, we ended up cancelling dinner both nights.

Two very different experiences.  Loved the Ghent Marriott but just didn't feel as welcomed and, though the room we had was nice, was disappointed, after having reached out in advance, to not have been upgraded.  Oh, well.  Hopefully, I will be able to renew my status this year and get upgraded next April during our stay at Rome's Grand Flora!

That is really disappointing to hear about the Ghent Marriott.  I hope this is not part of the larger trend we're seeing overall with Marriotts.  I know Athens still treats me like a queen, so I wouldn't stay anywhere else when I'm in the city, but both Greek trips this summer are to islands (one to Santorini, the other a short cruise, though I have Ledra stays on both ends of the cruise).

pluto77 Alumni Steward Gold 25 Reviews

I just booked a points reservation for London County Hall for 7 nights next year.  On the reservation page, it showed the 7 nights for 240K points option, then below it, it showed a bunch of cash upgrade options, the least expensive being "Junior Suite on Executive level with view of Thames and Big Ben" for 145GBP/night, which would calc out to an additional $1600 for the week.  I would love a complimentary elite upgrade upon arrival, but I'm not feeling very warm and fuzzy about our chances.  I hope we don't get a cracker box sized room that faces the alley and with boiler noise clanking all night, but $1600 for a better room sort of negates the point of a travel package or a point stay.  It also said on the hotel webpage that the CL is closed on weekends, so I don't know how that will impact free breakfasts on those days.  We shall see.

pluto,

I just went thru the same thing on my trip back here in Feb.

I have some help here on these issues, and am trying to help two others at this time.

Will be sending you a direct message tomorrow on some information that will help you, and I will take it upon myself to address it here as well!

This is not good to spend 200,000 points and then have another large charge.

Will have more soon!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Wow, 240k and they still want cash with that. This is not your grandfather's HGA program.

As we say in Yiddish, it's a shanda.

Hi all,

I am somewhat disturbed at the lack of outrage on this issue.  A free stay, especially the way they have to be earned these days SHOULD BE A FREE STAY.  Adding these fees of up to 200 euros a night - that equals about $272 extra a night for your 'free stay' is outrageous.  We are or in my case were loyal for a reason -- we could get free stays sometimes with upgrades.  This trend is only one of many things that has pushed me to independent hotels and online booking like expedia, orbitz, hotels and booking.  Sigh!

ProfChiara

tryt53 Alumni Steward Platinum 5 Reviews

Hi Prof,

I wonder if it's because this post shows up on my screen as gray (because it has been archived)?  However, I am still able to respond, it seems.  I too am outraged that there could be such fees attached, especially at the rate the points are already getting devalued every year. sigh..

professor,

I have never had to pay for an "Upgrade" in the past, but I do think this will change in the future.  I think it will be at the "Discretion" of each property. Last week it cost me 200,000 points and I got a wonderful upgrade.  When I booked the same hotel in Feb, the computer indicated the same room would be 200,000 points PLUS $1000+ PER NIGHT!

I am not going to go on this trip if I find out two weeks prior to the trip that I will have to stay in a "Standard room", for 200,000 points alone.  Since I buy "Business Class" seats, ( The prices are not as volatile as coach seats) I plan on buying my airline seats, after confirming a decent room!

Does that make sense?

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

Another piece of bad news for Marriott Rewards Points redemption, like the airlines 75 dollar fee assessed for using miles to get a "free" flight!

mikiegfla Platinum 4 Reviews

Don't get me started on that one, not to mention the $150 change fee for the free ticket.

I'm heading to London and Paris in three weeks and found out recently that I could have extended my stay by four days. I called Delta to see what the costs would be to depart from Amsterdam instead of Paris and the response was $600 for all four of us plus an additional 150k miles. To me this seems like a case where they should try to accommodate their customer to save themselves money. My return flight is on a fully booked Air France flight from CDG to MIA. I checked flights from AMS to MIA and there are hundreds of seats still available. Wouldn't it be in Delta's interest to cancel the four seats on the high demand Air France flight in favor of Delta's own flights that are fully open? I guess not.

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews

It is the wave of the future, nothing will be free anymore, points will be worth less, and we'll be once again at the short end of the proverbial stick.

jasper100 Alumni Steward Platinum 10 Reviews

Just another sign that Marriott is losing interest in their best and most loyal customers!!!

Jasper, and all!

We are not needed nor even wanted!

It's sad, and I think it will get worse.  I really blame this attitude on the government.  Everything is about them.  Those that have something need to "Share" with the less fortunate.

I really think these "Free awards", will soon be taxed!  I am using up all my points ASAP!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...