5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 27, 2010 12:29 AM by tjcnewyork RSS

Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program

netfix Member
Currently Being Moderated

Does anybody know why the MVC owners in Spain/Europe are excluded from the Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program ?

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

Location Brand Hotel
Spain
  • Re: Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program
    tjcnewyork Platinum

Excellent question.  This is not to evade, but my hunch is that there may be significant legal hurdles. As a form of real estate, sales of timeshare is subject to regulations and taxes.  Real estate transactions are complex and can vary by city, county, state/province and country.  Europe is a region comprised of many countries, so the expectation is that a legal subject matter expert in European real estate transactions is best equipped to answer.

The Destination Club involves sales of a 'land trust'.  According to MVC's legal disclosure, there are 11 resorts presently included in the land trust. The location of same is disclosed in the sales contract.  This is very different from purchasing deeded timeshare at a home resort which is weeks-based.

In the United States, most states (if not all) require that Marriott Vacation Club be registered.  As of the launch of the Destination Club, the State and Legal Disclosure lists only 39 of 50 states.  Marriott Vacation Club is ~not~ registered in New York, yet.  This means they are prohibited by law from direct solicitation or making an offering to a resident of New York on Destination Club.

Since September 11, 2001, the US Patriot Act has added layers of scrutiny on financial transactions and real estate is part of the bucket.  Could timeshare purchase, sale, exchange and transfer be another intricate way to shield money laundering?  Allies of the United States include many members of NATO.  Spain and France where MVC has resorts are member countries.

Again, this is only a hunch; but thanks for asking.

(For each location tag, you will be guided through a 3-step process to add (1) a city and a state or a city and a country, (2) a Marriott brand, and (3) a Marriott hotel.)

klaus29 Silver

after my information

in europe  you  dont have a law, for all what is

timeschare.  also attention  bevore you buy

in europe.

only in 1  country  you  have the law, in france.

i see  in spain  weeks  for 1 euro for selt.

maintenance fee  to hight. not affiled a interval.

the  standart  to low, when you check in you have

to rent  the linen for the  bed, and the towels for

the bathroom.

the appartment is clean only 1 time  the  week.

sure  i dont speak from marriott, but you dont have

a law  what  protect you in europe from timeschare

disorder.

tjcnewyork Platinum

Regrets Klaus,

It's slightly over a month since Marriott Vacation Club announced without any prior notice that they have changed all the ground rules and will discontinue selling weeks-based timeshare.

Since Marriott is not registered to sell Destination Club in New York, they cannot actively solicit residents of the state - even though they may be MVC owners - or make offers.   W/o a contract to refer to, it would be potentially misleading to attempt an answer.

Regrets

lesliepamel Platinum

I guess that that will be because it is a very unfair system that will not be at all popular in Europe.

tjcnewyork Platinum

"I guess that that will be because it is a very unfair system that will not be at all popular in Europe."

Greetings LesliePamel,

At Marriott's Cypress Harbour recently we met two couples from the UK.  Interestingly, they had differing views on the Vacation Club Destinations Program rooted in what different sales executives told them.  Comparing notes we realized that our sales executive put a different spin as well.  What we had common concerns about how shrinking Marriott inventory will impact future exchanges.

Quite honestly I don't have any confidence in the information that the sales executive gave.   So, it would be premature for me, IMO to agree that the program is unfair.  What I do think is unfair is the lack of factual, consistent and substantive information from Marriott sales.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...