5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 8, 2010 1:02 AM by techie RSS

Service anecdotes

Alumni Steward Platinum 8 Reviews
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone think of a recent perfectly good or perfectly awful Marriott experience that they would care to share here?

Please no last or maybe even first names of the person involved--it appears the moderator removes those kinds of posts anyway.

Spill the beans on the best and worst: prizes will not be awarded other than the amusement and bemusement of your fellow Insiders.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Ventura, California, USA Marriott Hotels & Resorts Ventura Beach Marriott
  • Re: Service anecdotes
    shoeman1000 Platinum 4 Reviews

There is a particular  full service Marriott (Stamford Ct) that I stay at 80-100 nights a year.  I have ALWAYS found the front desk personell, bellmen, consierge attendants, etc to be very pleasant.  Each of them, including management knew full-well my frustration with the work out remodel taking 3 months to complete.  I would inquire as to the progress of the remodel daily, only to be told it would still be "a while".  Well, I checked in a few weeks ago and noticed everyone greeting me had a big grin on their face.  When I inquired about the workout area, the manager apperared from nowhere to inform me that "tomorrow" would be the day.  That was music to my ears and let them know I would look forward to workingt out the following evening.  When I arrived at the hotel the following evening, more big grins welcomed me and I was asked when I would be going down to the workout room.  I was anxious to give it a go and said I was going straight up to the rooom to changes and would be working out immediately.  Well, I got to the workout room to find 10-15 hotel emplyees waiting for me so that I could have the honor of the ceremonial cutting of the tape.  They made me feel special that day, and turned a several month negative into an unforgettable positive.  Thank you Marriott!!!

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

fieldengineer Platinum 4 Reviews

One of my best hotel experiences was when I was working with a coworker at a very challenging job located near Ventura California.  I was a platinum member when I made reservations at the Ventura Beach Marriott (for a very reasonable rate) and they upgraded me to a suite (that was usually an extra 200-300 dollars a night).  The room was extremely nice with a separate bedroom and two bathrooms (didn't know which one to use).  Couple this with the concierge lounge and I very much enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Well the job ran into some challenges and it appeared that the commissioning of the paralleling switchgear was going to take at least one more day than anticipated.  At this point, both me and my coworker were concerned about our hotel accomodations because (due to peak tourist season) everything was booked in the area.  We both had to use our platinum status (mine with Marriott Rewards and his with Priority Club) to guarantee our reservation. 

While stuck at the jobsite; both me and my coworker called to extend our reservations.  To my surprise; the Marriott had no problem extending my stay in the same suite for the extra night.  My coworker wasn't so lucky with Crowne Plaza he was staying at.  After dealing with the travel agency for about an hour he finally told me that he wasn't able to find any availability in the area and was going to have to drive some 40 miles to another hotel.

Having razzed each other about who's hotel chain (he was a strong advocate of Holiday Inn) was better on several previous jobs; I thought it would be humorous to see if I could get Marriott to open up something for him.  I called the hotel and explained the situation (being sure to mention that he was a platinum member with Priority Club) and asked if they could do anything.  The lady who answered the phone said that they were completely booked but asked me to hold while she talked to someone.  When she got back on the line; she told me to bring him with me when we were finished for the day and that they would take care of him.

Oh, the grin on my face must have been ear to ear when I told him that Marriott was going to take care of him.  To both of our surprise when we showed up at the hotel; they gave him the same type of suite for the same rate as they gave me.  The hotel's service and accomodations were exceptional.  He enjoyed the room and appreciated not having to drive 40 miles so much that he grabbed an application for Marriott Rewards that next morning.  It was definitely an enjoyable experience; courtesy of Marriott.

Regards

FieldEngineer

cmartin Member 4 Reviews

I recently traveled to Raleigh, NC and wanted to stay at a Courtyard Hotel having experienced a stay there in previous travels.

I had never stayed at the Raleigh Crabtree Marriot Courtyard so I didn't have a clue how to get there from the airport. I got some directions at the car rental pickup, but as it turned out, I was given directions to the wrong hotel.

I called the Raleigh Crabtree Morriot Courtyard Hotel and the Manager, Yvonne answered the call. Not only did she take personal reponsibility to ensure that my wife and I safely arrived to her hotel, but she actually came out to greet us and to take our luggage in when we did arrive. She also took very good care to see that any and everything we needed was fully accomodated and gave some of the best customer service I've ever experienced. Having been in the "Customer Service Industry" for the better of 40 plus years, I feel adequately qualified to saying that she exemplifies  the very essence of customer care and I can see why she is well qualifed to lead a dedicated team of likewise gracious and caring staff.

I think you can guess where I'll be staying in future visits to Raleigh.

Thank you so much for recognizing the talent and leadership of Yvonne and I hope that she is duly rewarded for her superior leadership qualities.

Very pleased guest.

Charles A Martin

engineergirl Platinum 1 Reviews

Recently, I arrived at noon for a brief 2 night stay at the Long Island Marriott.  I was not feeling well and decided to forgo my requested king in order to be able to check in early.  After an afternoon meeting, I returned to my room to freshen up before dinner.  There, I was met with very lively, very LOUD piano music.  I went upstairs to investigate and found the music was coming from the Presidential Suite.  When I went to dinner, I mentioned all of this to the front desk.  They offered to move me, even though it meant my room would not be available for another customer that night since I'd taken a nap and shower there that afternoon.  It was such a nice surprise when I changed rooms after dinner and found they'd moved me to a suite.  These folks could've taken a different road when dealing with me, yet they went above and beyond to make sure I was more than adequately satisfied and in a quiet room.  I really, really appreciated it and made sure to tell the GM who happened to be onsite when I checked out.

techie Platinum 7 Reviews

I don't have any of those really outrageously "good" stories.  But let's see:

At the last Marriott I stayed at, I had a pretty darned good sleep every night I was there.

At the Marriott before that, I had a pretty darned good sleep every night I was there.

At the Marriott before that, I had a pretty darned good sleep every night I was there.

I could keep typing this a few more times, and you would likely get my drift.

At the last Hilton Garden Inn I was at, they had an adjustable bed, but the adjustments didn't make any difference and it was as hard as a rock.  I'm not saying all of the HGI's are bad, but they had their little chance while Marriott was full, and quite frankly they blew it.

Things don't go perfect for me every time, but really I don't have a whole lot to complain about.  Ever since Marriott standardized on comfy beds some years ago, it has been a lot better.  It was a pain keeping track of which Marriotts had good beds and which ones did not.

I'm going to stay at four Marriott properties (at the very least) between now and the rest of the year, and by and large, I expect the experiences will be just fine.

Thank you.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...